kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Instead say "I switched to vaping."

Why?

Because the "powers that be" are trying to turn ecigs into a drug device and our only alternative at this time is "tobacco product."

Every time someone says that they "quit smoking" using ecigs, they re-enforce the idea that ecigs are smoking cessation devices ie. drugs, and/or confuse people who can't get past the fact that it still "looks like" smoking.

Instead, re-enforce the concept of "reduced harm alternatives to smoking" and say that you switched to a safer habit vs. just "quit smoking."

CASAA and other groups are advocating the acceptance of the "reduced harm" concept, which is currently not recognized across the board as a valid category for products. We feel that, in the absence of quitting nicotine altogether, smokers should have safer alternatives other than to "quit or die."

The more people (non-smokers, politicians, physicians) who are told about this concept and understand it, the better the chances of a future category for ecigs as "reduced harm products," which could be lobbied to be free from the strict regulation of drugs (expensive & time-consuming clinical testing, reduced nicotine strength, removal from the market, Big Pharma prices) and traditional tobacco (no non-tobacco flavors, high taxes, indoor bans).

So spread the word - you may have quit smoking inadvertently, but instead of actually saying you "quit," stress the importance of the fact that you switched to a reduced harm product.

Use this terminology both in real life situations, on this forum and when making comments on other forums and news articles. Whenever you can, substitute the word "switched" for the word "quit." This would imply that "switching to vaping" is as good as "quitting smoking."

This is one situation where the power of the word can really influence people!

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
It's a fine line to walk. I usually talk about transitioning or using my e-cig exclusively...except when i don't. Of course, when using the combustible type of cig, I always said that i was getting my nicotine up to therapeutic levels. I like the term smoke-free, but it probably doesn't help the cause.

Janetda

ECF Veteran
Kristin, I've been saying for months now that we need to push the idea that we quit combustibles because we like e-cigs better. Every time I say it, I get ignored. Even your poll didn't include an option for "just cuz I like it better". That's where we need to be, that's what we need to be the rally cry.

MRHTOAD76

Mar 14, 2010
Kansas
I quit smoking 7 to 8 days ago.. fact!

the "powers that be" are gonna twist and spin it however they want and I get that you/we wanna do the same in our interest but the bottom line is I'm healthier, can breathe better, smell better (dual intention) and everyone that asks me how gets told. At least a dozen people so far have got into vaping from my story and wanting to emulate that. So the more people that get off cig the better and the more people vaping the better. I get what your saying but the logic is flawed and in the end isn't going to matter. My friend is in AA he quit drinking beer etc , but he drinks coffee and chews alot of gum so are those drink cessation devices? First time I quit smoking I did it with gum and candy but there was no nicotine involved this time I chose e-cig instead. I get what your trying to do just saying my 2 cents its not the people I talk to ,or average person talks to that is going to make or sway the public's opinion which utterly doesn't matter anyway....

our alternative at this time is tobacco product?
I'm not using any tobacco :)

this quote is just a little too optimistic for me

"This is one situation where the power of the word can really influence people! "

But I guess something is better than nothing. At least you and others are trying to work on stuff so I applaud you for that so don't think I'm attacking you :)

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
I agree, this is important, but IMO only effective for open-minded people interested in what we are doing, and recruiting more people and outspoken doctors to our cause.

I hope no one on here has the illusion that using this language is going to change the mind of the FDA.

I think the hope is to minimize the ability for anyone -- media, FDA, TBTB who lurk here -- to spin our own words against us. And as much as I admire Kristen for trying ... and I will do my best to think about my chosen words even though it irks me 'cause I no longer smoke and would like to shout it from the treetops ... I don't think this will achieve the ends desired.

It doesn't matter what is said or how carefully it is constructed, it can almost always be spun. Picking and choosing and taking out of context will always be done by those who wish to achieve said spin. It's not about us; it's about them. Sad, but true.

Just my $.02,
Jan

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
In sum, absent substantial evidence of the manufacturer's objective intent that its electronic cigarettes affect the structure or function of the body in a way distinguishable from "customarily marketed" tobacco products or that electronic cigarettes have the therapeutic purpose of treating nicotine withdrawal, there is no basis for FDA to treat electronic cigarettes, as a drug-device combination when all they purport to do is offer consumers the same recreational effects as a regular cigarette.

Sun

nojoyet

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
Canada, near Vancouver
Because the "powers that be" are trying to turn ecigs into a drug device and our only alternative at this time is "tobacco product."

Every time someone says that they "quit smoking" using ecigs, they re-enforce the idea that ecigs are smoking cessation devices ie. drugs, and/or confuse people who can't get past the fact that it still "looks like" smoking.

Instead, re-enforce the concept of "reduced harm alternatives to smoking" and say that you switched to a safer habit vs. just "quit smoking."

CASAA and other groups are advocating the acceptance of the "reduced harm" concept, which is currently not recognized across the board as a valid category for products. We feel that, in the absence of quitting nicotine altogether, smokers should have safer alternatives other than to "quit or die."
QUOTE]

Kirsten, I agree, switched to a safer habit.

The FDA, BT, BP, and the antis, press, etc may still spin it but we won't be supporting their spin with our own words.

An opportunity to support the concept of tobacco harm reduction is worth taking, for classification as an alternative and if it might also help to counter the "quit or die mentality", so much the better.

I also like - quit combustible tobacco and switched to a safer and TOBACCO harm reduced alternative.

Edit:
Added the word tobacco in the last half of the last sentence because (esp. when googling) if the word tobacco is ommitted the subject becomes not tobacco but the unmentionable stuff. Not the kind of misunderstanding we need!

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
saying "switched" over "quit" CABN have an effect. Look at the FDA petition. Thousands of people are providing testimonials to the FDA that ecigs "helped them quit" which feeds right into their desire to make them drug devices.

Why give them the ammunition they want to use our own words against us.

We need to show people that "switching" is just as good as "quitting."

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
People have had a lot ideas about verbage. Take for example last year people wanted to change the name to PV. That would not have gone very well with the Court if it was not plead the e-cig was a tobacco product.

Yes, people have written that they "quit", but that is not relevent to the Court as the Court stated:

"FDA references only three claims made in Smoking Everywhere's literature: (l) electronic cigarettes offer "smokers a chance of smoking in a much healthier way," (2) electronic cigarettes are "a great alternative to help ... stop smoking real cigarettes," and
(3) "I've been smoking real cigarettes for over 20 years and really wanted to stop ... I've been using it for 3 weeks now and feel great." (ARDET 49,21; FDA Opposition [#14]
at 21). The latter two claims are customer testimonials posted on the Smoking Everywhere website. None of these claims, on their face, suggests an objective intent to treat nicotine addiction and withdrawal. At best, these claims demonstrate that Smoking
Everywhere markets its electronic cigarettes as an alternative-albeit a healthier
alternative-to traditional cigarettes" Id. Judge Leon's Ruling.

So the Court really sees the use of the words quit or stop as not relevent here as the Court found that the objective intent was not to treat, rather it was to PROMOTE the use of nicotine.

So I think we are way past issues with this verbage.

Sun

Last edited:

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas

Why?

The more people (non-smokers, politicians, physicians) who are told about this concept and understand it, the better the chances of a future category for ecigs as "reduced harm products," which could be lobbied to be free from the strict regulation of drugs (expensive & time-consuming clinical testing, reduced nicotine strength, removal from the market, Big Pharma prices) and traditional tobacco (no non-tobacco flavors, high taxes, indoor bans).

So spread the word - you may have quit smoking inadvertently, but instead of actually saying you "quit," stress the importance of the fact that you switched to a reduced harm product.

Use this terminology both in real life situations, on this forum and when making comments on other forums and news articles. Whenever you can, substitute the word "switched" for the word "quit." This would imply that "switching to vaping" is as good as "quitting smoking."

Kristin, I am so glad that people are beginning to see that using the Personal Vaporizer is an alternative to using cigarettes. That is what I thought of them from the very first one I bought, I did not intended to switch completely to the PV, just really need something to use when I could not smoke.

PVs are tobacco products because the nicotine is a by-product of tobacco. Actually the Ruyan Company never intended them as NRT's, they originally sold them as alternative to tobacco cigarettes, when a person could not smoke.

Why?

Yep

Yeah, but... I quit smoking once before by using another tobacco product, Cherry Skoal Long Cut. Does that mean snuff can also be considered a "smoking cessation" device?

Yeah, but referring to PV usage as a "safer" habit is the type of stuff which has triggered all this mess to begin with. The FDA doesn't want to hear the word "safe" at all. It sets up red flags for them to dive on it. If ANY safer health benefit is mentioned, then you have to PROVE it is a medical device. If you can't prove it's a medical device, then it gets banned.

Yeah, but the FDA doesn't want to hear "reduced harm" either. Again this implicates a health benefit. Supplemental herbs and vitamins have a history of hitting this brick wall too. That's why you see statements on them like... "Not intended to treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition"... even though it does help in the treatment of a condition. We know it works, we just can't say it works.

I can't really say, but I'm leaning towards this being some wishful thinking. If it happens one day, then GREAT! But I left the miracle business a long time ago.

Roger that... lie our @sses off... check

Yeaaah, I "switched" to vaping. ooops... Maybe we shouldn't use the term "vaping" either... ummm... how about, "I switched to fogging because I don't like cigarettes anymore." ?

I think some words do give other people the wrong idea. I don't think we should use the term "e-juice" anymore either... It sounds like you're getting ready to juice yourself up with some extra heavy dope. Probably shouldn't use "e-liquid" either... It sounds like a super cleaning agent for electronics. Perhaps we should use, "nicotine fog liquid" and "non-nicotine fog liquid". ? - Just brain farting there.

I thought about saying "nicotine fog fluid", but that sounds like you're going to deliberately administer nicotine to innocent people on a dance floor by using a standard fog machine. IDK, but a funny thought.

Probably shouldn't say "atomizer" either... Sounds too much like a destructive device. Maybe "miniature ceramic heater" is better.

And maybe we shouldn't say, "let's fire it up", when we push the button or take a draw... Sounds too close to a fire hazard. Just say, "Turn it on", or "activate".

Probably shouldn't say, "device", at all either... Sounds too close to the device lingo the FDA is nailing for. Maybe we should say, "Personal Fogging Unit"... Yeah, that's it... It's not an e-cig, it's a PFU !... No, wait, that's too close to another phrase... Pretty F'ed Up!... Just like all this is.

You must have a sense of humor to live in this whacked world.

Last edited:

Dogsbody

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
It is probably more accurate to say 'switched' rather than 'quit' too, IMO.

Quit sort of implies that you have overcome the 'smoking' habit and/or nico addiction.

I know alot of people are proud that they 'quit' and I guess it is true, but to me, I am not proud - as I didn't struggle or do anything special, I just SWITCHED to an e-brand of cigarette.

I still have and love my 'smoking' habit and nico addiction, there is just no smoke anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread