Strongly debating on trying out a vape, could use help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
vaping is a technique that takes a bit to learn to do properly or you'll have a crappy experience. DON'T pull then inhale on the vape like a smoke or you'll cough and/or pull juice into your mouth, let the hitter do the work and suck slowly and consistently. Once you learned the technique of vaping then dump the crappy stick, buy a decent hitter with 2 external 18650 batts and a good atty. Unless your planning to rebuild coils then be careful of what atty your buying cause some replacement heads are mighty expensive. Researching your vape buys will save you plenty of grief finding out after that you bought a lousy product.
thankyou This helped much!!

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
THANKYOU everyone for contributing to my longevity (I hope haha).I tell ya, it is a progress when you start vaping but having 2 days no cigarettes I can tell You this,man it feels great!! So today I decided to go take the 30 minute drive to a vape shop (no more smoke shops) and I payed 1$ to try a bunch of flavors with there mod they handed me and boy I tell ya those are SO much better. But then he started talking to me about a nic salt (I think)? I’m definitely going to switch to either a mod like he let me try or a nic salt not sure which because I did love that mod!! Oh and I bought this “Ice cold Fizzy Lemonade” juice and it was so much better then the kind I got from the local smoke shop by a mile!! I’m willing to spend up to 100$ for now. I guess my question is with that price range and use to smoking Newport menthols which should I lean towards, nic salt or a good mod? He made a good point that for a few months whatever I do stick to it just to help quit then after a few months begin exploring.

Last edited:

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I am new to vaping. I started 3 months ago. I smoked for 43 years. My first vaping device was Smok Stick V8 Baby. It was big mistake. I still have it and occasionally use it but not with original Smok Baby Beast tank but with Nautilus2 tank. I dislike sub ohm vaping. No matter how great flavor they are capable to deliver I was choking and coughing my lungs out and I wanted something that deliver nicotine buzz and more similar experience to cigarette smoking. After month of struggle with DTL (Direct To Lung) device I learn that there are other vaping devices called MTL ( Mouth Tot Lung) that can provide what I wanted. I bought Aspire Zelos kit that comes with Nautilus 2 tank and as soon as I made a few puffs I knew that finaly I will be able to quit smoking. This kit costed me $50 as much as I was spending weekly for cigarettes and after using it for a few days I bought another Nautilus2 tank and a dozen of Aspire BVC coils.Interestingly I found out that Aspire BVC 0.7 ohm (that qualify as sub ohm) not only provides great flavor and good vape but I was able to use even 12mg nicotine juice without coughing... with Smok I could not even handle 6mg. Aspire Zelos is great mod. Smaller and slimmer than iStic Pico I can put it in my t-shirt pocket and built in battery last me whole day because I do not have to use high wattage and I use most of the time 18 watt. Recently I bought iStic Pico but it was not authentic and despite looking exactly as original did not work properly. I am still considering second mod with exchangable battery cell but I do not want original Pico as it is not very comfortable in my hand... it is small but too short to comfortable pressing fire button. I am considering to buy either Joytech eVic Primo or "indestructible" GeekVape Aegis... both can be bought for less than $50. Currently I started making my own juices and coils so vaping become very cheap after initial investment in hardware (recently I started to use rta tanks)... but I still love to use Nautilus 2 and bvc coils.

Janusz

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
I am new to vaping. I started 3 months ago. I smoked for 43 years. My first vaping device was Smok Stick V8 Baby. It was big mistake. I still have it and occasionally use it but not with original Smok Baby Beast tank but with Nautilus2 tank. I dislike sub ohm vaping. No matter how great flavor they are capable to deliver I was choking and coughing my lungs out and I wanted something that deliver nicotine buzz and more similar experience to cigarette smoking. After month of struggle with DTL (Direct To Lung) device I learn that there are other vaping devices called MTL ( Mouth Tot Lung) that can provide what I wanted. I bought Aspire Zelos kit that comes with Nautilus 2 tank and as soon as I made a few puffs I knew that finaly I will be able to quit smoking. This kit costed me $50 as much as I was spending weekly for cigarettes and after using it for a few days I bought another Nautilus2 tank and a dozen of Aspire BVC coils.Interestingly I found out that Aspire BVC 0.7 ohm (that qualify as sub ohm) not only provides great flavor and good vape but I was able to use even 12mg nicotine juice without coughing... with Smok I could not even handle 6mg. Aspire Zelos is great mod. Smaller and slimmer than iStic Pico I can put it in my t-shirt pocket and built in battery last me whole day because I do not have to use high wattage and I use most of the time 18 watt. Recently I bought iStic Pico but it was not authentic and despite looking exactly as original did not work properly. I am still considering second mod with exchangable battery cell but I do not want original Pico as it is not very comfortable in my hand... it is small but too short to comfortable pressing fire button. I am considering to buy either Joytech eVic Primo or "indestructible" GeekVape Aegis... both can be bought for less than $50. Currently I started making my own juices and coils so vaping become very cheap after initial investment in hardware (recently I started to use rta tanks)... but I still love to use Nautilus 2 and bvc coils.

Janusz
Yeah I see a lot of people talking about smok so I looked into it and I’m seeing a lot of people complaint about them being cheaply made or something so it’s giving me mixed thoughts. I’ll definetely look into a Aspire Zelos. How does a nautilus2 tank differentiate from a baby beast tank? Thankyou!!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yeah I see a lot of people talking about smok so I looked into it and I’m seeing a lot of people complaint about them being cheaply made or something so it’s giving me mixed thoughts. I’ll definetely look into a Aspire Zelos. How does a nautilus2 tank differentiate from a baby beast tank? Thankyou!!
Opposites end of the scales. Baby beast is just that and has 2,3,4 coils and more inside one atty. And low ohms. Will make anyone cough especially if just coming off of smoking. Nautilus is more like smoking a cigarette and to me more natural. Go with the nautilus and .7 ohm coils. Good place to start.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
Opposites end of the scales. Baby beast is just that and has 2,3,4 coils and more inside one atty. And low ohms. Will make anyone cough especially if just coming off of smoking. Nautilus is more like smoking a cigarette and to me more natural. Go with the nautilus and .7 ohm coils. Good place to start.
Is this what you both are recommending, so many websites not sure if this is legit or not lol. Aspire Zelos 50W

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
So I've been a smoker for 8 years, I tried a patch, nicorette gum and chantix. None of which worked. I realized I need that hand to mouth sensation so I really think vaping would be perfect, my first question would be what would be a good starter. I see so many different kids from pens,boxes( I think are called mods?)to a diamond shaped thing. Honestly that' the only discouraging thing that has me weary of trying it, there' literally so many different kinds,shapes and sizes. I do not want to waste money trying them all out. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thankyou guys!

I've been vaping for over 5 years. Most of that time i was using atomizers which leaked, gurgled, burnt and just a pain to use. Having to keep tinkering with them to make them work properly.

All this stopped when i picked up a very expensive atomizer.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Something else to consider when buying a mod that I could have explained a bit better in my initial answer several posts ago.
Internal battery mods... they use who-knows-what battery(s) in those mods so after a while the batts begin to fatigue, not hold their charge as well and not provide the power you need. Your now stuck with a perfectly working mod that is useless cause the batts died. IMO if you get a year out of the internal battery mod then its done well along with having to buy 2 mods cause what you going to vape with while its charging. A lot of us have learned our lesson using an internal batt device and never buy another one.
Single battery mods both internal and external battery... It lacks the knards to power lower ohm thicker gauge wire, multiwire and multi coil heads. If your vaping 1.4-2.5Ω single wire coils then the single battery will do fine but once getting into fancier coils the power is spent heating(ramping) up the coil and nothing left to produce any vape. This gets worse the older the battery becomes. Some boards cut out if there isn't enough power to power the coil or you get almost no life before the battery needs recharging.
2, 3, 4 battery external mods... Some initial spending on charger and batts but in the long run you'll have a much better hitter that will run until its broken. Batteries are only a few bucks to replace vs many bucks to replace a internal batt mod. You'll have the knards to power those lower multiwire coils and the more batts the longer it lasts till they drain. Still the more power you looking to get from a mod the faster your batts drain no matter how many batteries the mod takes.
Avoid using the built in charging of a mod if you can. Those ports are flimsy. some are really cheaply made and held in by a little bit of solder so they break very easy. Some can damage your batts by over charging and/or charging too fast or short out maybe causing a fire or venting battery.
Again researching and knowledge of your buys is a valuable asset.

Cas002

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2018
Omaha NE
Congratulations on the start of your journey away from cancer sticks! I started vaping 7 years ago and never picked up a cigarette again. The key in the beginning, as others have noted, is to focus on not smoking. I joined ECF just recently and the people here are super helpful and there's tons of info to reference during your journey. GL!

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Something else to consider when buying a mod that I could IMO if you get a year out of the internal battery mod then its done well along with having to buy 2 mods cause what you going to vape with while its charging.

2 mods with internal battery are definitely better than one mod with dozen cell batteries. I can vape all day on my internal battery Zelos but if it ever need to be charged during day I will pull out my internal battery Smok StickV8 Baby screw on it Nautilus2 tank and can vape for next 5-6 hours. Smok internal battery is not much bigger than spare 18650 battery cell...and...... have fire button.... what you going to vape with when for some reason fire button on your multi cell mod stop working?

I agree with you that for those vapers that love very low resistance or exotic multi coils single battery mod cell is not good choice but for those that just want substitute for smoking... i am not so sure. If you subtract cost of Nautilus2 tank (around $20-$25) from Zelos Kit cost of internal battery with fire button and all the electronic bells and whistles comes to $15-$35 depending where you buy it.

What I miss on my spare mod battery(Smok StickV8) is ability to set wattage/tc that is why I am planing to buy companion to my Zelos....i do not care how many battery cells it will have... must be well made,durable and not too big...I think GeekVape Aegis meets those critteria... any owners opinions on this mod?

Janusz

Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
THANKYOU everyone for contributing to my longevity (I hope haha).I tell ya, it is a progress when you start vaping but having 2 days no cigarettes I can tell You this,man it feels great!! So today I decided to go take the 30 minute drive to a vape shop (no more smoke shops) and I payed 1$ to try a bunch of flavors with there mod they handed me and boy I tell ya those are SO much better. But then he started talking to me about a nic salt (I think)? I’m definitely going to switch to either a mod like he let me try or a nic salt not sure which because I did love that mod!! Oh and I bought this “Ice cold Fizzy Lemonade” juice and it was so much better then the kind I got from the local smoke shop by a mile!! I’m willing to spend up to 100$ for now. I guess my question is with that price range and use to smoking Newport menthols which should I lean towards, nic salt or a good mod? He made a good point that for a few months whatever I do stick to it just to help quit then after a few months begin exploring.

So glad that youre on the road to putting down cigarettes! Congratulations and glad you found your way here!

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
It is a lot to read. For most, I think it becomes something of a hobby. Not necessarily to buy expensive things, but to try different things. Just so many directions to go. And actually, if you are happy with your second setup and stay there, good for you.

For me, I decided that I would spend the same amount on vaping as I did with cigs, so long as I stayed off of cigs.

The Pico for a mod and the Nautilus for a tank. Simple, capable, and good reputations for the new/simple user. When you go to get a back-up, use your learning and get something closer to your likes. Then make the Pico your back-up.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread