Summer heat and carto tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taltos

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Hattiesburg, MS
I also have had this problem with ProTanks. I came to this area to look for threads on this exact problem.

I'm in Arizona so I go from my 80 degree house to my car (it does sit in the sun) which is about 130 degrees or more. It was up to 119 degrees last week and it is always hotter in a car. Just the walk to the car and setting my PV down, starting the car, and praying for faster AC, it gets flooded and won't hit.

I was thinking on the ProTank, it was the aluminum parts expanding from a 40 - 50 degree temperature change. I know it is frustrating as hell. I didn't have these problems with the CE5 clearo's. I was hoping I was the only one but afraid I was not. Looks like my fears came true :(

MasterBlaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Detroit
www.nightstalkerproductions.com
Great topic. I have noticed my cartos flooding and leaking alot more lately since it has been really hot a muggy here in Michigan. Yeah indoors they are fine. It kinda worries me because im going camping in 2 weeks and being outside in the heat for 3 days will probably cause some havok on my tanks. Maybe I'll keep them in a baggy and leave them in the cooler till I use them...

mr_sneed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2009
Oviedo, Fl
I'm wondering if a carto tank with a fill hole on top would fix the heat related flooding issue. You could take out the filling screw to relieve pressure when stepping outside. Anyone try this with a tank like this?

Example:
2-2.jpg

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
I still haven't tested the Boges outside in the heat. However, I'm inclined to think that donesmokin is correct. The dense filler in the Boges would probably hold up better than the thin filler in the Smoks. Unfortunately, for me, I think I'd rather clear out a flooded Smoktech than use the Boge cartos long term. I like an airy draw and the Boges are a bit too restricted for my taste.

TarFreeMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Bellevue, NE
Great topic. I have noticed my cartos flooding and leaking alot more lately since it has been really hot a muggy here in Michigan. Yeah indoors they are fine. It kinda worries me because im going camping in 2 weeks and being outside in the heat for 3 days will probably cause some havok on my tanks. Maybe I'll keep them in a baggy and leave them in the cooler till I use them...

I went camping this past weekend and it was very hot and humid. Didn't leak a drop all weekend other than when I first went from my air conditioned vehicle to the outside. Once I loosened the fill screws on my tanks all was well the rest of the weekend. Was using Ikenvape platinums punched with 2 holes in Texas Tuff Tanks with mostly 70/30 juice.

No leaking problems whatsoever with Cisco atties. Did have a hard time dripping around the fire at night with only one free hand. :toast:

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
I have ibtanked, no filler hole. To release pressure would I just drop the carto down as if I was going to fill before I step out side then once out side for a few seconds push the carto back up? Just wondering if this will help the temperature change situation. What do you guys think?

If it's air pressure causing the issue, I think that would do the trick. For now, I've decided to accept the fact that it's going to flood. So, I bring a paper towel with me and blow out the excess. It's not ideal, but it's good enough to get me back and forth from work.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
If you're using carto tanks or bcc's, and leaving them in a vehicle (Hot weather), I would suggest simply, Store your device upside down. Put them drip tip down in the cup holder. It's harder to force juice out the hole(s) if the holes are not covered in juice. If nothing else, this will reduce the amount of juice being forced out.

Also.. keep napkins ready.. :D

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
If you're using carto tanks or bcc's, and leaving them in a vehicle (Hot weather), I would suggest simply, Store your device upside down. Put them drip tip down in the cup holder. It's harder to force juice out the hole(s) if the holes are not covered in juice. If nothing else, this will reduce the amount of juice being forced out.

Also.. keep napkins ready.. :D

I just figured out this is how to keep my Kanger T3 from leaking in the hot car, and also from the flooding of the coil that was happening chronically as well.

gzin44

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Glasford,Il
It's simple really. If you heat oil in a pan yuo can see what happens when your juice heats up. It gets thinner and the holes in the carto just let it run right in. I have an agr tank like the one pictured above and I tried the loose screw while it was in the heat and that does not work. These tanks are known to leak anyway and the heat makes them alot worse. I make 70/30 juice myself and when I want to stay in the heat with it I grab old faithful (my vivi nova) and use it. There obviuosly is no leak issues with it. i dont think you can pevent the leaking but you can slow it some if you know you will be outside just use a carto with one small hole to slow the fluid. The only problem with this is you may vape heavy and end up with a dry hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread