Status
Not open for further replies.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Just let it sit a week or maybe two. Some juices may get a lot more flavorful, brighter, better throat hit. Some juices don't change all that much while others might change completely. I've had juices go from mmmmmmm fantastic to "yuck" after they've sat around 4,5 months. Most importantly, it's personal preference. You really don't have to let them steep but some will swear by it.

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
The "mystical steep"... Same thing as aging good cheese.

No rhyme or reason to this one, simply trial and error (and maybe a little voodoo:p). Some juices I get are tasty straight away, some need to sit and "steep". I taste new juices when i get them and if they're not quite there I take off the cap (and the drip tip) and sit it over night in my cool dark juice cabinet. After that I cap it back up and give it a good shake every day. for me at least, everything tastes better after a week, some have take a month.

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
'Steeping' means to age and mingle to me

Steeping, like many things here, is all down to personal taste. I haven't found many shop bought juices that need to be steeped but if something had been out of stock just before it arrived then I do tend to just let it sit in the dark, with the cap on for about a week just giving it a good shake everyday.

I find steeping is a nesseccary step though when dealing with DIY juices, even if it is just a case of mixing shop made juices, it allows for all the flavours to completely mingle together and they will taste fuller.

There is no right or wrong way to 'steep' a juice either, everyone finds a method that suits them and their juice best.

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
I've found a lot of things we do in vaping relate to things we do in the kitchen & for me, steeping liquids is one of them. The more complex the flavor combination, the more important it is to steep. I think of it as similar to a pot of stew; if it has a lot of different flavors in it, it will be a *lot* better the day after it's cooked, and even better the next day and so on, until the day before it spoils. OTOH if it's a simple soup or stew with only a couple ingredients, while it will benefit somewhat from sitting the benefit will be much less significant.

Also there are what I think of as "flash steeping" methods, one of which I use on my small trial DIY mixes. When I get a 5 - 10 ml test batch about where I want it I sit it (mixed in a tall shot glass) into a Pyrex 2-cup measuring cup just over half full of almost-boiling water. Then, using a large pipette I draw up juice from the bottom & squirt it down the inside walls of the shot glass, heating & mixing it repeatedly as the water cools. After a few minutes of this I allow it to sit in the cup of water until it approaches room temp., then remove it & try it on a clean atty. So far this method seems very effective for small batches such as this. *I don't know it I'd recommend it for larger batches intended to last several weeks though.* This might cause it to age prematurely, I just don't know. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread