Status
Not open for further replies.

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
My solution to wow thats a big hole is i took a bottom cover (condom) and cut it so it slips over carto and covers hole. I then sliced a X in (condom) covering the way to big hole.... It acts like a flapper so to say not perfect but at least you don't waste the carto, Hopefully i don't make anymore way to big holes but its working a week now without flooding. also if the holes are on opposite sides or above each other you can completely plug one by doing this...

Hope it helps in some way.

this has worked well for me..:)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Do I just have to spend some more quality time with my 2 new Baby Notta's before I start lovin' 'em.:confused: I'm new to using tanks and honestly these little gems are frustrating me.:mad: My 1st couple attempts at filling and using one had terrible flooding issues. My 1st fill-up without even vaping on it, I could watch the level of the juice going down in the tank as it flooded into the carto - yikes! :facepalm: So I says to meself - you filled it wrong - you didn't follow the instructions or sumpin'

I empty it and start over again trying to be careful and follow the instructions on Stormy's site and the 1st post of this thread. Better - I can actually try vaping on this. But slowly this one started flooding to the point I had to tear it down and start over again. Then it kinda hit me - the Carto's Stormy sends with them have two holes and most of what I've read folks are using 1 hole or 1 slit.

So I get out the dremel and make a small slot in one of my Boges. Fill 'er up again and yeh! :laugh: It's not flooding and I'm vaping and it's not flooding and I'm vaping. :vapor:I went through 2 tanks and all was well. Then on the third tank, again being careful to have the air bubble over the slot before pressing the top (mouth end) grommet back into place to cover the fill hole, etc. etc. - I'm back to a serious flooding condition.:blush:

And much to my dismay - before I can put the drip tip into the carto and can see it flooding again. What the hey! I let it sit for awhile to settle down, take a kleenex and dab out the very soppy juice at the top of the carto and try vaping. Cool! As I'm drawing on the carto I can see bubbles being sucked into the tank from all around the mouth-end grommet. It's leaking air around the entire perimeter of the grommet (and the grommet is pushed in flush with the end of the tube). Actually the grommet is so loose in the end of the tube that just appying light pressure and it slips down the carto farther into the tube.

I gave up. Took it all apart and it's sitting on the table and I'm starring at it. "You ain't gonna win Baby Notta -Tomorrow I'm going to figure you out".:banana:

Any hints from, from anyone will be appreciated.

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
I go thru that sometimes ..with ALL my tanks...try blowing the carto out...my first fill is always good...but some refills leak...keep in mind ..it is the carto not the tank...one thing I am doing now is using a carto condom as a sleeve over the hole/slit with an X carved in it...works as a plug that opens as you pull...I have been using this for about a week or so.....so far so good...:)

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Any hints from, from anyone will be appreciated.

Mike, I'm working 12 hour shifts today and tomorrow, so I'm swamped at the moment. PM me in a couple days if you haven't figured it out. If we have to, we'll get on the phone and walk through it till we can figure out whats going on with your. --Ever

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Mike, I'm working 12 hour shifts today and tomorrow, so I'm swamped at the moment. PM me in a couple days if you haven't figured it out. If we have to, we'll get on the phone and walk through it till we can figure out whats going on with your. --Ever

Thanks for the offer. I'll likely do just that if I don't get the hang of it.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

Thanks for the offer. I'll likely do just that if I don't get the hang of it.

@Ever1ast - I've been busy too finishing up the woodwork in the kitchen before Bird-Day. I've had better success with the Baby Notta but still running into problems.

First I used a condom to cover one of the holes in the carto's that ship with the tank. This eliminated flooding in one of my tanks. You can see (if you look hard) that even the hole in the condom covers some of the orignal sized hole and on the opposite side the original hole is completely covered. This is vaping fine and it didn't flood on the initial fill-up or while vaping. Been using it like this for a few days now.

IMG_8975-BabyAndCarto.jpg

On my other tank - I took a one of my new carto's and put a small dremel slot into it. This one worked fine for two tank fills. Then when refilling it again - whoops - back to square one. Three times I tried filling it and three times it either flooded severly before I started vaping or shortly after a few vapes it flooded so bad there were pools of liquid at the top of the filling and/or running out the bottom. Shoot! Darn! What the heck after 2 good tanks full.

I noticed 2 things - 1.) the grommet on the mouth end of the tanks just seemed loose. When it was on the carto I could work the carto/gromet up and down in the tube with very little friction. This surely wasn't making a good seal. So I washed everything in water and dryed it off. Then did a 'dry' re-assembly. It sure seemed tight enough now.

So I went thru the fill-er-up sequence and it looked ok. The carto wasn't flooding but as soon as I started vaping it began to severely flood again. I watched as I vaped and all around the mouth-end grommet small air bubbles were being pulled into the tank. I assume this is causing the flooding issue.

So I emptied it and cleaned it all up and noticed a number of mars on the inside of the tank. They don't seem to be scratches deep enough to be causing a leak but maybe they are. I was going to buy some new grommets at the h/w store as they don't look like special food-grade washers. But since Stormy is having a 15% off sale I just bought another Baby Notta tank and a couple packs of replacement grommets (also got a couple of those bigger DC tanks). I'm gonna get to the bottom of this yet.

I'll try the new washers with the tank in this picture and if it I still get air bubbles I'll assume I've scratch the tank. I've still to find the right 'tool' (after trying a few different things) to pry the grommet out a bit to fill via the syringe hole.

Here's what my 'troubled' tank looks like at the fill end from prying out the grommet a number of times.

IMG_8980-SAcratch2.jpg

and

IMG_8976-Scratch1.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I apologize for re-kindleing a thread that been quiet for a week. But with a hint from "Ever1ast" and an xtra O-ring I'm now in love with my Baby Notta's. One of my two tanks gave me flooding trouble.

I would get air leaks and lots of tiny bubbles around it. I even had it pushed completely past the fill hole and it would even leak a very small amount of e-liquid. I tracked it to the grommet at the mouth end just not fitting tight enough. I could actually put it on the end of a carto and easily push it into the tank and move it up and down like a plunger. It wasn't sealing properly. So I order another Notta and a couple repair kits. But out of the 3 I now had - only one would vape consistently with some issue for me.

So I now put an o-ring around each grommet when I assemble them, not just the battery end. This has stopped the air leaking and the very small amount of liquid seeping out the mouth end grommet. And to fill it, I now have fill ports.

I cut off a nylon 6x32 screw for the plug and drilled and tapped a hole in the tank. Very easy to re-fill and no flooding issues. These are great little tanks and now very easy to re-fill.

IMG_8991-Notta-Tanks.jpg

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Replace the carto. ;)

Exactly. They're not meant to be permanent. Depending on the juice and how much you vape you may have to replace them every couple days to every week or so. Darker, sweet juices tend to shorten the lifespan of a carto. Clear non-sweetened ones usually give you a little longer. That said I typically swap mine out at the 1 week mark if they need it or not. Flavors tend to get pretty muted after much longer.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I hope this isn't a completely ignorant question, but why punch the carto instead of drill?

I for one, do drill my carto's. I use an 1/8" bit. Unfortunately, my 'high-end' drill press has some wiggle and w/o the carto being center-punched the bit wobbles before biting into the carto. I also made a jig to easily center-punch the carto's in the same spot repeatedly. For me, the 1/8" hole works for liquid from 80/20 to 50/50 pg/vg ratio, and in dual coil carto's and standard 3.0 ohm carto's. I didn't like the variable size holes I was getting when punching them nor the distortion to the carto. And, when drilling by hand, I too often went to far into the carto after breaking through the metal and destroyed it.:oops: Setting the depth guage on the press to stop just after breaking thru the carto, avoids mistakes.

pv-drill-jig-high-med2.jpg

pv-drill-jig-high-med1.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Please help. What size and where are you getting your polycarbonate tube. I stopped at home depot lowes ace no luck. Please what store or where on the Internet. Also what size?

Edited as I forget to mention that I did try the soda dispensing polycarbonate tube although it is slightly flexible but holding up.

Thanks. :vapor:

Alternate to using polycarbonate:
You can also make your own tanks using syringes. There's a long thread here, explaining it all.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizer-cartomizer-tank-discussion/220756-homemade-syringe-tank-mod-looks-easy.html

Polycarbonate: 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID
For polycarbonate tubing you can go to US Plastics or McMaster-Carr. Be sure to call in the order or specific when doing on-line ordering you want the tubing cut to 2 ft lengths to save shipping costs. US Plastics only sells 8 ft lengths, expensive to ship in the size.

Polycarbonate Tubing | U.S. Plastic Corp. (minimum buy 8ft)

McMaster-Carr (sold in 1ft increments)

Grommets / O-Rings: grommets 5/8" OD x 5/16" ID and O-rings 9/16" OD x 5/16" ID

You can get rubber grommets at Homedepot, Lowes, etc, but it's probably better to use vinyl

Amazon.com: 50 Vinyl Grommets 5/16" Bore Diameter 5/8" O.D.: Automotive

Amazon.com: -203 EPDM O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Black, 5/16" ID, 9/16" OD, 1/8" Width (Pack of 100): Industrial & Scientific

Happy Tanking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread