Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I've been vaping a long time, starting with ego's, but it didn't take long to move to a Provari.

Back then, ECF had tons of threads where people were told "Just get a Provari". And that was good advice at the time.

But yesterday, I bent over, the Provari fell out of my pocket, smacked on the concrete floor in the garage, and no longer functions. And Provape is out of business.

I've also been using an Aspire Nautilus tank and coils. With the "Hollowed Out Stainless Steel Sleeve", which made it much stronger when dropped. I was very happy with the system I had, so while I knew that there were lots of new things out, I never bothered to keep up with "the new thing", didn't spend money to upgrade, just vaped along without thinking about it.

I have a backup device that uses the same 18650 batteries that my Provari used. It's acceptable as a backup, but not a good long term solution (and even if it was, I would need a new backup.)

I don't need super-room-sized-clouds, just something that works well. I don't need something that "looks cool", I think vaping is inherently un-cool and silly looking. (But it beats the heck out of cigarettes no matter how you measure.) I don't want sub-ohm stuff. I would much prefer to continue using 18650 batteries if possible. I'm willing to move to a new tank/coil system while I'm upgrading, if needed, but also happy to stay with my Nautilus. I do tend to accidentally abuse it. It's a wonder the Provari lasted this long, honestly. So a tuff device is a bonus.

Way back when, the usual advice was "Get a Provari". That was the gold standard back then, and very common advice. How about now?

I'm also putting at least some thought into attempting to stop vaping. I've never really tried, other than going 0 nic for awhile to see if it happened naturally if I didn't have nic. It didn't and I moved back to a low-nic level. Most of the reasons I wanted to quit smoking don't apply to vaping, but it is still an addiction, and would be nice to get rid of it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
What's your budget? And are you sticking to a Nauti mtl style of vaping? There are some alternatives for mtl out there now to think about but nothing wrong with staying with what works.

Other helpful things are tube style like the provari important or is a box mod shape acceptable? There are also models out there good for rough handling and less than optimal environmental conditions, or us this a stay at home device for you?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’m no provarotti, but I read a lot of stuff here. As I hear it the preferred provari replacement is a Jac vapor sandstorm with either your current nautilus (they’re still considered good btw) if it’s got a 510 connector instead of one of those P3s, or an innokin zenith, which is physically wider and may fit better on top of the sandstorm. Aspire also makes innumerable versions of the nautilus if you’ve got a pile of coils stashed or something.

Vape Mod | E Cigarette | JAC Vapour

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Baldr - You're a verified member, with access to the ECF Classifieds, so you just might want to consider paying a little visit there. You might be surprised by a few things there, the last I checked a day or so ago. ;)

Another mod suggestion I could make is the Geek Vape Aegis 100W TC Mod. They're well made and are tough...waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. They still have the Silver/Brown one available at the following website for $43.59. They take a single 18650 or 26650 battery. They come with an adapter, so you can use either one.

Geekvape Aegis TC Box Mod

The website does require definite age verification though, before they'll consider your purchase to be complete and ship the mod. If you buy one, check your email then...for what you need to do to verify your age.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I'm not set on tube style or not, I suspect box is fine. Budget isn't really an issue as long as it's a solid device that will last, like the provari did. I don't want to spend money just to spend it, but price won't be my main decision point either. It will go everywhere I go, not just at home, and it will get used in the garage where I have a small woodworking shop. (And anything that get dropped tends to hit cement.)

I don't know what "mtl" means, so can't answer that question. Bottom line, I'm willing to change everything. I know that there have been a lot of developments in vaping through the years, and I have used the exact same setup for a very long time. I like larger tanks, 18650 batteries. I want decent safety features. I don't care bout 'This has LED disco lights, bubble machines, the latest Don't I Look Cool features and is internet capable" stuff. Just a solid dependable vape. Long ago, variable voltage was a feature I certainly wanted. Now maybe it's variable wattage or something else. I notice lots of mods are marketed based on how much wattage they can handle. Ability to adjust is probably more important to me than having a massive high end, I'm not trying to chase huge clouds. I don't know enough about what the "75 watt, 100 watt" stuff means to make any decision based on that. I've no idea what max wattage was on my provari. (It was either a 2.0 or 2.5 version, can't remember which.)

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I guess there isn't a stock answer like "Just get a provari" used to be, else I'd have have been told that already.

The Aegis TC Box Mod JC linked sounds like it's built to take abuse, so worth serious consideration. Age verification isn't an issue. I'd love it if my biggest problem was "You are too young".

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@Baldr - You're a verified member, with access to the ECF Classifieds, so you just might want to consider paying a little visit there. You might be surprised by a few things there, the last I checked a day or so ago. ;)

Another mod suggestion I could make is the Geek Vape Aegis 100W TC Mod. They're well made and are tough...waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. They still have the Silver/Brown one available at the following website for $43.59. They take a single 18650 or 26650 battery. They come with an adapter, so you can use either one.

Geekvape Aegis TC Box Mod

The website does require definite age verification though, before they'll consider your purchase to be complete and ship the mod. If you buy one, check your email then...for what you need to do to verify your age.
Another point about the origional aegis, geek vape sells (or sold) a 2x700 adapter as well on their website. It’s the only mod I know of that will take basically any battery.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Found out that there's a couple of US sellers with the Innokin iTaste 2.0 SVD with stock available supposedly, and at reasonable prices.

Idea for fans of stick/tube style mods.

I have one of those. Not a bad mod and built like a tank, but it's so ridiculously long that I never take it out of the house. Out of curiosity I looked for them a few weeks ago and couldn't find anyone who still had them in stock.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
For a tube there's always the EHpro 101. 25 mm 510, enough wattage for a mtl setup. I believe the original takes 18650s. There is I believe a Pro version that will accommodate 20x series batteries as well. That it the Nunchaku are reasonable tunes to consider. There's also the new Tesla tube if you like a steampunk look.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I guess there isn't a stock answer like "Just get a provari" used to be, else I'd have have been told that already.

The Aegis TC Box Mod JC linked sounds like it's built to take abuse, so worth serious consideration. Age verification isn't an issue. I'd love it if my biggest problem was "You are too young".

I just had to get a couple of new mods recently for the first time in years and I asked the same question as you.

Don't know if you have your mind set on a mod with replaceable batteries. If not take a look at the Aegis Mini. It has a built in battery and it's also built to take abuse. I've ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet. Drawback is you have to wait for it to charge up which would be a problem if it was your only mod. If you look at it remember you get a 40% discount as soon as you open an account.

Geekvape Aegis Mini Mod 2200 mAh - $45.00

Another good one is the Asmodus Colossal. Solidly built, uses an 18650. Despite its name it's actually quite compact. I got one a few weeks ago and love it. Someone described it as the blue jeans of mods.

asMODus Colossal 80W TC Box Mod | Touch Screen device powered by a single 18650

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Be aware with Geekvape mods, there appears to be an issue with TC mode. Wattage and Voltage modes are unaffected though.
This seems to be true. The one that bit me is apparently the TC on the legend with some metals maxes out at 40w. As a MTL vaper this shouldn’t affect you at all but even the origional ageis is kinda hefty for a MTL mod.
Some provari users with deeper pockets look at the digicodes stuff. It’s got the looks, performance, and reliability. It’s about as expensive as 1 battery VV mods get though. They’ve got internally made everything. Tubes, boards, software. They even do their own wire for extra consistency. They’re German. At least you get quality for money. I do wish it was a bit less money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread