Still struggling with cravings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetSpot

Jan 5, 2013
Ohio
So, I've been told that switching over is easy as 1,2,3. Those I've talked to have said that they started vaping and never looked back and were fine within the first couple days. Though a week and a half into switching over and I'm still craving going outside and lighting up. I even had a dream last night about finding a pack of cigarettes. And I think part of it is going outside wasn't just part of the addiction, but it allowed me 5 minutes of quiet alone time to unwind. So anyone have any ideas/tips on how to get over this?

Some change over easy (Mom, I'm looking at you). Some change over hard (mirror, I'm looking into you).

It may be that your nicotine level is too low, or that you have a remaining addiction to something not in the e-liquids. Mine was a bit of both, and I ended up moving to 22 mg/ml liquid. My cousin did the same (he went to 24 before he felt satisfied). Mom stabilized beautifully at 12 mg/ml and is now at 10.

I also used WTA liquids from Aroma E-juice (other places have them as well) and that helped satisfy the worst cravings. Over time, I slowly stopped using them and went to just regular nic liquids.

At this point, four months in, cravings are rare to never, and I'm starting to drop my nicotine levels. I'm now mixing liquids at 20 mg/ml, with the next batch dropping to 18.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
My trick was to cut down. I downloaded an app for my Android phone called 'Cigarette Assistant' that allows you to set a maximum amount per day (say, 5). Every time you have a cigarette you press 'Add cigarette' and it resets your timer. It also has a best time feature so you can try and beat your high score, as it were. This certainly worked for my mentality. Upping my nicotine first thing on a morning certainly helped get over that first cig of the day feeling...then I'd reduce it throughout the day.

Everyone is different and not everyone can go straight from smoking to e-cigs immediately. Remember, its not about counting the cigarettes you DID smoke, rather it's about counting the ones you didn't.

That five minutes of peace and quiet is something I miss too! You could still nip away for five minutes to use it... If it more of a craving, try upping your nicotine during these difficult moments.x

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Some change over easy (Mom, I'm looking at you). Some change over hard (mirror, I'm looking into you).

:lol: Priceless!..... :lol:

:shock:

Sorry, didn't mean to stray :offtopic:

Back to the OP's original concerns;

Another poster suggested you go outside to vape. (Just as you do when you smoke).

I recommend trying this also.... you seem to equate this practice with quality alone time/deep introspection. I don't blame you... :smokie:

My trick was to cut down. I downloaded an app for my Android phone called 'Cigarette Assistant' that allows you to set a maximum amount per day (say, 5). Every time you have a cigarette you press 'Add cigarette' and it resets your timer. It also has a best time feature so you can try and beat your high score, as it were. This certainly worked for my mentality. Upping my nicotine first thing on a morning certainly helped get over that first cig of the day feeling...then I'd reduce it throughout the day.

The low-tech among us (me) kept it on a piece of paper. I finally threw that out, but not until after I'd recorded it in Excel. :)

The downward trend was obvious, starting at 10 per day at first (down from 55!) and gradually dropping to 2 or 3, then 1 or 2, then 1 every 2 to 3 days...then I just kind of forgot to smoke analogs. A week went by, then two...

Everyone is different and not everyone can go straight from smoking to e-cigs immediately. Remember, its not about counting the cigarettes you DID smoke, rather it's about counting the ones you didn't.

This cannot be repeated too often! That one you smoked? Forget about it. Remember the 10 (or, in my case, 54) you didn't. I used to say, "I'm currently 98% successful. Right now, that's good enough."

That five minutes of peace and quiet is something I miss too! You could still nip away for five minutes to use it... If it more of a craving, try upping your nicotine during these difficult moments.x

This, too. Hold to your old habits but use your new vape instead. Don't deprive yourself of five minutes of peace if that's important to you.

SeanMoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
United States
Gear made all the difference to me. Cig-a-likes don't do squat for me, an eGo with a big carto on it is my preferred "running errands" vape. I use a big battery at home with either a dripper or a vivi nova.

I've been at it about three months now and when I would have a craving early on I'd simply chainvape until it went away. Seriously, just kept it stuck to my face until I felt a bit ill. It doesn't work for everyone but it did for me.

I agree with the others about taking a vape break, maybe keep a different clearo with you that has a higher nicotine level in it so that it's more of a distinction than just hanging around and vaping.

RagingDuck

Jan 10, 2013
Socal
How many packs/cigs did you smoke a day? Maybe you are not getting enough nicotine, although after a week and a half, you should have been partially weened off it by now. I concur with the idea that you miss going outside, so go outside. I still do it after a month of vaping, going cold turkey from analogs. I still sometimes take a few hits in my office, but going outside is definitely part of my daily routine. Sometimes you just need a break and some "fresh" air.

Also, a week and a half is about how long I can tolerate the same liquid. Change up the flavor. Do you have more than one tank/carto/clearo? Have at least 2 flavors ready so you can easily switch out when you start to feel the itch to light up a real cig.

schtevo

Feb 11, 2012
Michigan
Congrats on deciding to quit!

I'm sure everyone is different, but here's one thing that helped me. When I did slip and have an anolog, I noticed that it did not really satisfy the craving. Once I was in the process of quitting, the cravings were just a fact of life that would be cured by time. Even if I went back to smoking regularly, it would take a couple days before I would stop feeling like I was quitting.

Armed with that knowledge, it made it easier for me to just let the cravings pass without trying to fight with them so hard. What's the point of smoking a cigarette if it isn't going to help anyway. The cravings will pass and eventually they'll be little more than a whisper. Easy to tune them out then.

Good Luck

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Indeed, go outside and Vape. Take a bit longer than you use to when you smoked if you need to. Take a longer drag and hold the vapor in your mouth a touch longer, and breathe it out of your nose. That will help you absorb more of the nicotine. If you need to, get a juice with a higher nicotine level.

You will find that many of your smoking habits are still there. I still think I may have a lit cigarette sitting someplace, and once in a while, I do look for that old pack of smokes..

You can do it!

JShrigley

ECF Veteran
My method was to keep up the routine that I had when I was smoking. If you go outside every half hour for a smoke go outside and vape. I also didn't stress too much about caving now and then with an analog if that is what I decided to do. Just keep at it and remember that everyone will be different and no one method will work the same for everyone, just because some people on here start vaping and never falter with analogs does not mean that you will have the same results. Best of luck to you in your journey

Amish Ed

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
Lake Forest, CA
amished.wordpress.com
For me the biggest difference was getting a Twist and Vivi Nova combo. I had started with and eGo T and it just wasn't cutting it. When I got the new combo it was like a light switch was thrown. But, the first 2-3 weeks after that were still hard. I just had to vape through it, which I couldn't do w/the eGo T.

I also concur with the others as far as routines go. If you went outside to smoke, go outside to vape. See if it helps.

telijah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Tampa, FL
I had the same problem, and still do. I was just over 1pad. Now, when going to the bar, I will buy a pack, and usually towards the end of the night end up only having 2-3 analogs. However, that pack now lasts me over a week. I've cut down now to basically 100% vaping, except when at the bar. And I am pretty sure it is ONLY the fact the I keep buying them, that I end up smoking them at the bar. When I eventually just stop buying them before the bar, I will likely stop altogether.

Also, I do still go outside to vape just for the alone time, but I secretly vape all day at my desk since I have a large cube with 6' walls and a fan blowing on me all day. Easy to keep the fan on in Fla, with our almost 90 degree mid-January weather here.

SweetSpot

Jan 5, 2013
Ohio
Thanks for everyone's advice. I've done the outside thing. Even took my "smoke" break at work tonight, just vaped instead and enjoyed our unnaturally warm weather for nearly 5 min. However, today's been bad. Had to call my boyfriend when I went to the store so he could distract me before I decided to buy a pack. Been strong for a week and a half, but nearly folded tonight. Seems despite going outside and getting that time alone, I still want to buy a pack. The only thing stopping me is not wanting to disappoint him. I'll confess, I only smoked for a little over a year and never reached a PAD, but I'm still nagged by the "need" to go and buy a pack. The cartridges that came with my setup were 22mg nic and the juice that just arrived is 24mg, yet there's still the need. Not sure what I can do now. Waiting for new juice, but have to wait until pay to buy clean empty cartridges.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So not going outside wasn't really the problem then?

It sounds like you still haven't been able to pinpoint what exactly is causing your cravings.
If you can find a way to put it into words, we can help you find a solution.

SweetSpot, have you considered WTA, go have a look at the Aroma Juice Forum Jerry and the gang are a smashing bunch, incredibly helpful and may have just the solution for you.
But yeah, if you've tried everything, then WTA juice would be the next step before giving up.

If the answer is that there just "seems to be something missing" then you should check this out...
What is all this about WTA juice?

SweetSpot

Jan 5, 2013
Ohio
Will be looking into the WTA juices, hopefully it'll help. Unfortunately, after dealing with a lot of stress and cravings and seeing coworkers pull out their cigarettes to go outside(all in one day), I gave in and bought my first pack in almost 2 weeks. The sad thing is, despite it not tasting the same, it wasn't nasty enough to not go ahead and smoke a second one. Plan to try to keep the number of analogs down and still use the PV...

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Don't beat yourself about it, everyone has those sorts of days. I can totally understand how satisfying a cigarette can feel when you're completely frazzled with life. I'm sure everyone here can sympathise. You're trying to change a habit of a lifetime, it won't happen overnight. At least you know there are alternatives, take your time at your own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread