Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Well I tried a spaced build as suggested using ss 316L 26g and a 3.0 ID. I watched a couple of videos first. Tried for .4 used SE did 6/5 wraps. Fired beautifully and right on target at .44 ohms.

Attempted wicking with rayon again. Attempted is the key word lol!

I don’t know what’s happening. I got it wicked and primed still looked good. Put it on a mod and the mod reads the coil at .5 another mod reads .48 ohms. Anything over 25 watts and I’m getting dry hits. Still not getting much flavor at all even with closing the airflow half way. Lots of spitting and gurgling though. I’m thinking I didn’t use enough rayon in the coil area but I’m not sure.

Kind of frustrating! I know I know “there’s a learning curve”.
It looks really good(the pics). Much better than my first one.....lol

The only suggestion I have is on the last pic. The tails on the top part of the coil are too short. I would trim the tails at the bottom a little short and leave the strands on the top (near the coil) a little longer as to actually go down past the should area. The short strands on the bottom of the coil, being short will also help the ejucie to absorb up and allow the longer tails to pick that up. If that makes any sense.

And the cotton/rayon also needs to be just in the channel so you can see a bit of it but don't stuff it, it needs to be kinda loose.

:)

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Hi again.
Sometimes flavor does not kick in fully until the 2nd tank. One thing I do, is before putting tank back together is to saturate the coil and wicks with ejuice. Then pulse it and allow the coil to start giving off vapor. I am really sensitive to the taste of any cotton including rayon. Not only is my coil primed when starting to vape, but pulsing like I just described takes away any odd taste of the rayon/cotton. Dry hits and spit back indicate 2 things.
1. juice is not getting to the center of the coil and the juice is not flowing up the tails quickly enough(too much cotton in the tails)
2. Spit back is a result of too much ejuice not being absorbed and is already too saturated and just lays on top of the coil.
Since these are kinda opposite things you need to fix one thing at a time and test.

Ok the 2 tanks is good to know. I’ll try rewicking it tomorrow and start with thinning the tails even more. Thanks for your help. Been a bit frustrated with this.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
B8C49DDC-2435-4803-8848-AB00CA05E192.jpeg
Well I tried a spaced build as suggested using ss 316L 26g and a 3.0 ID. I watched a couple of videos first. Tried for .4 used SE did 6/5 wraps. Fired beautifully and right on target at .44 ohms.

Attempted wicking with rayon again. Attempted is the key word lol!

I don’t know what’s happening. I got it wicked and primed still looked good. Put it on a mod and the mod reads the coil at .5 another mod reads .48 ohms. Anything over 25 watts and I’m getting dry hits. Still not getting much flavor at all even with closing the airflow half way. Lots of spitting and gurgling though. I’m thinking I didn’t use enough rayon in the coil area but I’m not sure.

Kind of frustrating! I know I know “there’s a learning curve”.
Don’t mind my coils, time for a dry burn & new wick, I’ve been using it for a long while. I use rayon too. Pull your coil up higher use my pic for height reference. Also trim your wick at any angle to about 1/2 the thickness it is now with your scissors angled toward the coil. Hope this helps.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Ok the 2 tanks is good to know. I’ll try rewicking it tomorrow and start with thinning the tails even more. Thanks for your help. Been a bit frustrated with this.
I know...been there myself....heck anyone that builds has. But you are well on your way. Looks like you have done a really good job, you should pat yourself on the back.

Other things I do is go to youtube and in their search engine ask for the type of tank I want to build. Usually there are several to pick from. I do this especially when I get a new tank. I type something like
how to build a xxxx. I usually look a at least a couple of them to get a feel for the method of wicking being used. Make sure the title has builds in it tho. Some are just reviews and don't help at all.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
View attachment 729903
Don’t mind my coils, time for a dry burn & new wick, I’ve been using it for a long while. I use rayon too. Pull your coil up higher use my pic for height reference. Also trim your wick at any angle to about 1/2 the thickness it is now with your scissors angled toward the coil. Hope this helps.

Ok even more off the tails. Ok gotcha. Thanks

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
For whatever it's worth, a change in flavor is a natural property of rayon wicks. Fans of rayon attribute the different flavor to not tasting the cotton, those (like myself) who don't dig rayon will tell you it mutes the flavor as opposed to cotton. It's all a matter of opinion, there's no real right or wrong, but that could explain you not getting the flavor that you're expecting.

What's not a matter of opinion is that Rayon works differently than cotton. If you imagine spilling water on a counter, then laying a paper towel over the spill. Initially the towel will be wet where the water spot is, but the water will quickly spread throughout the towel as it absorbs the water. Eventually, the whole towel will be wet as it absorbs. This is more or less how your cotton wicks work.

Rayon. on the other hand, works more like laying a hand towel on the water. It will absorb the water in spots but be dry in others. Unless, of course, there is enough water to wet the whole towel. So basically, you need to plan your rayon like a channel. You basically want it to leak at the bottom and dam up under the coil. It's more like directing juice to the coils instead of spreading it to them.

Undoubtedly, rayon is tougher to work with. Arguably, it's an inferior materiel. Can you name a coil manufacturer that uses rayon as opposed to organic cotton in their coils? There's a reason why most, if not all, use cotton.

My suggestion would be to wick the tank with cotton. Once you have it working right and you know how it should perform, you can give the rayon a try again. It will be easier to figure out once you have mastered the cotton, and it will allow you to compare and contrast the two to see which you prefer.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
For whatever it's worth, a change in flavor is a natural property of rayon wicks. Fans of rayon attribute the different flavor to not tasting the cotton, those (like myself) who don't dig rayon will tell you it mutes the flavor as opposed to cotton. It's all a matter of opinion, there's no real right or wrong, but that could explain you not getting the flavor that you're expecting.

What's not a matter of opinion is that Rayon works differently than cotton. If you imagine spilling water on a counter, then laying a paper towel over the spill. Initially the towel will be wet where the water spot is, but the water will quickly spread throughout the towel as it absorbs the water. Eventually, the whole towel will be wet as it absorbs. This is more or less how your cotton wicks work.

Rayon. on the other hand, works more like laying a hand towel on the water. It will absorb the water in spots but be dry in others. Unless, of course, there is enough water to wet the whole towel. So basically, you need to plan your rayon like a channel. You basically want it to leak at the bottom and dam up under the coil. It's more like directing juice to the coils instead of spreading it to them.

Undoubtedly, rayon is tougher to work with. Arguably, it's an inferior materiel. Can you name a coil manufacturer that uses rayon as opposed to organic cotton in their coils? There's a reason why most, if not all, use cotton.

My suggestion would be to wick the tank with cotton. Once you have it working right and you know how it should perform, you can give the rayon a try again. It will be easier to figure out once you have mastered the cotton, and it will allow you to compare and contrast the two to see which you prefer.

Thank you for the suggestion. Definitely am going to give it a try as well.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Success!
I raised the coil slightly and thinned out the tails as suggested. Have it on tc mode and is vaping perfectly!

Thanks for all the help you guys <3 :)

The flavor is already popping and there is very little popping/spitting like my 1st attempt had. I’m REALLY excited right now :thumbs: !

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
i use rayon with that build and don't have any problem with it. Hard to tell but the pictures looks like maybe not enough in the coil. With rayon you need it tight in the coil. Not tight enough to distort the coil when pulling but tight enough for some resistance. Also looks like some of the fibers are too short and sticking out. It needs to be long enough the fibers to touch the bottom deck.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Every time I refill the nano I keep getting a mouthful of e juice the first few draws. It’s gross. I’m not overfilling it as a matter of fact I don’t even fill it to the top. Does this happen to anyone else? If so any suggestions on how to reduce it from happening. Thanks

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
25 watts is lot for that coil also I think. I use 20W with it set at 420F and it works well with that.

I had a pack of these in a drawer that I got from Fasttech several months ago. Never got around to using them. Tried one and liking it quite a bit. Might be on the verge of switching over to clapton wire for my RTAs.

$1.91 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Clapton Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (10-Pack) - 24*32 AWG / 0.5*0.2mm dia. / 0.42ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
5573801-3.jpg

I’ve been using at 40watts and 390f on a Revenger X and seems fine but should I lower the wattage?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Every time I refill the nano I keep getting a mouthful of e juice the first few draws. It’s gross. I’m not overfilling it as a matter of fact I don’t even fill it to the top. Does this happen to anyone else? If so any suggestions on how to reduce it from happening. Thanks
My first instinct is to check the wicking. That or you’re somehow getting juice into the draw tube some other way. You could also shake it out once after filling it.

• Agree

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Ok I figured this out and will post just in case someone else has this mouthful of juice issue after refills the OBD Engine Nano...

The nano is a side fill so I was holding it almost horizontally as I filled it because it was easier. Somehow that makes juice get somewhere it shouldn’t be or too much juice than it should be.

Today I held the unit upright and no problems with juice spurting out.

So refill it in the upright position. Ya Da!!

• Useful

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Update:
I ended up still having spit back issues again after refilling the engine nano so I did a google search. I found a solution on Reddit-

Prior to refilling the tank close the AF ring and cover the drip tip opening with a finger. Then raise the side fill ring while still keeping the finger over the drip tip. Refill and close ring. Only then take your finger off the drip tip and open the airflow.

Absolutely no spit back or gurgling. It has something to do with the vacuum pressure or some such. All I know is it’s working wonderfully now!

Hope this update helps anyone else having the same issue!!

Reactions: MacTechVpr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread