Sweeteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCVapes23

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2017
So, I remember a while back people where talking about artificial sweeteners being added into juice,including Sucralose. Was just curious though, with the amount of it in vape juice... is it even harmful? I’d imagine not but I was just curious if there was any studies or anything out there about the sweeteners in juices. Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I did use sucralose for a while, just hard to find the liquid without any additives.
I use stevia which I get as Now Better Stevia, Water, Stevia and Alcohol.

And it's strange, I can't stand the stuff in food or drinks, but in vape it's great, to me.

I use only .5 % And as to harm, who knows... Better than smoking!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I use erythritol now. . In my current recipe I'm using it at .5% (although I've used it anywhere from .25% - 1% before) and I believe it's better tasting than the pyure that i was using before. ..

It's high heat stable and doesn't gunk up your coils like sucralose does..

But no, that I know of there are no specific studies on sweeteners alone, but they've been in ejuice as long as there has been ejuice. Lesser harm than smoking.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I use sucralsose as my primary sweetener. I don't use much though, usually never more than one or two drops per ML. I haven't had coil gunking problems. I'd be interested in trying the Erythiritol solution at some point, but it will have to be when I am willing to order more stuff. I've been hesitant because I know sucralose and how my body does when I ingest it. I've been using sucralose for a while, so I also know it's not something I react to. I imagine I could probably find powdered Erythritol though, and put it in suspension myself, too. So, there's that. But so far, at the rate I use sucralose, I don't run into any problems with it.

Other sweeteners include ethyl maltol, though too much can mute flavors, and some folks use stevia. I don't like the taste of stevia myself and can taste it in the most minute quantities... It's got a bitter after taste that I don't care for.

Ultimately though, sweetener is personal preference and comfort level. I don't really want to switch from sucralose ATM as i know how it works, I enjoy the taste, and I don't need very much of it at all. You may be surprised as you DIY that you find yourself using much less flavor and sweetener than in some mixes. My palate has adjusted and now store bought juice will often taste "sickly sweet" to me. I recently re-taste a store bought brandy that I got early on (it lives in my vape emergency kit). At the time I bought it, I found it slightly bitter, it now tastes very strong and slightly over sweetened to me. So, you can certainly experiment with amount and type of sweetener until you find something you like. Some flavors like cotton candy, marshmallow and merengue often contain ethyl maltol already so you'd want to use those "already sweet" flavors judiciously to layer in some sweetness with some underlying notes, just don't overdo it unless you are selecting one as your primary flavor.

Good luck,

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I've had good luck using marshmallow, meringue, buttercream, pear, or angel cake at .5-1% for mild sweeteners. Just ordered Cap super sweet because I'm not finding anything to make my plain orange blends to pop without adding flavor.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Could you use sugar cane as a sweetener? It grows close to where I live could I squeeze the juice out of it and put a little in my tank?
Don't know if it would be safe, do know you better use a rda only because you won't get a full day out of your wicks.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Could you use sugar cane as a sweetener? It grows close to where I live could I squeeze the juice out of it and put a little in my tank?
That would completely foul your coil in less than a tankful (don't ask me how I know this).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Don't do it. Seriously, sugars will just caramelize on your coil and it will be bad. I know, because I was experimenting with the ALcohHols as well as distilled water to thin my (needing to be max VG) vape. I put the TINIEST amount of wine in one vape. It caremalized on the coil immediately, and not only that, during the time I COULD vape the coil, well, to me it tasted okay, but for some reason made my vape smell like CURRY. It was eerie and disgusting, and I didn't even bother trying vodka or even everclear, I was like "Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww." And went to DW.

I mean, try it, satisfy your curiosity by all means! Just make sure to try your "experiment" with a coil you aren't too attached to, and maybe have some incense nearby to quell the complaints of... the neighbors, and also, have a replacement coil handy and be prepared to wash the hell out of your tank.

Good luck. Have fun in CANE land.... You know large, feral, death snakes live there, right? And seriously, have pity on your neighbors and vape it inside and well....

Do report back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anna

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I did use sucralose for a while, just hard to find the liquid without any additives.
I use stevia which I get as Now Better Stevia, Water, Stevia and Alcohol.

And it's strange, I can't stand the stuff in food or drinks, but in vape it's great, to me.

I use only .5 % And as to harm, who knows... Better than smoking!

I use the same but I use the Glycerite (VG) version. I only use it in fruit dominant recipes. I don't think I have ever bothered putting it in a bakery dominant recipe.

edit to add: I used a ton of stevia in my coffee (like 30 drops per cup, instead of the suggested 5 drops) when keto but gave up all sweetener's (even stevia) when I switched to the zero-carb carnivore way of eating 2 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread