Study warns that heating sucralose (Splenda) can be dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
That's always been the case and that's why it's important to be educated. Propaganda has been around for a long long time.

Unfortunately, it has become the norm rather than the exception.

"The public will believe a simple lie rather than a complex truth"
Alexis de Tocqueville

Reactions: Ed_C

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think something that people Should do when reading an Article that references a Study about Toxicity is to exercise a little Quantitative Perspective. Because it is the Dose that makes the Poison. Not the Substance.

I add Sucralose to my DIY. So How Much am I Exposing myself to Potentially Harmful Chemicals if/when the Sucralose undergoes Thermal Breakdown?

I dunno? Have to figure out how much Sucralose I use in a Day.

For a 30ml batch of DIY, I will on average add 6 Drops of Liquid Sucralose. 6 of the Drops I use equates to .3ml. So I'm adding .3ml of Sucralose to my 30ml DIY.

Well... Not Really. Because the Liquid Sucralose I use is Not 100% Sucralose. It is Sucralose in a PG Solution. Been awhile since I actually made a Liquid Sucralose Solution from Pure Sucralose and Pure PG. But I don't recall being able to use 50% Pure Sucralose per volume to 50% Pure PG per volume and being about to keep all the Sucralose in Solution.

It's like Adding Sugar to Water. There comes a point where the Water can Not Dissolve anymore of the Sugar. But lets just use the 50% Salute Ratio and make the Math Simple.

So I'm adding .15ml of Pure Sucralose to 30ml of DIY, (50% of .3ml = .15ml).

Ok. So now how Much do I Inhale in an Average Day?

I use about 6ml of my DIY per Day. 6ml is 20% of 30ml. And 20% of .15ml is .03ml. So I Inhale .03ml of Sucralose on an Average Day.

( I Know. I used 30ml Total Volume instead of 30.3ml Total Volume when I did my Percentages. But since my 6ml/day was an Average, I rounded of the 30.3ml to 30ml and kicked the .3ml difference into my Average. A little bit of Mathematical sweeping under rugs. But I'm doing this without the aid of a Calculator. And the Size of the Sweep was Disproportionate to the Size of the Rug.)

So I Inhale .03ml of Pure Sucralose per day.

How much of this .03ml Sucralose per day is Broken down into Potentially Harmful Chemicals. I dunno? But it Can't be All of it. Else my DIY wouldn't taste Sweet. Should we use a High End Percentile so No One complains? How About 85%?

So if 85% of the Sucralose is convert to Potentially Harmful Chemicals, that would be .025ml of the Sucralose. And that .025ml is per Day.

So know Now the Big Question is if I convert .025ml of Sucralose to Potentially Harmful Chemicals thru Thermal Breakdown, what are the Health Risks involved?

I dunno? But I would willing to bet that it is Significantly Less than Smoking 20 Cigarettes in a Day.

If there are Risks involved from using .03ml of Sucralose per day, can these Risks be Avoid. Sure. Just Don't use Sucralose.

And that Same Logic can be Applied to Flavorings. Because when you Heat Up flavorings you might find that they Might Also undergo Thermal Breakdown into Chemical Compounds that Might pose a Health Risk.

And Once again, the Does is the Poison. And the Average Percentage of Flavorings used in Flavored e-liquids is Much Higher than the Amount of Sweetener that is Added.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed_C

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I think something that people Should do when reading an Article that references a Study about Toxicity is to exercise a little Quantitative Perspective. Because it is the Dose that makes the Poison. Not the Substance.
That is a very good point and one that is hardly ever stated when the popular press reports on scientific studies. Almost everything is toxic at some dose.

Reactions: zoiDman

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
Until we know more I wouldn't say sucralose is safe because if it is giving people headaches there must be something wrong with it. If you do a Google search there are plenty of studies done to show there are problems with sucralose. Here's one of them.

http://www.thesleuthjournal. com/sucraloses-splenda-harms-vastly-underestimated-baking-releases-dioxin/

Sucralose's (Splenda) Harms Vastly Underestimated: Baking Releases Dioxin | The Sleuth Journal

Last edited by a moderator:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
people Should do when reading an Article that references a Study about Toxicity is to exercise a little Quantitative Perspective. Because it is the Dose that makes the Poison. Not the Substance.

Not really true entirely.......to me it is about toxicity to *what* and where/what system it is going into.

I can think up many things in the most minute measurements that when injested, are okay, but inhaled, probably aren't. Injected is a whole 'nother story as well.

Reactions: Hyperspace

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not really true entirely.......to me it is about toxicity to *what* and where/what system it is going into.

I can think up many things in the most minute measurements that when injested, are okay, but inhaled, probably aren't. Injected is a whole 'nother story as well.

I would Think, or at least Hope, that the Differences between Ingestion, Injection, and Inhalation would be Self-Evident to most people.

But once again, it is the Respective Dosages that determines the Potential for Harm.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Until we know more I wouldn't say sucralose is safe because if it is giving people headaches there must be something wrong with it. If you do a Google search there are plenty of studies done to show there are problems with sucralose. Here's one of them.

Let's quit linking quack sites in a vain attempt to bolster the argument.

And as a reminder.

PLEASE READ! Breaking Links to Junk Science and Other Rubbish Posts

Lot of things out there give people headaches. Doesn't make them unsafe. So until it IS proven, one way or the other, the crusading will cease.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
Vaping is harm reduction, not harmless.

One of reasons I dislike most vendor juice is because most of it is so over-sweetened. That sells, so they do that.

Safest way to vape if you are into that is as Ed_C said, unflavored. I often add a drop or 2 (in 30ml) of mint or a fruit flavoring. Not even enough to really taste but gives it a little something.

I had not seen that one yet. I think, as many have stated before, it's the components of the flavorings that are the biggest question marks and it will probably be some time before we have all the answers, as there are so many different flavor components out there. I have been vaping more unflavored juice lately, in part, because of this. That being said, I still think that vaping will be found to be MUCH safer than cigarettes.

How does unflavored juice vape? I've been wanting to give it a try.

Reactions: Hyperspace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread