Suggestions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Ok, so I picked vaping back up last month. I know, good timing. Thought I'd stock up on a few of one rda as backups and spare parts, but after trying, several sites that were supposedly in stock, weren't.
I was trying for the recurve dual, but actually liked the OG recurve, which was harder to find than the dual. So my limited resources and research leads me to think the wasp nano, I like a restricted DL draw. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I describe my style as loose MTL/restricted DL. I loved my CaM MantaV2 clones, but the years have consumed 5 of the 6 originals leaving me with NO back up!
When I decided to get a recurve, they had disappeared. (frown emoji)

I tried a Kelpie... Meh on a mech, better on a regulated squonker, it never "leaked", but it is a side-air weeper. such is life.

The biochip clone, however, is almost perfect. Perhaps a bit on the looser side and limited by a small deck, it squonks well and is rather hard to flood. Flavor is good but not amazing, yet.

I could not find the biochip domestically (US/UK/EU), only from China.

HTH
I

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I describe my style as loose MTL/restricted DL. I loved my CaM MantaV2 clones, but the years have consumed 5 of the 6 originals leaving me with NO back up!

I tried a Kelpie... Meh on a mech, better on a regulated squonker, it never "leaked", but it is a side-air weeper. such is life.

The biochip clone, however, is almost perfect. Perhaps a bit on the looser side and limited by a small deck, it squonks well and is rather hard to flood. Flavor is good but not amazing, yet.

HTH
I
It does help. Makes me wonder what happened to your collection. I've always heard a decent rda should be almost as reliable as a tube mech. Only one I've had not "work" anymore is due to a stripped hex head on the one post, and I assumed it was softer metal due to being a clone. Reason I mentioned the wasp is I could pre-order a handful at under 10$ a pop, where as the biochip seems far pricier.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Add in the NarCa RDA clone - it's airier than the Narea. Have a look at the Mass Mods Axial RDA:
    Axial RDA
    It's my hands down favourite. With the dual sided 3 hole airflow it's RDL, with the cyclops airflow full DL. Easy to build and wick, huge well and incredible flavour, even with a 3mm id coil

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Add in the NarCa RDA clone - it's airier than the Narea. Have a look at the Mass Mods Axial RDA:
    Axial RDA
    It's my hands down favourite. With the dual sided 3 hole airflow it's RDL, with the cyclops airflow full DL. Easy to build and wick, huge well and incredible flavour, even with a 3mm id coil
    That axial looks like a good candidate. It can be reduced down to one of the three holes? That's probably about where I like it at it's tightest, at least on the recurve...

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    That axial looks like a good candidate. It can be reduced down to one of the three holes? That's probably about where I like it at it's tightest, at least on the recurve...

Yep, you can vape it with 1 hole either side, 2 holes, or all 3 :thumbs:

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    It does help. Makes me wonder what happened to your collection. I've always heard a decent rda should be almost as reliable as a tube mech. Only one I've had not "work" anymore is due to a stripped hex head on the one post, and I assumed it was softer metal due to being a clone. Reason I mentioned the wasp is I could pre-order a handful at under 10$ a pop, where as the biochip seems far pricier.

The MantaV2 Rda clone modified to BF by CaM/Tom.
    Where to begin. They could not be called China's best work...
    The neg post was pressed into the deck, of the 6, only one had the coil holes parallel to each other. That press fit was the first weak spot.
    The posts themselves could not be called robust and the threading was less so. The grub screws split some of the posts (+&-) and the Neg posts that didn't split would spin when approaching oversnug/FRIM tightening.
    And finally, I had one melt an insulator (NOT PEEK!) when I was using it with a FDV vaping donut.
    Despite the hassle, the flavor and non-leaking keep me squonking happily on regulated, mech and mosfet devices for almost half a decade. :thumbs:

The kelpie and the Biochip are modern designs and far exceed the low clone standard of 2015.

Cheers
    I

• Informative
    Reactions: HigherStateD

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    The MantaV2 Rda clone modified to BF by CaM/Tom.
    Where to begin. They could not be called China's best work...
    The neg post was pressed into the deck, of the 6, only one had the coil holes parallel to each other. That press fit was the first weak spot.
    The posts themselves could not be called robust and the threading was less so. The grub screws split some of the posts (+&-) and the Neg posts that didn't split would spin when approaching oversnug/FRIM tightening.
    And finally, I had one melt an insulator (NOT PEEK!) when I was using it with a FDV vaping donut.
    Despite the hassle, the flavor and non-leaking keep me squonking happily on regulated, mech and mosfet devices for almost half a decade. :thumbs:

The kelpie and the Biochip are modern designs and far exceed the low clone standard of 2015.

Cheers
    I
    Ok, I'm a little less worried now, the clone I had was a rebirth. Loved the deck, afc design, but it felt like it was made for an RTA and just threw an rda together to say they did... If I get a handful of the axial, or wasp, they should be better made, like my wotofo or hellvape authentic ones? I'm just really worried about loosing caps and such, so having backups of the same rda seems like a good idea.

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Ok, I'm a little less worried now, the clone I had was a rebirth. Loved the deck, afc design, but it felt like it was made for an RTA and just threw an rda together to say they did..
    I was really interested in the Rebirth RTA (but not surprised about the RDA) But... if you are ever interested in a RTA, this is the one I want (just noticed they are in stock again... very tempted to jump on that deal):
    Wotofo x Suck My Mod Serpent Elevate 24mm RTA

Aliraonz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2020
    New Zealand

HTH
    I

I was looking at the kelpie, now I'm wondering hmm maybe I shouldn't get one. What is a side air weeper?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    I was really interested in the Rebirth RTA (but not surprised about the RDA) But... if you are ever interested in a RTA, this is the one I want (just noticed they are in stock again... very tempted to jump on that deal):
    Wotofo x Suck My Mod Serpent Elevate 24mm RTA
    Mainly a squonker, don't have any great mech squonker though... Just an athena... The rebirth rta would look good on my godmod overlord clone though... I was always afraid of wicking issues with my vision impairment, but when I tried it on the RBA I bought for the gnome king
    That came with a free ravage 230, the rayon worked first try... The 2.5mm coils were a pita though... On a side note, I'm off to find the RIP mod thread... My very first mod, a topside 90w, shorted out... Hoping it can be zombified into a mech...

ETA: the overlord is how I discovered the recurve... I bought it for looks... Reminds me of a chess piece.
    IMG_20200904_221244.jpg

Last edited:
    • Winner
    Reactions: Aliraonz

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    So it sounds like you are not interested in a RTA... too bad (I would swoop up that Elevate anyway... might change your mind later)
    Glass is just one more thing to break, sure, I could have an artist create one, for 60$ or so, but silicone bottles last far longer. If anything, I might grab a couple more RBA heads for the gnome. It produces surprisingly good flavor... To bad the tank and mod are gold and blue... If I had been vaping that last few months, I'd had a rebirth rta for sure. I wish the rda was the rta deck with a different topper... Would have been a great sq... Maybe 22mm... Reduced chamber, true mtl to wide open, conical chuff cap... Alas, if I had stayed vaping from 2009 on, I'd have probably been designing vapes....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread