Storing new batteries for future use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibitz

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Johnson City, TN, USA
I just received 2 new MVP3.0 Pro's and want to store them for the future. Do I make sure they are fully charged before storing them? I have 2 that I am now using in rotation which I have had for more than 2 years. They probably still have a lot of life left in them, but with the way things are going I wanted backups. I considered buying a mod that you could replace batteries in but I love my MVP's so why change :)

Reactions: Racehorse

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I would charge them to 40-60% (3.7-3.9V?) and store them in cool place. Check them about once in a year and add charge if needed. batteries usually come from manufacturers charged to about right level for storing, but sometimes a bit undercharged (for better safety in transportation).

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Normally, batteries for storage are set at 70% of capacity (why they are normally shipped out with this charge level) and checked on once in a while.

But going with mods with pre-built batteries is a gamble, and if the batteries do die off, you'll have wasted your money.

I'll be blunt: you should have gone with a replaceable battery mod, there's many out there that I'm sure you would have found something that you would have liked just as much. With a built-in, once the battery dead, the mod is garbage. (you can try to take it about and re-solder a new battery inside, but it comes with risks) And it's sad that many built-in mods are using a 18650 anyways, they're just soldered in. And a 10-15$ battery to replace is a lot cheaper than replacing a 50$ mod, and you can carry a couple of spares for on the go (just store them correctly, I highly recommend the silicone sleeves) Also, if the mod breaks down, you can simply buy a new one (that would be cheaper anyways) and still have all your batteries.

From everything I've seen, the built-in mods are just as risky as 18650 type mods, seen many with a flawed battery, others that have vented, etc.

If anything, I'd recommend that you simply alternate between them right now, you'd always have one charged at the ready, and at least, you wouldn't have the surprise of in 6 months (or a year) from now to find a dead useless mod, and if you get extra tanks, you can switch between flavours on the go without being obliged to finish what you have if you get tired of it (and not have to empty the tank).

It's better to actually use batteries than have them sit for long periods, as they can break down faster just from sitting there.

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Some info about batteries
Things You Should Know About Lithium Ion Battery

How Lithium-ion Batteries Work

Why Your Gadgets' Batteries Degrade

Four easy tips to make your batteries last longer

Simple version: the chemicals inside the battery degrades with age, while putting them through regular usage cycles helps maintain the chemicals stability, and helps prevent possible crystallization.

That said, to achieve maximum life, slow charging is much better, preventing heat and pressure, and use them to at around 45% discharge before recharging them, and then let it sit of an hour or more before using them (after recharging).

But to note that unless you actually know what battery is used inside a sealed mod, you could have a good quality battery, just like you could have a mediocre one.

Which is why (all these reasons) having a mod that you can put in your own choice of battery is a much better choice.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Which is why (all these reasons) having a mod that you can put in your own choice of battery is a much better choice.

You must have missed the part where the OP said he/she knows this, but LOVES the MVP and has always used them, :) and if that is what keeps them off the stinkies, then I'm not going to say separate batteries are *better*.

Some people don't want to be changing out batteries, don't want a separate charging station on countertop......I can think of 10 other reasons. I'd rather have a few mods w/built in batts because I absolutely hate screwing off caps and stuff to replace batts.

Charge your MVP to 60% or so, check 'em every 6 months.

I have a kindle and an ipad mini that I store and they are fine 5 years later.........

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
You must have missed the part where the OP said he/she knows this, but LOVES the MVP and has always used them, :) and if that is what keeps them off the stinkies, then I'm not going to say separate batteries are *better*.

Some people don't want to be changing out batteries, don't want a separate charging station on countertop......I can think of 10 other reasons. I'd rather have a few mods w/built in batts because I absolutely hate screwing off caps and stuff to replace batts.

Charge your MVP to 60% or so, check 'em every 6 months.

I have a kindle and an ipad mini that I store and they are fine 5 years later.........

(Just removal a post no longer needed)

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
too hard to look that up or do you plan to argue on this item also?

*sigh*
Things You Should Know About Lithium Ion Battery

How Lithium-ion Batteries Work

Why Your Gadgets' Batteries Degrade

Four easy tips to make your batteries last longer

And if that's too hard and long to read, here's the super simple version: the chemicals inside the battery degrades with age, while putting them through regular usage cycles helps maintain the chemicals stability, and helps prevent possible crystallization.

That said, to achieve maximum life, slow charging is much better, preventing heat and pressure, and use them to at around 45% discharge before recharging them, and then let it sit of an hour or more before using them (after recharging).

But to note that unless you actually know what battery is used inside a sealed mod, you could have a good quality battery, just like you could have a mediocre one.

What I want from you - just a link where it is written that best longevity batteries get while used. There nothing like it in your links. So?

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
I just received 2 new MVP3.0 Pro's and want to store them for the future. Do I make sure they are fully charged before storing them? I have 2 that I am now using in rotation which I have had for more than 2 years. They probably still have a lot of life left in them, but with the way things are going I wanted backups. I considered buying a mod that you could replace batteries in but I love my MVP's so why change :)

Why not just rotate them. I rotate all my mods and 18650's batteries.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I owe you absolutely freaking nothing... all you do, EVERY time I've seen your name is be an ... and argue with everyone if only to try to be all smart.. so you know what.. those links have the info, probably over your head.. enjoy.
So, you was wrong but unwilling to admit it. Please, next time be careful giving people advises on batteries.
It's OK with me.

Ibitz

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Johnson City, TN, USA
Jeeze I didn't want to start an argument. It makes sense to me that if I rotate the ones I have including the 2 new ones they might last longer. The new ones seem to be at about 70% charged when I got them. Maybe I will use one in rotation and the other I will save. That should tell the story down the line. I have been buying nothing but MVP's since I switched out from an Ego Twist probably 3 years ago. My original one I gave to my grandaughter (but she quit vaping and started smoking again :( and I still have the other 3. I have not used the 2nd one I bought in a long time. I will have to charge it and see if it still works. Each time I bought a new mvp I bought the upgrade to where I am now using the Pros. I have been extremely happy with my MPV's so that is why I hesitated buying something different.

Anyway, maybe you need to know that I am a 75 year old woman. Change is not easy for me :) When I find something that works, I stick with it. Maybe that is why I have been married for 50 years!

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I owe you absolutely freaking nothing... all you do, EVERY time I've seen your name is be an ... and argue with everyone if only to try to be all smart.. so you know what.. those links have the info, probably over your head.. enjoy.
In my experience it is YOU that argues with everyone about everything. Is that a girlie thing..

Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Jeeze I didn't want to start an argument. It makes sense to me that if I rotate the ones I have including the 2 new ones they might last longer. The new ones seem to be at about 70% charged when I got them. Maybe I will use one in rotation and the other I will save. That should tell the story down the line. I have been buying nothing but MVP's since I switched out from an Ego Twist probably 3 years ago. My original one I gave to my grandaughter (but she quit vaping and started smoking again :( and I still have the other 3. I have not used the 2nd one I bought in a long time. I will have to charge it and see if it still works. Each time I bought a new mvp I bought the upgrade to where I am now using the Pros. I have been extremely happy with my MPV's so that is why I hesitated buying something different.

Anyway, maybe you need to know that I am a 75 year old woman. Change is not easy for me :) When I find something that works, I stick with it. Maybe that is why I have been married for 50 years!
HI,

No arguments, just some people that have nothing to offer and just had a need to attempt to sound smart, and tested my patience. Sorry if I sounded harsh.

I wanted to provide you with as much information, and hopefully have.

I do recommend that you rotate them instead of letting them sit, otherwise, by the time you'll get to the "stored one", there is a chance that the battery might not even work anymore, or worse, they could break down and leak (or worse). These batteries are quite powerful, something that people might not be aware of (to what extent), and they really require proper care.

For your question "so why change":
One thing I see is that everyone that vapes for a while, always "upgrades" sooner or later, and we now have such a wide selection, that of course, go with something that you enjoy, but as you grew from the Ego Twist to the MPV, you may try something new just for fun and switch all over again... it's about having fun with it.. just so many options. I just hate to see people throwing out money with devices that are locked and are simply completely disposable, simply because they didn't know, didn't have proper information.

I also got a few mods that were sealed at first, and in time I realized how fast they tend to die out, plus the need to replace a fully functioning mod over a dead battery... I was very happy when the replaceable battery models started coming out. And that is why I am merely suggesting that in time, when it's time to upgrade again, you might consider getting a mod that you can replace the battery.

And I'm also guilty of sticking with what works.. I tend to go buy "back-ups" of a lot of things... and most times, I don't regret (and they end up saving the day when the old one gives out, other times, I end up with a few things that ends up sitting there. (but anything with a built-in battery is never a great thing... I've had to replace the battery in quite a few things that were still new, but the battery didn't make it before I started to use the device, but I'm handy with tools and soldering.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
we should assist each other and lately, this place is just turning into a pissing contest where everyone NEEDS to argue, NEEDS to try and one-up anyone else.

Darlin' I been here a long time. Nobody was one-upping anybody.

The OP, who is happy with her MVP mods, asked how to extend battery life.

Instead, you suggested that she purchase an entirely different product.o_O

(I call that one-upping).

I find that annoying and always have. For years in the new vapers section, an OP would state their needs very clearly, and then 5 people would invariably post up equiptment that doesn't even remotely fit that vaper's needs, because they aren't reading what the DESIRES of that person are......they are instead projecting their own desires onto that person. I don't feel this is exactly "helping".

So..... I stand by my remarks to you. Somebody asks a specific question, they deserve an answer specific to the question they asked.

The OP did NOT ask for a new mod recommendation.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Darlin' I been here a long time. Nobody was one-upping anybody.

The OP, who is happy with her MVP mods, asked how to extend battery life.

Instead, you suggested that she purchase an entirely different product.o_O

(I call that one-upping).

I find that annoying and always have. For years in the new vapers section, an OP would state their needs very clearly, and then 5 people would invariably post up equiptment that doesn't even remotely fit that vaper's needs, because they aren't reading what the DESIRES of that person are......they are instead projecting their own desires onto that person. I don't feel this is exactly "helping".

So..... I stand by my remarks to you. Somebody asks a specific question, they deserve an answer specific to the question they asked.

The OP did NOT ask for a new mod recommendation.

(Just removal a post no longer needed)

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Take Care of your Battery is very important. Turn off when not using. Especially important if you are carrying the battery in a bag or in your pocket, as sitting on it can cause the ecigarette to fizzle away.

Turning it off when in a bag is excellent advise... closing the airvent of the tank is also a good thing. You don't want your vape to trigger in a bag or have it leak!

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Try to cycle them at least twice a month followed by a full charge, should be good for long term...

as mentioned above since unjust laws are being implemented all over the world I would suggest at least getting one 18650 Mod since 18650's will remain on the market longterm and at least one mech mod and buy replacement switches etc even if you don't use mech's most are extremely durable even clones that are dirt cheap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread