struggling to give up analogues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Also use a higher level nic in am, then reduce nic a bit at noon and vape even lower nic at night. That helps you sleep Good luck and don't sweat it.

Awesome advice. I quit vaping 6 months into my first time because at the time in the country I lived in the lowest mg juice I could get was 11mg and it would give me terrible insomnia if vaped after 6pm.

Now I vape 6mg juice mostly all day long anyway with stronger ones if feel like it in the A.M., but in the eve stick to 6mg and sleep fine.

I'm only two months into vaping, so I'm with you. I used to smoke American Spirit blues. I figured I needed strong tobacco flavors for my V2 after smoking such strong analogs. Turns out that Congress is rather bland and tasteless, but that's my go-to favorite. Sahara was suggested based on my Turkish-like brand preference, but I don't like it. True, everyone's tastes are different (never would've guessed that Chocolate would be my other daily), but the point I'm getting to is that it's a hobby. Smoking regular cigs was a hobby. I didn't look at it as though I had to give up smoking. I wanted to find something to replace that hobby and that habit while still getting my nicotine fix and the feel of inhaling smoke. It wasn't until several weeks into using my ecig that I completely stopped smoking and didn't have anxiety from not having any cigarettes on me. Vaping is a ritual of sorts. Have fun with it and be consumed by trying different flavors and even mixing the ones you have to find your holy grail, but only enough to keep your attention and not break the bank. Don't stress over it unless you have to. The more pressure I put on myself to quit, the more I subconsciously fought myself.

Good luck!

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
I completely agree with this. Smoked Marlboro Menthols and Pipes for years. Turns out I can't stand tobacco ejuice (or at least haven't found one yet that I like) but I love fruits and bubblegum flavors. One piece of advice you'll see a lot is buy two ecig batteries. That way you don't get the urge to smoke while you are charging up your ecig.

He is right about the batteries, I have the passthrough the ones u can use while charging. I actually have five batteries. Gonna get two 900 mahs to carry through out the day that should give me 18 hrs. Also I found where I was kinda desiring an analog from time to time. Started using 18mg but 8 chain vape with the 11mg.
U will get there no worries, in fact with the desire u already are.

kdubbie

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Dallas
I'm no veteran either, however since I started vaping I've only had two cigarettes (9 days ago). When I got my first e-cig I went to a local shop and tried a lot of flavors. I found I like tobacco flavors and some citrus fruit flavors.

What has been working for me is have one high mg nicotine juice, one medium mg nicotine juice, and one low mg nicotine juice, each in it's own tank. I suck on the low mg nic juice all day like a pacifier, every couple of minutes I'm taking a pull. Then for those times when I go an hour or so without it, instantly switch to my medium level and smoke it just as I would an anologue cig. Then for the times when cravings are very intense and have taken over my entire body I switch to my high nic juice and pull on non-stop for a number of pulls, or until I feel like I have gotten enough nicotine.

The hardest part for me has been trying to wrap my brain around the convention of e-cigs and the mental game of how much I "love" the analogue smoking ritual. With analogues we're used to a start and an end of a cigarette, we're used to flicking cigarettes, we're used to going out side, we're used to having packs in our pockets and lighters.

With e-cigs, smoking (now vaping) has completely changed and I for one find that I have been enjoying learning this new ritual. I love the flavors choices, I love the different strengths. I'm going to enjoy (soon enough) saving money and not smelling like smoke. I LOVE that I can smoke in my office and house again.

I will recommend to the heavy smoker getting juice with a big throat hit and high nicotine level for starters and then just keep experimenting until you find the juice/device/tank that works for you

Last edited:

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
So I started vaping today with one of those e Generation 650 batteries, a vivi nova type cart and a high blueberry flavor juice. perhaps I don't like sweet, I have chocolate here I could try and got some tobacco flavor coming in the mail, it's not all lost, I went from about 2 packs to about a little over a pack today. I'm having a hard time completely switching over to vape from analogues as they are called or traditional cigarettes as many newbies will know them.

any tips on this? just forget the analogues and vape a lot until you don't want a traditional tobacco plant material? maybe I should have patience and one day at a time, don't sweat it? I still have a lot of work to do, got another kit coming in the mail, it's basically day one with real vaping.

question is how long before you veterans have found yourself off analogues? I have a carton here of traditional cigarettes that are talking to me, lol!

You're not alone with your first steps into vaping. A lot of us had to go part-time with vape and analogs to get started. There's a learning curve with finding the right delivery system (the clearo, carto, etc..) and the right juice. For me, I had to bounce back and forth for just over a month before I finally found my footing. Keep trying. One thing that helped me was limiting myself to a certain number of analogs a day, and I decreased that number more and more to taper off the real ones. Then, my wife and I had a little weekend getaway where I didn't take any analogs...eureka! After the weekend, I was exclusive to vaping! Good luck. Remember, we're all here to help with support or with questions.

ancientgeek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Like everyone else has said, keep at it. You will succeed. I smoked a pack a day for over 45 years. I tried to quit analogs three years ago using e-cigs as a substitute. At that time, what was mostly available were the analog look-a-likes. They produced some vapor that quickly reduced to almost none. They were fiddley (high maintenance) and I was going through cartridges, atomizers and batteries several times a day. In the end analogs were easier to carry and use. Attempt failed. At the beginning of this year (2013) a couple of co-workers showed up using APVs, in this case, a 650mah eGo-C battery mated to a Kanger T3 clearomizer. I saw lots of vapor and it held enough juice to last the whole day at work. I decided to try e-cigs again on March 16, this time using their set up (and it was only $35). By the end of the first week, I had finished my open pack of analogs and I haven't been back. I've spent some money on additional batteries, backup clearomizers, and juice. But, I'm still ahead of the game. Cost avoided in analogs not smoked is up to $665. And since my wife tried with me, and succeeded too, our cost avoided is over $1300 in just three months.

It is now easier to vape than smoke. It tastes better. My smoker's cough is gone, and no more headaches. I'm off analogs for good. You can be too.

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Thanks for the feedback, I cut down a lot so far in just one day. Patience, I need some of that. In this world of instant gratification I realize that patience is the key with this, I appreciate the note.

the revelation that I regained taste, smell and some breathing capacity after about an 8 hour break from analogues is good enough to keep me going, whether a setback or a few, I'll continue. Thanks

And some of us never completely quit:D, I'll still have 2-4 cigs a day, after smoking 2 PAD I'm VERY happy with that. I don't consider myself a "smoker" anymore but suppose some will. My personal motto is "one less is one less"! :toast:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    I agree with what all the other great people here said. You just have to keep trying until you find what works for you. Doing both at the same time and slowly cutting down is what helped me. It just got to the point where I hated the taste of the cig and loved the flavors I was vaping. Keep at it. One vape at a time. Good luck to you.

Non-Smoking

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 16, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Having a carton around won't help. Here's what I found worked for me, I had no smokes and pulled out my ecig every time I felt myself getting ready to dart to the door to buy a pack. I tried not to vape or smoke. When I had the itch, I pulled out the ecig and puffed away for a couple minutes...the urges just disappeared...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread