Steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
How long should most liquids be allowed to steep for max flavor?

Max? Probably depends on the liquid. Month or two is usually the max overall. Some can be used right away. After a week usually handles most everything i have encountered.

Sometimes you can speed up the process by leaving the cap off for a while or giving it a hot water bath and then shake it well everyday. All of that is questionable whether it works.

Normally when the liquid get darker or changes color it has aged well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

seanmc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2008
Fairfield California
Depends om where you get your liquid. If you get it from a place that mixes to order...I take thd cap and dripper off and put it in a cupboard for about a week (shaken daily), you'll notice the color get alot darker and the fragrance will mellow out. Most of the bigger sites pre mix, so no steeping is needed. You can usually tell who mixes to order by the options they give you, like pg/vg ratio, flavor strength and extras.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Only you can be the judge of that. I recommend trying the flavors at least once a week and jotting down a few notes or impressions about how you perceive the flavor--as a general rule of thumb, most do get better with time, but as to how much time, well that is as much a matter of opinion as everything else.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
What do you mean by steeping juice? Are you just taking the cap off and exposing the liquid to air, or running the bottles(sealed) under hot water.

Steeping (really) only means time: a day, week, month, 3 months, 6 months or longer; up to about a year. Right now I am really enjoying a 7 month aged flavor (BWB Backo).

After time passes, the flavors often get very tasty.

Fezzed

Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Seattle wa
I generally get my tap water as hot as it will go, pop my eliquids in a plastic bag and submerge them until they return to room temperature. Then I take the caps and drippers off for a few days and finally I let them sit for a couple of weeks, shaking occasionally. Don't know if all that is really necessary but after a couple weeks they generally taste pretty good and I feel like I did something to help the process along. I'm sure YMMV.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Hi Guys, now I'm completely new to this whole thing, so patience please, perhaps I'm not finding the correct threads...
I have some TPA dark chocolate, French vanilla and dulche de leche. I would like to make a fairly simple chocolate vape, I understand from GoodDog's thread (Little DIY Tricks - chocolate) requiring time to develop, and think I have found the right advice with regards to chocolates there, but, do you guys make the flavour base first, steep it and then add the nic or do you mix it all in together and steep.
I thought I had seen a Steeping the Basics somewhere, but it's eluding me today. All help or points of direction much appreciated :)

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I thought I read somewhere that leaving the cap off kills the nicotine levels?
I definitely know that it helps that awful perfumey smell go away in a few days, but in the meantime, the ones with that chemical or perfumey smell irritate my allergies sheesh! Headaches, sneezing, itchey watery eyes, ....all from smelling a juice! (same as allergy season with high pollen counts :facepalm: omg lol

The Hill Giant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Providence
I thought I read somewhere that leaving the cap off kills the nicotine levels?
I definitely know that it helps that awful perfumey smell go away in a few days, but in the meantime, the ones with that chemical or perfumey smell irritate my allergies sheesh! Headaches, sneezing, itchey watery eyes, ....all from smelling a juice! (same as allergy season with high pollen counts :facepalm: omg lol

You read my mind. This is the part that confuses me. I keep reading about steeping with the caps off, but I've also read in a number of places that doing so will cause almost all of the nicotine to evaporate rather rapidly. Does steeping with the cap on actually help with the perfumy/chemical taste of some juices?

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I usually leave the tops off of all my bottles after I get them. I get low nicotine anyway, so I may not be able to tell whether or not the nicotine level has gone down, but I do know that it does help with the perfumey taste and smell.

When I "speed" steep them (usually right after getting the juice), I'll give it a shake, take the tops off, squeeze it a few times to refresh the air inside, then I'll sit them on top of my router for a few hours. The router is warm (not hot), so it makes a good spot for the juices to steep. I will shake them occasionally and leave them back on there. I've even left them there over night on accident before, juices still taste fine and they have darkened quite a bit faster. I do not know if this changes the flavor of the juice more or less than steeping it the normal way.

After they're done steeping, I put them in a small jewelry box that has a lid, and keep them in there. Everytime I open the lid, there's a rather pungent blast of smells from all the liquids in there. Phew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread