What is Steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Ruger

Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Southern Utah
Hubby and I went to our favorite vape shop in St. George, and heard a young man talking to one of the guys about the ejuice he was buying, and they talked about letting it "Steep" for a few days. Just wondering what they meant. I was thinking about it tonite, and thought I'd ask!:confused:
I know what "steeping" means as far as letting a cup of tea steep. Do you just let the flavor sit and maybe develop, or is it something else?:blush:

Lady Ruger

( SO much to learn! Just glad I found this site with all the very patient teachers!):)

Jan 5, 2014
Top, Left, USA
I'm a noob so take this with a grain of salt. If the e-juice was made with a flavor that contains alcohol then taking the lid off the juice and letting the bottle sit for a while will allow the alcohol to evaporate, leaving you with the flavor you paid for.

I'm sitting here at the computer enjoying my first DIY e-juice. I mixed the flavoring, PG and VG together in a Pyrex beaker. I then set the beaker on a hotplate to evaporate the alcohol (rapid steeping?). After it cooled to ambient temperature, I added the nicotine and loaded up my vaporizer. It tastes pretty good and cost me about a penny for a milliliter of juice.

There are all kinds of claims out there about steeping but alcohol evaporation is the only one that makes logical sense to me.

Jan 5, 2014
Top, Left, USA
edge64
I've been vaping for less than 2 months but I jumped in with both feet. I haven't smoked a cigarette since my very first puff on a vaporizer. Immediately I started reading everything I could find about the subject. I started wrapping my own coils for my EVOD BCC within a week and now I've started mixing my own e-juice. I'm a firm believer in DIY. The more you can do for yourself the less you have to pay someone else to do.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Some flavors - most fruits for example do not benefit - or benefit minimally from a steep. Tobaccos on the other hand - taste totally different throughout the mixing and steeping process.

^^^ This exactly. Some can take 4-6 weeks, when u have several then the wait is easy and worth it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree about the alcohol evaporation. I tried steeping juices in the dark with the cap on with little improvement. Once I started leaving the caps off for about a week, the bitter flavor left the juice. I also think that there's a certain amount of blending that takes place at the molecular level when juices are mixed that improves with age, but alcohol evaporation is the greatest improvement, IMO.

I think that alcohol is in many of the flavorings just as a catalyst that improves the mixing of the ingredients. I recently left two 50ml bottles of Dekang RY4 open for a week. At the end of the week, after shaking them daily with the caps off, the bitter "green grass" taste had left and the juice was good.

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
You know how soups, stews, spaghetti, etc taste better the next day? Same concept. It allows flavors to meld and alcohol to evaporate. It does improve flavor. However in my experience if I dont like a flavor when its fresh I still wont like it when it steeps. But if I like a flavor it will make it tastier. The only exception to this rule is alcohol evaporation. If a juice taste bad because of alcohol, steeping does a great job of correcting this.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Has anyone had success UC steeping with plastic bottles? I am a new vaper and so far the only glass bottles I have are the Halo juices and I've found that they dont seem to need steeping. Everything else I have is in plastic.

PET plastic bottles (most common) degrade and will leach toxic molecules into the liquid at or above 140 degrees F. so it would be really important to know the exact temp of the bottle well its in the UC.
also, for this reason you should not leave PET bottles that you intend to use in a hot car (more of a summer time issue).

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I'm a noob so take this with a grain of salt. If the e-juice was made with a flavor that contains alcohol then taking the lid off the juice and letting the bottle sit for a while will allow the alcohol to evaporate, leaving you with the flavor you paid for.

I'm sitting here at the computer enjoying my first DIY e-juice. I mixed the flavoring, PG and VG together in a Pyrex beaker. I then set the beaker on a hotplate to evaporate the alcohol (rapid steeping?). After it cooled to ambient temperature, I added the nicotine and loaded up my vaporizer. It tastes pretty good and cost me about a penny for a milliliter of juice.

There are all kinds of claims out there about steeping but alcohol evaporation is the only one that makes logical sense to me.

You've more experience than your post count might suggest, yes? OK fine and WELCOME. There are really two (or more) different subjects here:

You note - "There are all kinds of claims out there about steeping...". This may be true in part - but incorrect in the other. "Steeping" is simply a process in which fresh juice is NOT immediately USED, but rather allowed to 'sit' for a few days or weeks to allow the flavour to dissipate throughout the juice; some even claim months is best.

Veterans of the 'DIY' process seem to agree most all 'flavors' benefit - either by becoming more or less pronounced and TO THEIR INDIVIDUAL LIKING when allowed to "steep" ......aka: "allow the ingredients to mix". You may have read and if not you will that we all MAY differ in how we perceive the 'taste' (and 'smell') of any given mixture.

'STEEP' HOW? ---Also where individual preferences may differ - yet essentially the end-result is the same. Producers and 'DIY' veterans alike may have the same OR different suggestions as to HOW LONG to allow 'juice' to 'steep'; hours, days, weeks and even months. The same applies to the METHOD utilized. Some suggest and prefer the CAP ON method which may allow the 'ingredient mixing' while not allowing much evaporation of ingredients. The obvious alternative - the OR CAP OFF method allows any ingredients one may WANT TO evaporate to do so more quickly and speed the flavor mixing process. The goal of each process? To allow the flavour to dissipate throughout the juice.

You also note: "I .....set the beaker on a hotplate (sic) to evaporate the alcohol (rapid steeping?)"; and additionally as noted say, "There are all kinds of claims out there about steeping but alcohol evaporation is the only one that makes logical sense to me."

"The "alcohol evaporation" expedited by 'heat' which you suspect is the "...only one that makes logical sense..." (to you) - while allowing the unwanted alcohol to 'evaporate' does not appear to enhance the MIXING OF FLAVORS which is the ultimate goal. Time allows the ingredients to mix naturally - some taking less or more time than others. Certainly heat removes the unwanted alcohol - although some folks like the presence of alcohol so it may be vaporized upon taking a "hit".

I am definitely NOT an expert nor am I a 'veteran' when it comes to 'DIY' or 'pre-made juices'. What i have done is 'research' / 'read' - both here on ECF as well as on the many sites of those who commercially produce 'juices'. Opinions vary - the process varies - yet in virtually all cases if the recommendation is to let a 'juice' sit with cap on OR off the end result is a positive one. I have not seen a recommendation from any vendor that the 'juice' would require 'heating' to allow any ingredient to evaporate / dissipate.

Much of my personal and limited 'DIY' has been to make a 'batch' and divide it in to four bottles. I chose to allow them to sit with the caps OFF rather than 'ON' ( a personal decision so each would be evaluated following the same method). One sits for a week, one for two weeks, one for three weeks and the last for four weeks. I take care to evaluate MY perceived 'taste' of each and I make a note when a given bottle is completely gone. Sampling over different times has given me a good indication as to how long I need to let MY 'juice' sit and 'mix'. I have found that for MY 'taste' likes - it is far better than mixing, shaking and shaking and shaking then immediately 'using'; MY 'taster' says, "time does make it better".

A lot of words I know .... I ramble (did ya notice?) on and on ......... but as an old goat I can't change now! A final thought: I DO believe, "The 'heat' can actually degrade taste AND add little, if anything, to MY - 'allow the ingredients to mix OVER TIME' philosophy. Those little bottles are inexpensive and lord only knows WHAT may happen when they are subjected to even a low degree of heat WITH JUICE INSIDE. ** Obviously - opinions will vary; opinions are like that, huh?

Good luck no matter which method you decide is best for YOU. Recommendations are great - personal experiences tell us what works.

Senile Old Man Don

*** The 'up side' ......... I won't be rambling on again for a few hours! ECF will be safe!

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Last edited:

Lady Ruger

Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Southern Utah
That makes sense! It's a kin to letting a good whiskey age. The shop we go to makes a lot of their own blends, and I have noticed that as we've had them here at home that the flavor tends to get better. There is one that they make that I noticed that if you don't shake the crap out of it, the mix will separate! Even when it is in the tank! It's call RedHotts and it tastes just like the Cinnamon Red Hots Candy, it's just a pain to have to shake it while vaping!
Thanks guys! More info that I will need later! Hubby says he can't see going to the expense of mixing your own, but I can! (I love to cook, so this will be fun for me);)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
That makes sense! It's a kin to letting a good whiskey age. The shop we go to makes a lot of their own blends, and I have noticed that as we've had them here at home that the flavor tends to get better. There is one that they make that I noticed that if you don't shake the crap out of it, the mix will separate! Even when it is in the tank! It's call RedHotts and it tastes just like the Cinnamon Red Hots Candy, it's just a pain to have to shake it while vaping!
Thanks guys! More info that I will need later! Hubby says he can't see going to the expense of mixing your own, but I can! (I love to cook, so this will be fun for me);)

Be careful with cinnamon and plastic tanks. This is a list that all vapers should bookmark. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-41.html

That thread is an informative thread if you care to read it.

:)

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Also keep in mind, the more complex the liquid, the longer or better chance it will need to steep.

I've written a little blog on steeping and vapors tongue.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/robino1/3343-steeping-why-critical-fresh-juices.html

A short read but it may explain a bit.

:)

Good One Robin. I may shorten my method and see what happens to my taster-buddies. Always willing to try a potentially equally as good and potentially more efficient method. THANKS for sharing! :2cool::2cool:

Senile Old Man Don ........... Lordie! He actually AGREED to try somethin' 'new'!:blink: In LESS THAN 65 lines too!:blush:

*** I get a 'BRANDY' flavor from my local guys. It DOES get much better with age. Could it be the 3ml of Old Granny's Genuine Cookin' Brandy I keep addin' to the bottle?:lol: Well ......... perhaps! Time will tell!:thumb:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread