Status
Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Yep, I feel ya, same here with 10 ml you'll never make it to a good steeping time frame!! My first batch of custard is now at 3 weeks steep and tastes some kinda wonderful. This was the one with 1% Egg Nog and 3% brown sugar and butter at 1.76%,so I recant my original recommendation of replacing the sweetener at the same percentage since the sweetness settles down with a longer steep. This batch I made with higher VG at 60/40. Just about to put up 50ml to steep for 3 weeks.

Same time I will prepare the DDL base mix to add separately to see what difference it makes to steep time.

DarthEmma

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
Ohio
Yep, I feel ya, same here with 10 ml you'll never make it to a good steeping time frame!! My first batch of custard is now at 3 weeks steep and tastes some kinda wonderful. This was the one with 1% Egg Nog and 3% brown sugar and butter at 1.76%,so I recant my original recommendation of replacing the sweetener at the same percentage since the sweetness settles down with a longer steep. This batch I made with higher VG at 60/40. Just about to put up 50ml to steep for 3 weeks.

Same time I will prepare the DDL base mix to add separately to see what difference it makes to steep time.

I've rather lost track of all the various versions that have been posted. I wondered it you'd mind posting the recipe for the custard that "tastes some kinda wonderful" after a 3 week steep?

BTW, I am still steeping the original custard that Vego posted at the beginning of this thread. It was a bit too sweet after a one week steep for me. I'm hoping it's better with a longer steep time.

Thraizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Nj
Ya I love ddl at 1%. I mixed up a few variations last night before seeing this with 1% b sugar and 1% butter. Also 1% eggnog. Wow does that eggnog have a blast your face off scent. No clue how it'll taste. I am thinking .5% should've been my starting point. Reminds me of coconut extra... .2% is perfect in several of my juices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think I'm going to drop down the eggnog to .5% I have a small test batch with it at 2% and been steeping for 2 weeks now, and man that eggnog is still going strong.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I've rather lost track of all the various versions that have been posted. I wondered it you'd mind posting the recipe for the custard that "tastes some kinda wonderful" after a 3 week steep?

BTW, I am still steeping the original custard that Vego posted at the beginning of this thread. It was a bit too sweet after a one week steep for me. I'm hoping it's better with a longer steep time.

Some of those sweet notes seem to diminish so you may still get to enjoy the Vego batch which was sweetened at 6% as I recall. The OP had 10% sweetener
:.
I actually never posted my recipe that IMO turned out great after a 3 week steep. Also, I made several versions: one turned out like a famous British biscuit which I posted "Custard Cream" and others with fruit like Strawberry Custard and then various other tweaks to the original recipe using rather small %'s of Graham cracker, Vienna Cream, Bavarian Cream, Sweet Cookie etc..you get the idea:unsure:

But my pleasure to post it now for you. NB It wasn't my favorite effort initially but kept getting more rounded and smooth each week.

SVv6orI.jpg
[/IMG]

What did you find out with the VG/PG testing. Reason I ask is that I got mine from Amazon also.

DarthEmma

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
Ohio
Some of those sweet notes seem to diminish so you may still get to enjoy the Vego batch which was sweetened at 6% as I recall. The OP had 10% sweetener
I actually never posted my recipe that IMO turned out great after a 3 week steep. Also, I made several versions: one turned out like a famous British biscuit which I posted "Custard Cream" and others with fruit like Strawberry Custard and then various other tweaks to the original recipe using rather small %'s of Graham cracker, Vienna Cream, Bavarian Cream, Sweet Cookie etc..you get the idea:unsure:

But my pleasure to post it now for you. NB It wasn't my favorite effort initially but kept getting more rounded and smooth each week.

What did you find out with the VG/PG testing. Reason I ask is that I got mine from Amazon also.

Thank you for posting that. I thought I knew all the abbreviations for the flavor companies, but what is "FPA"?

The Vego version was a bit sweet after a few days of steeping. I'm going to try it again soon (it's been almost 10 days now). I'll try it at 2 weeks (this Saturday).

I think the Vego version has too much total flavoring for my taste. But, I'm going to leave it as is for at least a month to see how the steeping goes. I'll sample it once a week to test it (I made 30ml of it).

I was testing the PG and VG I got from Amazon vs the PG and VG that I got from TPA. It turns out, I can't taste any difference. It was not the PG/VG. The funky flavor I got from some of my first batches of juice was me learning to not use too much flavoring from certain vanillas that I had overdone a bit without enough cream to balance them out. Glad I figured it out.

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi Emma, my bad - failing eyesight or poor typinf skills.:facepalm: It should be TPA, Perfumer's Apprentice also makes Signature according to what i have read here. lol It is their Brown Sugar that I use as well as the Vanilla Swirl.

I think the Vanillas take the most time to shine through, perhaps a full month, The Creams tend to "balance"/smooth out the harsher Egg Nog (Cinnamon) and DDL in this recipe. Someone has mentioned that they leave out cream as this he attributed to the 'funky' flavor.

Asbestos put up a recipe without cream and as soon as my order arrives, I plan on trying his. Quite simple with only 3 ingredients: CAP VC, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Cotton Candy. He says it makes a tried and tested base that you play around with.

So we good with Amazon VG/PG- happy to hear that, phew:)

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Let me know what you think of it in 3 weeks time haha!! Meanwhile, I just made up a 100ml of said custard and slung it in a dark cupboard after a hot bath and a 5 hour breathing with top off. I don't add the VG or the nic VG until last. I want the flavorings to mix well in a pure PG base first-just makes sense to me.

Just received 2 Origen v2 rda's from FT at $11 each..they are superb flavor atty's. I will use these for tasting diy exclusively.

Good luck:)

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Let me know what you think of it in 3 weeks time haha!! Meanwhile, I just made up a 100ml of said custard and slung it in a dark cupboard after a hot bath and a 5 hour breathing with top off. I don't add the VG or the nic VG until last. I want the flavorings to mix well in a pure PG base first-just makes sense to me.

Just received 2 Origen v2 rda's from FT at $11 each..they are superb flavor atty's. I will use these for tasting diy exclusively.

Good luck:)

Good ol' FT! My SMPL v1 is my all day mech. I just received an order of 100x 10ml plastic bottles from them, and some pliers. I am still waiting on my brass GPap and new battery wraps. I don't know if I can use anything other than a hybrid 510 connection anymore. We shall see!

I need to try out the Origin. I am weary as I find the Magma suffocating and the Veritas is pretty tight on airflow as well. I'm used to power coils, like the Clapton, Zipper, twisted, etc. and I use mech mods only. How does the airflow compare?

How is the airflow on the orchid?? Is it easy to drill one out?

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013

SVv6orI.jpg
[/IMG]

How does TPA Whipped Cream compare to FA Whipped Cream? I only have Flavour Arts.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi bmilcs, couldn't answer that as I use FA whipped cream (TFA) not Perfumer's Apprentice.

The Origen rda clone has a super tight draw that you will most certainly not like if you find the Magma suffocating! The flavor is what I get from it and using a .9 coil I can put some 20-25 watts through it no problem. However, they are fiddly for wicking and coiling, although leak proof when dripping, are messy as hell for adjusting or refilling when taking apart:(

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I found Heartland does some great pricing on 4 oz orders, little better than ECX but, if you are buying a flavor for the 1st time, it is prudent to take a small sample to check if you like it and what it does for the recipe you intend to use it in,
Haven't tried the french vanilla yet, just ordered myself some but did take a 10 ml of Vanilla bean Ice cream (Gelato) and made up a batch of the Custard with it and 1 week into steep it is looking, smelling and tasting real good.

Let me know about the malted milk, sounds really interesting too!

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
The TPA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is really good, quite dominant when used at 5% in my custard v4 recipe with a 26% total flavoring, 10% of that with CAP VC, but it still needs some steeping. I'll probably drop it to 3% next batch as it overwhelms the slighter flavors like DDL and egg nog.
Still thinking it needs a little zest or salt or something to unite it all.

Have ordered french vanilla, Salted Caramel and will add tangerine since it's all I have in the citrus dept:?:

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
The TPA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is really good, quite dominant when used at 5% in my custard v4 recipe with a 26% total flavoring, 10% of that with CAP VC, but it still needs some steeping. I'll probably drop it to 3% next batch as it overwhelms the slighter flavors like DDL and egg nog.
Still thinking it needs a little zest or salt or something to unite it all.

Have ordered french vanilla, Salted Caramel and will add tangerine since it's all I have in the citrus dept:?:
I really love vanilla bean ice cream. Wondering how Gelato compares.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread