Starting out DIY. About to make a large purchase from TFA, Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flybykite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I'd like to start mixing more regularly and I've got about 60 flavors in my cart from TFA. I seem to remember reading others doing something similar in the beginning but don't remember if there was some revolutionary hind sight. I would order smaller batches over time but I decided to go large and save on the shipping costs to Canada.
Getting mostly 15 mil and 1 oz sizes.
Is this a big mistake?
I have 18 vz tobacco flavors from a similar order and there are at least 8 I really like but don't entirely regret the order.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
If you can afford it and you look at it as a hobby or a collection, you should go ahead. However I would say that most of those flavors are going to be unused for a very long time. My opinion is you should try 6 or 8 of them, because soon you will want to try Flavourart, Hangsen, Inawera. 60 tfa really? Not bashing them but you can do better.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
Most of us have flavor vials that have never been opened. Sounded good at the time but never got around to them. I would suggest trying a vendor like Bullcityvapor where you can get flavors from different flavor vendors at one stop. I would also recommend just picking what you consider the absolute basic flavors that you like and experiment with them first. You will learn your own flavor profile desires and can follow those leads.

flybykite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OK, perhaps I'll reconsider the 60 flavors and just go with 15 or so. . I'm now looking at flavor art and finding things I'd like to try. These seem to be ultra concentrates which I prefer as well. Probably easier to begin with I imagine.
So far, I've been vaping mostly ecblends and while I really like about 10 of the flavors, I'm craving a bit more complexity or true flavors. Seems I always find a commonality in the flavors from any one particular vendor and thus the reason for wanting to DIY. Just not sure if concentrated flavs are the same way.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Most of us have flavor vials that have never been opened. Sounded good at the time but never got around to them. I would suggest trying a vendor like Bullcityvapor where you can get flavors from different flavor vendors at one stop. I would also recommend just picking what you consider the absolute basic flavors that you like and experiment with them first. You will learn your own flavor profile desires and can follow those leads.

I agree with GaryinTexas, take a look at Bullcityvapor website. They carry Flavourart, Capella, TFA, Inawera, Flavorwest ans also other DIY supplies. Their service is #1 and they ship very fast.

flybykite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I agree with GaryinTexas, take a look at Bullcityvapor website. They carry Flavourart, Capella, TFA, Inawera, Flavorwest ans also other DIY supplies. Their service is #1 and they ship very fast.
Seems they do not ship to Canada. :( only USA locations. Maybe I'll call them and ask nicely.

disco180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
New York
I started out the same way myself actually...My first DIY order was about $100. I had about 35 TFA flavors, the price seemed cheap to me for the flavors, and I just swore I was going to be mixing and vaping all the time. The reality was that the learning curve is steep with TFA flavors no matter what you read on percentages posted on in the forum it just wont be right for YOU most times. There will be a lot of mixing and waiting for things to develop, some flavors you will just not like, some you will love. some mixes the sink will enjoy more then you, etc. IMHO start off with a handful of flavors from a variety of vendors and get flavors that you can identify and make a lot of single flavor mixes first like was stated in this thread.

The more flavors you have on hand will lead you to doing multi flavored mixes that you arent ready for ...you will strike a few oil spots and get rich..but for the most part those early multi flavored TFA mixes will become a part of the sewer system. :)

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
My advice when ordering new flavors is get the sample sizes (no matter what company your trying). I ordered a bunch of 8ml sample sizes from Wizard Labs when I first started at $1.49 each. No matter how good they sound, the only way to truly know if your going to like it is try it. I loved some, liked others, and a few didn't like at all. At 1.49 each at least you're not out a lot of money if you don't like some. Just my :2c:

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
I began with about 10 flavors from Capella, and I wanted more right away once I figured out that DIY was going to be a thing for me. I made a large order to TFA, and I use a lot of them but I bought flavors I knew I liked. I agree with disco, there is a learning curve with TFA; it is best to start low on % and work up. Even fruit flavors seem to benefit from steeping. Capella stuff is mostly good at 15% as a single flavor, or a combination totaling that with multiple flavors. Good luck, and happy mixing!

Me, I'm a minimalist. Start with a few flavors, get a real sense for them at different percentages. All those flavors, and mixing them together to start...no. Don't know the shipping cost but does it equal 20 unused flavors? Guess it depends on your funds. I personally would start with, find a base and build on it. Then expand. Just an example...I like tobacco. Got a couple, like one in particular and another could add a little to it. So I'm playing with 2 ...I'll add more later, maybe. Some accents, bourbon or apple,whatever. You got too much to seriously explore each of them.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
just a thought---
There are many threads on here that show opinions - "user ratings" - on which flavors are the best from each manufacturer, and also on what percentage of that flavor would be a good starting point. There is tons of searchable info here, that can save you on the amount of "time" and frustration that you will find when mixing and trying to find your perfect blend. I've been mixing for about 8 mos. now and have found only 4 flavors that I buy that are 30ml. in size. I have over 100 in smaller sizes..mostly all those have only been sampled and only half of those I use in my vape mixes. Life span on flavors is generally 1 or 2 years - (don't quote me on that). It takes a long time to use up and VAPE those flavors !!!
just my :2c:
Happy Mixing :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread