Stop saying you quit smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m201

Jan 18, 2010
Arizona
I have been using the term switched since reading the beginning of this thread... I am one of those in the low percentile who are using NO NICOTINE cartridges...

but I know if the ecig is banned I will be right back on the tobacco cigarettes. I know this because I forgot my chargers at home on a 5-day Thanksgiving trip to my sons homes and ended up buying some 'Capri ultra lights' at $7+ per pack less than 100 miles out on the trip. It was horribly sad and humiliating, but I was overjoyed to get home and charge my m201's up!

I haven't quit // I've just substituted the flavorful SAFER pleasure of vaping for the harsh HARMFUL addiction of smoking.

Also, the people I have let try my ecigs seemed to be much more prone to give the ecig a try when I mention switching to a Safer alternative ... the word QUIT to a smoker is very scary!

weird, but it works for me!

jfdpl686

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
New York
www.flickr.com
I think the push is to compare coffee with nicotine or even alcoholic beverages per se.
Playing as devil’s advocate I can say that politicians and lawyers play with words and will go as far as go to the point of definitions.
Many definition about smoking:
- The act of smoking tobacco or other substances.
- Emitting smoke in great volume.
- Practice where a substance, most commonly tobacco, is burned and the smoke tasted or inhaled.
- Inhalation of the smoke of burning tobacco encased in cigarettes, pipes, and cigars.
- To emit smoke.

So, technically if we go for any definition (regardless if tobacco is mentioned); then, in fact, we are not smoking. We are not “burning” anything nor we are emitting smoke. It is vapor.

Because technicalities, I don’t believe they will accept the any PV as a tobacco product.
I think nicotine is a drug (funny, Wikipedia never say straight “nicotine is a drug”) and caffeine is a drug (Wikipedia clearly state “stimulant drug).

So, using that idea, taking nicotine as a drug and since we are not “smoking”, PV could easily be targeted as a “drug dosing device” BUT only when using nicotine juice.
What’s up with non-nicotine juice? In that moment is no different as any vaporizer; as far as we are concern, we can even pour some water and vaporize it in the device.

So, going back to coffee… then cups, thermos, etc should be “drug dosing devices” too, since those “deliver” the drug to our mouths…. And Starbucks should be considered as a drugstore too.

Laws and codes always have problems and those are the ones we shall finds and show as examples, just as mention the comparison with the coffee, I can tell you, as a fire protection engineer, many liquids are considered “hazardous” but in certain circumstances it depends on the amount. Many chemicals are flammable, yet a laboratory could be considered “light hazard” since the quantity of those liquids is regulated… but guess what? In many states (including NYC) there is no requirement of fire protection at homes, where, so many times, people keep oil, gasoline or gas for some uses and they exceed the required amounts found in a laboratory.

So… how is coffee taken by the FDA?

cyanide_black

Mar 8, 2010
USA
We have two fronts here: The Government and The Public. When dealing with The Government we have to play the game according to their rules. If that means calling it a "smoking alternative" then so be it. "No, sir/madam, I did not quit smoking. I switched to an alternative that I feel could be safer for me in the long run."

When dealing with The Public a different tact needs to be used. Unfortunately smoking and nicotine use is linked in the public eye. They view nicotine as a deadly, highly addictive, substance with no positive benefits. This image needs to change. People need to learn about studies showing the positive effects of nicotine. They need to learn the difference between it and other so-called "drugs". It doesn't matter how many people have quit smoking and switched to vaping. As long as people continue to vilify nicotine, vaping will never be accepted by the general public.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
We have two fronts here: The Government and The Public. When dealing with The Government we have to play the game according to their rules. If that means calling it a "smoking alternative" then so be it. "No, sir/madam, I did not quit smoking. I switched to an alternative that I feel could be safer for me in the long run."

When dealing with The Public a different tact needs to be used. Unfortunately smoking and nicotine use is linked in the public eye. They view nicotine as a deadly, highly addictive, substance with no positive benefits. This image needs to change. People need to learn about studies showing the positive effects of nicotine. They need to learn the difference between it and other so-called "drugs". It doesn't matter how many people have quit smoking and switched to vaping. As long as people continue to vilify nicotine, vaping will never be accepted by the general public.

When dealing with the Government we need to be clear and direct. Playing the game according to their rules is neither necessary nor desirable.

When dealing with the public caveats must always be issued re: nicotine. It is a very nasty poison. It is also the best cure for ulcerative colitis. As always the magic is in using the appropriate dosage.

cyanide_black

Mar 8, 2010
USA
When dealing with the public caveats must always be issued re: nicotine. It is a very nasty poison.

That is my point. That is how the general public sees nicotine. While pure nicotine is deadly in very small doses, if used properly it can also be very beneficial. The general public has been convinced otherwise. I'll say it again: As long as people continue to vilify nicotine, vaping will never be accepted by the general public.

As for your comment about not playing the political game: Isn't that what this thread is about? The OP wants us to stop saying we quit smoking. Why? Because claiming our pv's have helped us quit plays right into the hands of the FDA. If we use them to quit then it becomes a smoke cessation device. We all know where that leads. Claiming, instead, that it is an alternative to smoking leaves much more room to fight back. If that isn't playing the game I don't know what is.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I think that when dealing with the public, vapers need to know first of all if they are dealing with a smoker or a non smoker. Then, with the smokers, we need to share with them the benefits and pleasure that we're getting since we switched to vaping.

I have been talking to my smoking friends and they really think it's a nice idea to vape. The worries are having to order online, and not knowing who to order from, and what. So I think we need to help as many smokers as possible, and quickly. I think that as soon as I have plenty of batteries, I will start giving the older ones away to interested smoking friends, while the batteries still have some life in them. Even if it lasts them a day, they get to learn how much better, nicer, and less damaging it is. They can always come back to me and I'll gladly recharge it for them, even if it only has a few days of life left, it's still better than having to buy and give away disposable ones.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
In my situation, there was no way I could quit smoking, and I hate the harm of lethal smoke in analogs. I switched to ecigs because I've been waiting for so many years to be able to smoke without the harmful, lethal smoke. I have successfully acomplished that with tremedous pleasure, suddenly, and abruptly, and permanently. I have literally, proudly, and most comfortably quit smoking forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread