Steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vochslu

Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
Appleton Area WI
Ok, I have read a lot on reviews of juices from almost every vendor out there. I got another newbie question, a proper steep is what exactly? I was told by a friend online that I should keep my juices in the fridge in a brown paper bag to keep the light out and to prolong it's life. Does this constitute steeping? I've actually noticed that one of my juices that I really liked is now starting to taste burnt. I thought it was the carto so I replaced it and it still doesn't seem right on the taste... Is this because of how long it's been in my fridge now?

Any input would be great!!

Thanks!

melisasilem

May 6, 2013
WA, USA
Never heard of putting it in a paper bag and sticking it in the fridge. The method I most commonly use is: vape it in my atty as soon as I get it (just to check out the flavor) then take the cap and the dripper top off and put inside a cabinet and let it steep for a few days to a week. I crack the cabinet open just a bit to let some air flow in. Every night or so I put the drip top and cap back on and give each bottle a shake then take do the whole routine all over again until I feel I'm ready to start vaping the juice.

elscorcho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Treasure Coast, FL
Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I got some juice that needed to be steeped..it tasted aweful and had a flowery smell to it. I took the cap and dripper off and set it on the top shelf of the cupboard out of the way and just left it. I every so often shook and squeezed the bottle to change the air in it as per say. After a week of doing this the juice does taste better but I'm going on 2 weeks now and its taste is getting somewhat better but still not good enough to put with the rest of my stash. Just be patient, it might come around but there are some juices that steeping just won't fix. I got some 555 that was just awful and after a week of steeping it still tasted the same awful, so I gave it away to a friend who just might do the same.
As for the fridge I read that you don't put into the fridge cause it will condensate inside the bottle and ruin your juice. You only freeze it to store for long periods but my juices won't last long enough to warrent me freezing any of them.
With so many juices out there waiting for me to vape, I prolly will never find that "golden juice" that I would buy enough quanity of one juice to be considered my permanent all day vape and freeze it.
If the hammer came down and e-juice was being banned...that would be the only reason I would buy enough to hoard and freeze.

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
Shake the hell out of it. Take off the cap and the drip nozzle, set the bottle in a drawer or on a shelf in a cool closet with no sunlight. Close door or drawer.

Repeat shaking process at least once a day.

Allow to set in closet for at least 7 days. After 7 day's with the cap off I continue steeping with the cap on....or off if the juice is still perfumey...

More time for many tobacco based flavors, less for some other flavors.

I try everything before steeping, some flavors taste good right out of the mail, but will continue to mature as you carry the bottle around with you.

It's the oxygen mixing with the juice and the evaporation of alcohol and other crap that "steeps" the juice, as well as melding of the flavor to the base in the juice.

Give it time. Shake hard and often to mix the bubbles throughout the juice.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I just want to note that the recommendations here are fine, but are Airing-Out or Breathe. (Cap off) This allows volatile flavoring notes and alcohol to evaporate and helps bump start the oxidation of flavorings and nicotine which can add a helpful bitter note.

Steeping is allowing the bottle to sit tightly capped out of sunlight and allowing entropy to happen and also allow all the components to complete any reactions between themselves.

I have no idea when the two different things were all confused with "Steep" and there seems to be no way to close the Pandora's box now, but I'll point it out when I do see it in the hopes that somebody might discover they like their juice steeped more so that aired-out who would never have a chance otherwise. I have a number of mixes that need to steep and one that is better after Breathe, but most are good to go from the moment they are made.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Ok, I have read a lot on reviews of juices from almost every vendor out there. I got another newbie question, a proper steep is what exactly? I was told by a friend online that I should keep my juices in the fridge in a brown paper bag to keep the light out and to prolong it's life. Does this constitute steeping? I've actually noticed that one of my juices that I really liked is now starting to taste burnt. I thought it was the carto so I replaced it and it still doesn't seem right on the taste... Is this because of how long it's been in my fridge now?
Any input would be great!!

Thanks!

I was told by Vets that storage of juices in the fridge can lead to condensation when taking it in and out and a degradation in the quality of the juice. Best to leave it in a cool dark cupboard.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Josh, it's usually the flavorings used. Some are more famous for it than others. Coffees are often coil gunkers. I have a Bearclaw recipe that gunks up coils too and if I didn't like it so dang much....well.. I'd have fewer gunked coils.

There are other things that can contribute, but the primary cause is flavorings. High VG users tend to gunk up quicker than high PG users. Generally the darker the juice, the quicker it happens and the darkness comes from the flavoring.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Order enough juice frequently enough to allow steeping before vaping. If you are ordering just in time you are always vaping from a fresh bottle. Mixing and flavor optimization come with time. If your vendor mixes ahead instead of mixing as orders are filled, you will always need to steep. That's one reason I like Dekang juices. The trip from China assures that steeping and agitation will occur before it gets to me. The postman does the final shake and roll in the truck. Dekang is usually ready to vape right out of the USPS envelope.

SneakyVapper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
FPO AP
Steeping is giving the juice flavors time to infuse for taste. Kind of like marinating. Refrigeration is to prolong shelf life.

I DIY, and I hate waiting for a good steep before I try out fresh mixes. One popular way to go is set the bottle in a cup of hot water and wait for the water to cool off. Viola...one week steep in about 20 minutes.

The only thing I ever put in the fridge is the nic I use for mixing. But an already mixed juice should be good for up to 3 months, no refrigeration necessary.

If you want to have a go at DIY, it's a lot of fun. My personal steeping method is an ultrasonic cleaner, like a denture or jewelry cleaner. It's pricier, but a 20 minute go in one of these bad boys and my juice is always delicious:)

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited:

Fred Garvin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
All I do is put the new juices with the rest and let them sit for a couple weeks. I try to have enough of my old juice left when I order to accomodate this. I mark the new bottles when they come in with the date I got them. The only other thing I do is give them a good shake every day or other day (whenever I remember that is) nothing more.....just give them a chance to sit and combine.

lissa5168

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
East TN
I second the ultrasonic cleaner. It's hands-down one of the best investments I've made. I can clean jewelry, sanitize toothbrushes occasionally, steep juices, and it's excellent for cleaning the gunk off my dripping atty. I don't really use cartos, but I've thought about using a carto tank for a bit and then trying to clean out the carto with the ultrasonic just to see if it works. I love that thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread