Sub Ohming vs Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I never understood, why people are so fond of the uwell coils. For me they are kind of okayish, but still lack the flavorpunch my RTAs have.
Speaking for myself, I can honestly say the Uwell Crown (original) coils can match the coils I made for my Kayfun Lite Plus RTA.

Which Uwell tank have you used? Which coils did you use? Did you use the suggested wattage for the specific coil you used?

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Speaking for myself, I can honestly say the Uwell Crown (original) coils can match the coils I made for my Kayfun Lite Plus RTA.

Which Uwell tank have you used? Which coils did you use? Did you use the suggested wattage for the specific coil you used?
I agree with your statement 100%. I use the .5 coils and they deliver great flavor and deliver that flavor for a very long time. Maybe it’s the juice I’m using but these coil are top notch. I use the Zesthia RTA which provides great flavor and the crown is on par with it. Same juice side by side and it isn’t exactly the same flavor from both tanks. It’s slightly different flavor but I can’t say one is definitely better than the other. Two sides of the same coin kinda thing. I haven’t tried a lot of other drop in coil tanks but of the ones I have tried, the uwell crown literally takes the crown. No hyperbole just facts, delicious, tasty, vapor filled facts.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Broke out my OG Crown a couple weeks ago and the flavor didn't come close to my Nanos, .5Ω coil. Nanos have .42Ω coils. Sorry Baditude I still think it's a good tank but doesn't compare to a rta.

Last edited:

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Just an FYI to the OP. Sub ohming means you are vaping at resistances below 1 ohm. You can accomplish that either building or using a drop in coil(in most cases anyway).;)

Cheers, yeah I still get the terms mixed up at times despite knowing what it means LOL. I think it comes from seeing the term with all the drop-in coil tanks I was using when I first started which, at that time, were all below 1 ohm. In fact, all the builds I make now are below 1 ohm so it's kinda dumb for me to keep using the term wrongly. Just got the term wrongly stuck in my head. I think the correct descriptive term I should use is clearomizer, for the tanks I'm thinking of (Melo 3, iJust 2 and Nautilus).

I never heard of the Volt equation you spoke of. It is interesting though I never even thought about the volt readout on my mods, never paid any attention to it. I’m currently running two mods and one is running at 3.12 volts and the other is running at 2.92 volts. So it looks like your equation works for me as well. Although 5volts seems high in my early experiments checking volts. I don’t think I’d go over 4 volts but that just may be due to my current builds. Anyway thanks for bringing this to my attention, I never even considered volts. Well haven’t considered since I got my first watt mod and moved away from the VV only mod many many moons ago

Welcome, it's not something I've ever come across before either TBH. I had looked at all variations of ohms law and online resources such as Steam but they were all focused on giving you the unknown variable when you knew 2 other parts of the equation. Nothing about "when is it likely you will almost certainly get a burnt coil / dry hit from overheating. Can't do it by watts because 20w on one build might be the same as 100 on another. Resistance also can't be used. The only other advice, which of course IS correct, was start off low and work up to a flavour you like. But I still thought there must be SOME general guideline you can use as an upper limit, like a red line on a rev counter.

Was pointed in the direction of volts by a helpful poster on a Thai forum who said he worked on 5v as a rough guide. 5v would work but for me, at least at the moment with the builds I'm using, while I can go up to 5v, I find it borderline too hot and too sweet (with fruit juices) so I kinda have 5v as a REAL MAX in my head (well into the red on the rev counter) but tend to find the max for me is around 4/4+ (into the amber). Like I say, I don't think it works well with clearomizer coils which have their wattages stamped on. Oddly at the moment, I'm trying one of those rated at 0.8 where iLeaf have the wattage at 30-100. I've taken it to 50 and seriously, beyond that I'm sure it would burn, but I guess that will depend on the juice.

I find the 4-5v guideline useful when I'm changing tanks or putting in a new build, a quick press of the fire button will immediately show the volts being drawn and whether I need to drop the wattage down or raise it to get within the safe zone for vaping or bedding the coils in (which I do at way below the power they might ultimately be able to take but at a power that's not so low it has zero effect).

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I tried soaking my SMOK coils in vodka and then water, but after drying still had a burnt/odd taste I could never get past. Maybe it's because I wasn't using Everclear? :)
I cleaned one in high proof moonshine once. No matter how much i rinsed it, still tasted like moonshine. :eek:

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
I am loving building my own stuff now on a Kylin Large (if that's a term :p) and Ammit. Its quite a nice idle hobby. And yes, all the other tanks are just lying there half filled with juice! The flavor is just not there! :)

In the long run, wouldn't it be cheaper as well? Coils for tanks go kaput in about a week or so.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I am loving building my own stuff now on a Kylin Large (if that's a term :p) and Ammit. Its quite a nice idle hobby. And yes, all the other tanks are just lying there half filled with juice! The flavor is just not there! :)

In the long run, wouldn't it be cheaper as well? Coils for tanks go kaput in about a week or so.
Most definitely cheaper. I just made a couple coils for one of my bravos from a spool of 22ga kanthal that i had layin around. Nice tight little coils, prob cost pennies that i spent several months ago. Compare that to a 5 dollar smok v12 t8 that has barely lasted a week. Ill rewick the bravo in a few days, the juice is a gunker. But the coils will last much much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread