The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Steam Engine Calculator Question

Discussion in 'RTA' started by john1211, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. john1211

john1211 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Troy, NY
    What does the Mod setting, Wattage-Voltage mean when you calculate a coil build?

thanks

2. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    What are you looking at... which tab are you using? For coil building you use the "Coil wrapping" tab and I am not seeing those categories.:confused:
    upload_2017-10-24_8-24-1.png

When in doubt; scroll down, and you should see help notes:
    upload_2017-10-24_8-26-33.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    If you scroll down, there's a lot of information about how Steam Engine works in the various modes. What you want to read about is the Heat Flux entry under Reading the Results.

In the Coil Wrapping tab once you fill in the left column with wire type, wire size, single/dual coil, and resistance wanted then SE will calculate the coil turns in the 3rd column and give you the optimum wattage/voltage that produces the best vape for that coil. Those numbers are what SE suggests you set your mod to.

If you are looking for a coil that produces a given wattage range, then play with the numbers in the left column and watch the results change in the 3rd column. The heat flux values are the optimum voltage/wattage that make the coil heat up quickly and provide the best vape (in their opinion). It's a good starting point for a new coil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    IDJoel, he's talking about the heat flux numbers at the bottom of the 3rd column (results).

• Like Like x 2
  5. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Okay... now I see it... the very bottom right. Depending on whether your regulated mod displays in wattage or voltage, that (wattage, or voltage) is the value you want to set your mod to, to achieve that particular heat flux equivalent.

Thanks for the clarification @DaveP, and I apologize @john1211, for not understanding when I replied.:blush:

• Like Like x 2
  6. john1211

john1211 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Troy, NY
    ok i get it, thanks

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.