Stormy's Baby Notta Tank assembly and filling

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannaGetHealthy

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
I thought I had posted a reply before now....meh....smart phone fail I suppose. Oh well. As of now, I'm still bottom feeding, so tanks aren't that much of a priority, but I feel like it's a technique worth looking in to, as I am starting to mod a little from time to time. I'm envisioning a nice PT with a tank as one of my first mods.

btw...what do you mean old infinity...I have my beta ...is that unfixable if it goes...?

Old infinity as in pre-infinity pro/buzz. Apparently they just aren't making those PCBs anymore. I'm sure they will repair any that are still in the warranty zone, but for those of us who have units outside of warranty, so sorry Charlie. With stuff like this, it is bound to happen really, so I'm not upset about it. When this mod finally dies for real, I'll look at getting another one.

WillyB said:
These work well for consistent and easy carto punching.

Very nice lookin! If I get to the point where I use tanks more, I'll look in building me one of those for sure!

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So I got my 2 new Notta tanks and had a 1st bad attempt filling them. I read through these instructions and tried filling my 1st one. I did try to keep the carto holes exposed (not submerged in fluid) but the carto flooded badly after a few vapes on it. It was flooding so badly I could actually watch the contents of the tank go down. I took it apart, blew out the carto and tried again. I waited a while to let it settle down after filling the tank and gave it another try. Same thing, after a few vapes the carto flooded badly again. Hmmm! I tried again pulling the top gromet loose and filling that way. Same problem.

Then I thought - is it me or is it that the pre-punched carto's have two holes in them? Am I just a klutz or could it be because there are 2 holes in the carto's? Most everything I've read about punching carto's says to put 1 hole or slit in the carto?

Any hints / help / comments about 2 holes vs: 1 or what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
So I got my 2 new Notta tanks and had a 1st bad attempt filling them. I read through these instructions and tried filling my 1st one. I did try to keep the carto holes exposed (not submerged in fluid) but the carto flooded badly after a few vapes on it. It was flooding so badly I could actually watch the contents of the tank go down. I took it apart, blew out the carto and tried again. I waited a while to let it settle down after filling the tank and gave it another try. Same thing, after a few vapes the carto flooded badly again. Hmmm! I tried again pulling the top gromet loose and filling that way. Same problem.

Then I thought - is it me or is it that the pre-punched carto's have two holes in them? Am I just a klutz or could it be because there are 2 holes in the carto's? Most everything I've read about punching carto's says to put 1 hole or slit in the carto?

Any hints / help / comments about 2 holes vs: 1 or what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Mike, as Debb mentioned above, I also have the best luck with a single punch. I've tried the dual hole setup and pretty much experienced what you did with the draining juice. From then on it was one hole. It takes a little getting used to to get the right sized hole for the juice you're running; but its not rocket science. Anyone can do it with a little practice. The hard part is realizing that the difference between a "small" punch and a "large" one could probably be measured in 32nds of an inch. I'm not saying to get out a ruler an measure, I'm just saying that you have to experiment a little and you will end up with a few that just don't work right for you before you get the hang of it. BUT, once you do; it's well worth it, believe me

Finally, a tank usage and mod thread! I was going to get a tank soon because I'm sick of filling cartos, but I think I'll sit out on these until someone comes out with an easy fill- non leaking one.

Perhaps by Springtime??

r77 - Several people have already come up with a tank modification you may be interested in. They're drilling fill holes in the tank itself and using small thumb screws to plug the hole. When its time to refill, remove the screw, fill via syringe, and replace the screw. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Is there an advantage to not filling the carto before filling the tank vs. filling the carto then filling the tank?

Windlvr, I'll be honest I've never assembled a tank with an empty carto so I can't say how well it will or won't work. To me I'd rather have the carto pre-filled so it will only wick as needed from the tank. Inserting an empty one, if it wicks properly, will only serve to drain your tank faster and cause you to have to refill. Plus, I'd rather prefill mine so I know they're saturated before use and avoid the chance of dry burning the carto. So I'd have to say I can't think of an advantage of NOT prefilling it before assembly.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
If a 1 hole punch seems to be preferred by most and works more consistently why on earth do they ship the Notta with a 2 hole carto and even the replacement carto's I bought at the same time as my tanks come with two holes. It's like I've wasted my money on the extra carto's.

Its a matter of preference, and the people who've spoken up and talked to Stormy obviously prefer the dual punch. She won't know unless you tell her. I've found Stormy to be extremely accommodating to her customers when they ask. My last set of Notta's I asked for without the tank fill-hole pre-drilled, and that's exactly what she sent me. :thumb:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I'm going to punch 1 hole in one of my carto's and give the tank another try. If that solves my problem, I'll let Stormy know that it may not be good to ship 2 hole carto's as the default. People like me, 1st time buyer from her site, and 1st time users of tanks can get a bad impression of both the tank and purchasing from her in general. I'll be nice with my feedback - I'm not an angry 1st time customer. There's so much trial and error in e-cigs and gear, to me it comes with the territory learning new things and all that. Thanks Ever1ast for you comments.

pnc81498

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
Central NJ
My solution to wow thats a big hole is i took a bottom cover (condom) and cut it so it slips over carto and covers hole. I then sliced a X in (condom) covering the way to big hole.... It acts like a flapper so to say not perfect but at least you don't waste the carto, Hopefully i don't make anymore way to big holes but its working a week now without flooding. also if the holes are on opposite sides or above each other you can completely plug one by doing this...

Hope it helps in some way.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
My solution to wow thats a big hole is i took a bottom cover (condom) and cut it so it slips over carto and covers hole. I then sliced a X in (condom) covering the way to big hole.... It acts like a flapper so to say not perfect but at least you don't waste the carto, Hopefully i don't make anymore way to big holes but its working a week now without flooding. also if the holes are on opposite sides or above each other you can completely plug one by doing this...

Hope it helps in some way.

I actually tried this. But I may have hurried and not had the air bubble over the hole and perhaps I had too much pressure in the tank when I closed it up.

Then I actually tried a 'condom sleeve' covering both holes. Still had flooding, but I don't think there was a chance that the air was expunged from the tank when putting the end cap back on - as both holes were covered. I was surprised that the carto still flooded. Even juice seeped under the 'condom sleeve' to get into the carto. This surprised me. I thought I wouldn't get enough juice getting into the carto.

Yikes! i'll figure this out yet. Too many people using tanks successfully to stop me from doing the old - try, try again.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
how does the Clearomizer/Cartomizer compare to this?
Is it a 510 type plug on the notta atomizer??
Will it work with eGo battery?

Thanks.

I can't help with an answer about the carto/tank compared to a Clearomizer. But the carto's that come with the Notta are for 510 threads. And yes they should work with an eGo battery.

pnc81498

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
Central NJ
You will get it been using 3 different tanks for a week now no floods and or leaks... cost me 4 carto's chalked them up 2 a learning experience. 1st 1 i dam near nailed the carto to my table,, So I put a nail all the way through a small piece of wood leaving just the nail tip poping through other side install the carto on a old battery position it over nail tip and using a rubber mallet hit the carto against the nail as close to battery conection as possable, as long as it don't squash the carto it will be perfect hole since its not long enough to do anything else... Woods flat don't move more control over carto holding it with a battery only thing u can do wrong is hit it to hard flattening the carto..... Did this when using a steel claw hammer FLAT!!

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
how does the Clearomizer/Cartomizer compare to this?
Is it a 510 type plug on the notta atomizer??
Will it work with eGo battery?

Thanks.

2nd and 3rd questions - yes to both.
For your first question, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're asking. A clearomizer type carto is self contained- You fill it with a ml or so of juice and vape. The tank system uses the coil contained inside the carto to generate vapor, but it wicks juice from the tank so you're not constantly having to refill/drip more juice. I'm not sure this answered what you're asking Krewblink....feel free to post up with what you're trying to find out.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
You will get it been using 3 different tanks for a week now no floods and or leaks... cost me 4 carto's chalked them up 2 a learning experience. 1st 1 i dam near nailed the carto to my table,, So I put a nail all the way through a small piece of wood leaving just the nail tip poping through other side install the carto on a old battery position it over nail tip and using a rubber mallet hit the carto against the nail as close to battery conection as possable, as long as it don't squash the carto it will be perfect hole since its not long enough to do anything else... Woods flat don't move more control over carto holding it with a battery only thing u can do wrong is hit it to hard flattening the carto..... Did this when using a steel claw hammer FLAT!!

PNC - I've seen several different methods, from commercial jigs to the valve punches. I used a piece of 2x6 I had laying around, drilled a hole, and marked off the height I needed for the cartos depending on the type of tank it was going into. Took me 2 minutes to make, cost $0, and I've used it to punch every carto I use. BTW, if you don't have a punch/awl like in the pic, a small nail or brad will substitute just fine.

100_9505.jpg

krewblink

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
California
2nd and 3rd questions - yes to both.
For your first question, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're asking. A clearomizer type carto is self contained- You fill it with a ml or so of juice and vape. The tank system uses the coil contained inside the carto to generate vapor, but it wicks juice from the tank so you're not constantly having to refill/drip more juice. I'm not sure this answered what you're asking Krewblink....feel free to post up with what you're trying to find out.

Yeah you pretty much answered my question. I was just trying to figure out what was a better system... Im hearing too many flooding issues with the Notta... So i think the clearomizer will fit my needs for right now.... Thanks.

WindLvr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
Erie, PA
I cut a hole in one of the condoms and placed directly over one of the two holes leaving the other hole from Stormy's Carto covered. Everytime I take a pull on it I can see the rubber being drawn into one of the holes. Essentially leaving my two hole carto a one hole. I just received it today and the tank is working flawlessly with this setup for me. I am using a 70/30 pg/vg juice from Bombay Vaping in it. Love the taste, love that I haven't had to refill 3 times this evening, and love the change of pace. It is notta expensive tank, but with a little tweaking works just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread