Not open for further replies.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
So I keep seeing all this hype about Ultrasonic Cleaners, but what about magnetic stirrer hot plates? I've got one at home that I never use anymore and thought "oh wow, this will probably work amazing" - so have any of you guys tried it?

Question #2 - do you think I could use regular amber glass bottles for this or should I maybe get some small pyrex labware (small Erlenmeyer flasks? I'd love to be able to just use it in the bottle I store it in so I don't lose a lot of juice transferring containers)

Question #3 - I still need to get some magnetic stir rods, not sure if there is a specific one I should use for thick VG or not, but figured I'd ask before just buying a couple.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I've seen some discussion and as far as steeping It should work but it's way down the list of preferred methods. Also I've read that straight VG may be to thick for a magnetic stirrer. But if you already got a stirrer then there's no harm in trying it. Jut pore some straight VG in it and give it a try. And I would do it in glass bottles. I've read the thinner the glass the better it works. Can't help you with the rods.

Last edited:

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Is it lower on the preferred list due to cost or functionality? I would imagine it would mix better than an Ultra Sonic Cleaner?
I don't have a magnetic rod, but I'm gonna order one and try it out. I'll definitely use glass... I mean't those typical amber glass bottles.. but I think I will probably find something that is specifically ment for it.. I've got some flasks I can use, so maybe I will give that a whirl (no pun intended!)

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Sounds like it should work. The mag stir bar will spin in VG, but the entire liquid will swirl better if it is warm. The bottle should be closed and there should be some headroom in case of warming-expansion. If it is a working hotplate too, it should be set to low. The liquid should never go above about 60 degrees C. Better might be to have the bottle sitting in a warm water bath on top of the stir-plate of known temperature. Water baths will never go above 100 C.

I've not explored this, nor an ultra-sound cleaner. 90% of the time I just mix and shake. Sometimes I will toss a juice bottle into warm water if my house is cold (only VG juices here), then shake it up more. Steeping for me usually just means making a juice and letting the bottle sit for several days.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Better might be to have the bottle sitting in a warm water bath on top of the stir-plate of known temperature. Water baths will never go above 100 C.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking - and yup it's a working hot plate and magnetic stirrer, it wasn't cheap so it'll be nice to get some more use out of it :)

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Sounds reasonable, but I have no idea, really. I guess it would depend on the boiling points of the the flavor components. The experiment would be comparing it in a drip-vape after perhaps 30 minutes low heat with the same juice that was just shaken at room temp.

Also, don't go crazy on the stir. Don't go the point of making bubbles, just a smooth vortex. Too high and you will aerate it too much.

I suppose another experiment would be stir+heat vs just stir.

Also, I did say to leave it sealed, but I think a loosely screwed cap would allow any excess pressure from possibly causing a break, although I doubt this would actually happen.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
I've been mixing a couple of flavors using this method and I'm very happy with it.
I'm using a 50ml erlenmeyer flask and the largest rod that will fit in there.
I put a piece of duct tape on top of the flask to keep it covered and place it inside a glass bowl of water to keep the temperature stable and well distributed around the flask.
I then set the temperature to 50°C (122°F) and mix for 4 hours at the highest setting. In my case this is 1250rpm.
It's still too early to say these are the best settings because I have a lot of more testing to do but so far I'm very satisfied.
These things are meant for lab mixing and running for hours on end. An el-cheapo ultrasonic cleaner isn't.

xnerd1963

Apr 16, 2013
United States
stir_plate.jpg

Stir plates work at least 3 weeks off stepping into 4 hours.
Very low heat, just warm....

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyNJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread