Stormy's Baby Notta Tank assembly and filling

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
My tank uses the same tubing and vinyl grommets. The separate top piece allows it to use any length carto.

A few different port treatments.

fill_port_-_1.jpg

Another nice thing about the separate top assembly, it's quite easy to partially cover the carto hole with the bottom grommet if the hole happens to be a tad big, without any loss of capacity.

I guess if I searched I could find a smaller thumb screw, but I'm a function type. They have them at HomeDepot.

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
Deb, another way I'm going to do next is a hard plastic screw with a very small flat rubber washer behind the head of the screw next, gotta head down to the hardware store, this will work even better I think. I have seen people using metal screws but haven't seen a clear hard plastic one with a washer behind it so I'm shooting for that next.

let me know how that works...:)

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Debb,

Just got some really nice clear hard plastic screws, they look like glass and are low profile so they are hardly noticeable Deb, these will look really nice. I have one of those old hardware stores near my home that stocks all sorts of crazy stuff, love going there, the old hardwood floors and just everything about it is cool. I will see if I can get some pics up soon, these look great and fit perfect, they look like this exactly but there very small 1/8" = http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/search.aspx?search=1/8" clear screws&page=1

Last edited:

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
@Wannagethealthy, as WillyB was getting at I believe, if you're getting juice coming from battery end of the carto; then it's not your tank thats leaking; it sounds like your carto is oversaturated. Without more information, I'm going to guess you replaced the top grommet without giving the air in the tank a way to escape. Re-read this from the instructions above to see if it help:

TIP: This took me a few leaks to figure out: When you push the top grommet back into the tank, you're creating pressure in the tank that will force juice into the slit, and eventually out through the bottom of the carto. To avoid this - Don't push the top grommet the whole way back into the tank. Instead only push it down far enough that the rubber is slightly inside the tank wall. This will create enough of a seal to keep the juice from running out when you turn the tank upside down. Yes- upside down. The reason for this is you want the air that's trapped in the tank to be positioned in a bubble over the slit before you push the grommet the whole way in. By doing this, you'll only force air into the carto instead of juice and you'll hopefully avoid any leakage. It takes a little practice and it's not a perfect solution, but it will save you alot of leaks.

And by the way, Stormy has switched over to punched cartos now instead of the slit style, but the instructions above still apply.

WannaGetHealthy

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
Yeah the juice was leaking out of the carto at the threaded end at the rate of "slow drip". I pushed the top grommet in to place with the slit above juice level as per instructions. It still leaks from time to time, but not always. I've tried using the syringe needle pressure equalization technique....with limited success. I'm starting to think the hull breech in the carto is too large....which leads me to believe I'll be doing a lot of experimentation with this before I find the goldylocks sized hole (not too big, not too small).....and then I'll be switching juices so I'll have to find a new goldylocks sized hole for the potentially new viscosity of the new juice.

*UPDATE* During the night, the carto leaked again......the whole dead gum tank down to the level of the slit I cut. Looks like I was indeed correct, the slit is just too big. Worst part....the juice trickled down in a perfect path to get in to the switch of my old style Infinty, and thus, inside the PV, coating the pot, creating a short.

*UPDATE TO THE UPDATE* My Infinity was no longer in warantee range, so I offered to pay for repair. They no longer have any of the old PCBs used in the old style Infinity, so they can't repair it. I tried the ISO bath as the cats at notcigs suggested (for more info you can search the forum for it).......fail. I believe the board is officially shot, bummer. So my baby notta is sidelined until I get a different tube style PV, which might be a while. In the mean time, if anyone wants to go over the info from the black box and tell me how to make the proper sized hole in the side of a carto, and thus solve my leaking problem, I'd appreciate it. When I do finally get around to trying the tank system again, I'd sorta like to know how to go about it correctly, instead of wasting juice (it was DIY, so no big whoop) on a leak on to a wooden nightstand with a finish that apparently doesn't like juice I had in the tank (not an antique, so no big whoop) and potentially frying a PV (the last VV PV mod I had on hand, so yeah.....heck of a big whoop :( ). Thanks in advance for the tips/pointers.

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
Yeah the juice was leaking out of the carto at the threaded end at the rate of "slow drip". I pushed the top grommet in to place with the slit above juice level as per instructions. It still leaks from time to time, but not always. I've tried using the syringe needle pressure equalization technique....with limited success. I'm starting to think the hull breech in the carto is too large....which leads me to believe I'll be doing a lot of experimentation with this before I find the goldylocks sized hole (not too big, not too small).....and then I'll be switching juices so I'll have to find a new goldylocks sized hole for the potentially new viscosity of the new juice.

*UPDATE* During the night, the carto leaked again......the whole dead gum tank down to the level of the slit I cut. Looks like I was indeed correct, the slit is just too big. Worst part....the juice trickled down in a perfect path to get in to the switch of my old style Infinty, and thus, inside the PV, coating the pot, creating a short.

*UPDATE TO THE UPDATE* My Infinity was no longer in warantee range, so I offered to pay for repair. They no longer have any of the old PCBs used in the old style Infinity, so they can't repair it. I tried the ISO bath as the cats at notcigs suggested (for more info you can search the forum for it).......fail. I believe the board is officially shot, bummer. So my baby notta is sidelined until I get a different tube style PV, which might be a while. In the mean time, if anyone wants to go over the info from the black box and tell me how to make the proper sized hole in the side of a carto, and thus solve my leaking problem, I'd appreciate it. When I do finally get around to trying the tank system again, I'd sorta like to know how to go about it correctly, instead of wasting juice (it was DIY, so no big whoop) on a leak on to a wooden nightstand with a finish that apparently doesn't like juice I had in the tank (not an antique, so no big whoop) and potentially frying a PV (the last VV PV mod I had on hand, so yeah.....heck of a big whoop :( ). Thanks in advance for the tips/pointers.

so sorry about your pv...maybe you can get one from the classys...I would use a different carto...if the carto is leaking from batt end...and I can't get it to stop..I use another...I use 1 small slot and don't fill my carto...my first fill usually goes down quickly as the carto absorbs it....then I fill again and it usually works...:)

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Well I think all have realized by now tanks (and I mean any tank out there) are no plug&play affair. And seeing as cartos can vary (these ain't precision things) the perfect technique/hole/slit may not work 'perfect' on the next.

FWIW the Boges are much less finicky than the DCs.

One thing though I always set my tanks on their side when not in use, never upright.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Well I think all have realized by now tanks (and I mean any tank out there) are no plug&play affair. And seeing as cartos can vary (these ain't precision things) the perfect technique/hole/slit may not work 'perfect' on the next.

FWIW the Boges are much less finicky than the DCs.

One thing though I always set my tanks on their side when not in use, never upright.

@Willy I think you and I are pretty much of the same mind when it comes to these...I gotta give you a +1 on all you said. There is no 1 "correct" answer to anything dealing with tanks; alot of it is trial and error.

@Wannaget - sorry to hear about the Infinity; but I'm glad to hear you were able to salvage it. I hope it hasn't turned you off to tanks altogether. They're not perfect, but once you find a happy medium that works for you, they really make vaping alot less work and more enjoyable. As for me personally, I try to tailor the hole I punch in the cartos according to the juice viscosity. Thin juice, smaller hole, thick juice larger hole obviously. I don't have any exact measurements to provide since it's mostly an educated guess, but it's been working for me. If it'll help, I'll take a pic next time I'm punching mine to try and illustrate the different sized holes I use for each juice.

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
*UPDATE FOR THE UPDATE OF THE UPDATE*
Second iso bath worked, so I'm back in VV business. How do you make your slot Deb, please be as specific as you can tolerate (what cutting wheel exactly, how long of a cut, ect)

I am not good with mm's...I just use the small wheel that came with my walmart dremel...and just lightly "tap" dremel the same spot just til it "breaks skin"...sorry I can't be more help...but measurements are not my strong suit...

btw...what do you mean old infinity...I have my beta ...is that unfixable if it goes...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread