Superglue question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danieliuxas

Sep 15, 2018
Im new to vaping, I bought a AL85 starter kit, and after week, i dropped it, and all of the supports came off, so i went to my local vape shop and asked if they could fix it, but the warranty is only for the electric part. so i went home and glued all of it together. It works again, but im afraid if its going to explode or something. I dont taste the superglue while vaping. Is it safe to use again or should i toss it in the trash
15369919059602068077931.jpg
153699195827950184009.jpg

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
that battle scar is EPIC brother!!!! so cool. every mod is going to accrue dents scrapes and scratches, even the $300 ones. I love how ya got it going again. 2nd life should be it's nickname.

since that tank doesn't use 510 airflow i'm assuming you aren't tasting glue? as long as the protections are working I can't see how this aesthetical issue would effect your batteries. if it ever fires without hitting the firing button, or if there are ever any signs of electrical issues, that's when it can retire.

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Silicone case if you've got something that fits. I once ran a hot melt glue pattern on an old flip phone. I never gave it a test drop, but at least it quit slipping out of my pocket.

I have a silicone case for my AL85 that's made for it. Bought it on Amazon for $6 or $7.
I got a solid black one, but they come in a lot of colors. You can also choose between textured or smooth.
The texture isn't as pronounced as it looks in the pic. Even has a little alien head on the fire bar, lol.

41l8dn2qhFL._AC_US218_.jpg

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Next time, you can thinly apply the superglue and then sprinkle baking soda on it and the superglue will cure immediately and form a very durable plastic (acrylic) that can be sanded and painted and is chemical resistant.
I've repaired gas cans with it, lol.

Wear gloves when doing so and don't touch it for a couple of minutes. There's an exothermic reaction (heat) taking place.

See, I'm not just a pretty face.
I'se got sum of them thar smarts an stuf. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
If the AL85 is designed similar to the Alien (which I believe is the case) then prepare to be disappointed. There's constant pressure from a spring on the top part due to the design of the 510 and the plastic is thin and low grade.
Best you can do to improve your fix is run a sturdy ribbon of some sort around the top and bottom to hold it together. It'll look like you found it in the trash but at least it won't fall apart on you.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I actually think it looks rather epic, but yeah glue on the exterior of the mod isn't going to hurt anything. It may have slightly shorter (overall life) and some of the ideas for holding it together, but since you are already up and vaping it, well, it should be okay.

For your next mod: The Geekvape Legend. Srsly that mod won't miss a beat when you drop it and there are certainly other, much more durable mods than Smok. I own many of them, I am a clumsy vaper and durability is usually high UP on my list..

Welcome :)

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: mackman

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I think it looks great...I love stuff that's been through hell. However, I'm skeptical of a brand new, out of the box smok product. Add a fall and a mishaped shell, and I'm now concerned. It'll probably be fine...but I hate "probably" when it comes to the power in the cells we use. I'd put it in the trophy case .

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I think it looks great...I love stuff that's been through hell. However, I'm skeptical of a brand new, out of the box smok product. Add a fall and a mishaped shell, and I'm now concerned. It'll probably be fine...but I hate "probably" when it comes to the power in the cells we use. I'd put it in the trophy case .

I agree with your logic, but I'm assuming the OP is probably low on funds or has another reason for wanting to keep using it.

On a side note: Everyone talks about how bad Smok mods are. I've never had a problem with any of mine and I've used a bunch of them in my 8 years of vaping.
But I also have CDO so all my mods still look practically brand new years after I've purchased them.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I agree with your logic, but I'm assuming the OP is probably low on funds or has another reason for wanting to keep using it.

On a side note: Everyone talks about how bad Smok mods are. I've never had a problem with any of mine and I've used a bunch of them in my 8 years of vaping.
But I also have CDO so all my mods still look practically brand new years after I've purchased them.

When you get a good one, they do work well. But the problem is that there is more of a chance to get a bad one than with other companies. If you ask an honest worker at a vape shop, or if you have a friend that works at one and ask them, chances are very good they will say they get more smok products come back than any other brands. This is probably because they focus on quantity over quality.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
When you get a good one, they do work well. But the problem is that there is more of a chance to get a bad one than with other companies. If you ask an honest worker at a vape shop, or if you have a friend that works at one and ask them, chances are very good they will say they get more smok products come back than any other brands. This is probably because they focus on quantity over quality.

Especially as of the last few years.
I bought my last Smok mod about the time they began to produce a new one about every 30 days, lol.
Biggest reason I don't really recommend them anymore is simply because there are better mods available for the same or less money.
Smok used to make decent mods at an economy price. The TF series tanks and the Alien mod turned them into higher priced overhyped mods.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Especially as of the last few years.
I bought my last Smok mod about the time they began to produce a new one about every 30 days, lol.
Biggest reason I don't really recommend them anymore is simply because there are better mods available for the same or less money.
Smok used to make decent mods at an economy price. The TF series tanks and the Alien mod turned them into higher priced overhyped mods.

You are not wrong. They did make some nice stuff. I wouldn't hate it if they went back to their old ways, that would give the new vapers on a budget some more good products to choose from, and you can never have enough of those products around.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
I broke a screw that attaches the top plate on one of my Target Pros. I was able to glue it and hold the top plate tight to the body with rubber bands. It looks and works like new. Love that Gorilla glue. If it works and you don't taste any glue, you should hang on to it. It's a great conversation piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread