Stevo's Vanilla Custard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanius

Jan 20, 2014
Boston
I tried this with 2% sweetener and after a 4 day steep it's delicious. I have some GVC that I tried side by side and there's something that still gives the GVC the edge, possibly the longer steep. It just has more of a richness to it on the custard spectrum. Color wise the GVC is much darker. I'm not sure where to take this recipe next. More VC? More butter? I added another 2% sweetener and it helped a tiny bit but not exactly the direction I was hoping. I know a few people add a .9% saline solution to mixes to pronounce the flavor further. I guess there's a reason it's the most expensive juice out there. Regardless, it's a great recipe. Cudos to the OP.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I made the recipe after Vego's adjustments, to the letter. I am in the "Cap VC tastes like plastic" camp unfortunately. I am using the V2 Cap fyi.

A also made the VC, DDL, BS recipe and like it and it will only get better. Thanks DogEggs! I reduced VC % per next comment.

In all my subsequent mixes I simply reduced the VC to 7.5% and I do not get the plastic flavor and the custard is now coming thru for me.

My subsequent Steveo's is really nice with the reduced VC and will only get better and better.

I used less Egg Nog as well.

In one version I used 3% TFA Sweetener and 3% FA Brown Sugar Extra instead of straight 6% Sweetener.

I also made up the VC 10%(recipe called for 14%), Bavarian Cream 3%, French Vanilla 3%, Brown Sugar 2% recipe. I cannot remember who contributed it but thank you. This one was very nice after mixing and will sit in the dark for awhile.

I plan to tinker with more creams for all of this to add richness. Bavarians, Bostons, etc. I have Vienna Cream on my buy list as was suggested...

I made the adjustments for PG in my flavors excluding whipped cream. I don't think this is that important. What I think is important is consistency with my mixes- that I am doing it the same way each time regardless of the amounts.

Thanks for the great thread VEGO- More to follow.

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee
just made my first batch with what i had on hand...based on others likes/dislikes and my previous complex flavors.

Capella sweet cream 3.5 %
Cinnamon Spice (TPA) 1 drop per 30ml
French Vanilla Deluxe (TPA) 3.5 %
Graham Cracker (TPA) 1.5%
TFA smooth 3 %
TFA Sweetener .5 %
Vanilla Custard v2 (Cap) 14 %
Whipped Cream (TPA) 3.5 %

it smells really good after a hot bath. got the lid off now and debating dripping a little before bed. thanks to everyone :vapor:

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
just made my first batch with what i had on hand...based on others likes/dislikes and my previous complex flavors.

TFA smooth 3 %
TFA Sweetener .5 %

it smells really good after a hot bath. got the lid off now and debating dripping a little before bed. thanks to everyone :vapor:

How is your recipe setting up? Better, worse or the same?

Thanks!

burnie71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
South Australia

TFA smooth 3 %
TFA Sweetener .5 %

How did it turn out for you? I think I stuffed up on something, I guess that's what happens when drinking & mixing :toast:

1stimer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Pasadena, CA
I made 100 ML of each of the above recipes substituting the different versions/percentages of vanilla custard. I tried the first version and it is delicious after 1-day. Hope I can wait a few weeks.

I tried the 2nd version and it is not the same. It's still good, but not as good. Again. I will wait for a few weeks and see.

Thanks so much for the recipe!

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
I plan on playing along with some of the recipe ideas in this thread. I have a concern though. After 3 weeks of steeping & 3x 30 min ultrasonic cycles, my 12% Cap VC / 2% DDL / 1% EM is starting to really agitate my throat.

It has a weird dry / irritated / raw feel to it. Is it simply not steeped enough? It tastes great but is doing a number on me. I am hoping it's the DDL and not VC, because I LOOOVE VC!

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I plan on playing along with some of the recipe ideas in this thread. I have a concern though. After 3 weeks of steeping & 3x 30 min ultrasonic cycles, my 12% Cap VC / 2% DDL / 1% EM is starting to really agitate my throat.

It has a weird dry / irritated / raw feel to it. Is it simply not steeped enough? It tastes great but is doing a number on me. I am hoping it's the DDL and not VC, because I LOOOVE VC!
You might be sensitive to some of the "nasty" chemicals in certain flavors, eg. acetyl. I believe Cap now has two versions of VC to address this issue. Myself, I can vape them for several hours then start to feel that little tickle or feeling like I'm getting a bit congested. I know there is a big thread about these chemicals but didn't see it on a quick glance. It's in the DIY flavor section if I remember correctly....someone will chime in with the link I'm sure.....

burnie71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
South Australia
Have you had these effects with any other mix you made before? I have been vaping Stevo's mix minus the eggnog since 6/13 never had anything but pleasure. Fresh mix or 4 week steep.

G'day gtbb, which version did you go with? I am getting mixed results here. I will be dropping the eggnog though on next mix, good to see the thread still active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread