Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
i think a lot of new rta troubles could be resolved by the builder watching as many build videos they can find on YouTube. I’ve even watched some in a foreign language just following the video along. Also, search different forums and read peoples experiences with that particular rta.

I typically watch 4 sometimes 5 or 6 videos to see how each person is building it paying close attention to all the aspects wicking and types of coil and their placement. These are CRITICAL in building an RTA.

Look for any differences that builders may have from the majority of others. Read the comments below the videos to see what questions users had and how they were answered.

Then try to duplicate it as much as possible. If you’re having problems then it’s more than likely that the builder skipped something ie thinning the tails or too much or too little cotton/rayon etc...

Muted flavor is almost always due to poor position of the coil. Look again at those videos. Line up the coils exactly like the reviewer did and listen to why- check which way the airflow hits the coil.

I don’t know if I’m just extremely lucky or that I’m obsessed with doing my homework before starting to build but I can’t remember a time when I had problems with leaking, flooding or muted flavor if I had done my homework.

Yes some RTAs are more complicated to build but with enough “homework” it can be done successfully on the 1st or 2nd attempt.

Anyhow this is what has been working for me so I wanted to share it since every day there are so many posts of people having difficulties with their RTAs.

I hope this helps even just one person.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
I tend to do the same thing. But had a problem with the Zeus Dual RTA. All the reviewers stressed on how tricky it is to wick. Tried to wick like in the vids and had nothing but problems either flooding or dry hits. Once I wicked it how I thought it should be wicked no more flooding or dry hits. Only a few reviewers actually use the items for more than for making the vid. It takes me a week or two to get to know how to setup/build an atty to my style of vaping. Now I mainly only watch their vids only to get a look at the atty/device.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Similar issue with Zeus single. A lot of reviewers cut the tails VERY short. I got dry hits that way. I ended up watching a few more and decided to leave them longer. I cut them longer and let the thinned tails touch the deck and tuck them slightly under the deck. Absolutely no problems.

• Agree
Reactions: tdman77

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I think watching builds is helpful for new vapers. It could be replaced by a sticky with a few photos showing the basics and a few tips and tricks. ...but if you make a topic a sticky at the top of the forum then nobody will read it. ;)

A lot of reviewers take a MTL RTA and throw in a "Monster Alien vs Predator Eric Clapton" coil and vape with the air flow WIDE open. I'm a MTL vaper that uses 30 gauge simple wire coils and vape at 8-12 Watts with restricted airflow.

...Only a few reviewers actually use the items for more than for making the vid. It takes me a week or two to get to know how to setup/build an atty to my style of vaping. Now I mainly only watch their vids only to get a look at the atty/device.

I also mostly just skip through videos to get a better look at what isn't shown in the dealer photos.

Last edited:

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
A lot of reviewers take a MTL RTA and throw in a "Monster Alien vs Predator Eric Clapton" coil and vape with the air flow WIDE open. I'm a MTL vaper that uses 30 gauge simple wire coils and vape at 8-12 Watts with restricted airflow.

You are so right on that. No real MTL vaper would use/build a MTL atty like that.

Reactions: smoked25years
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread