Sweeteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
The healthiest diet in the world is a diabetic diet.

A diabetic has to count both carbs and calories, because you need a certain amount of calories a day in order to maintain a healthy weight (my daughter always had to fight to keep her weight up) but as a diabetic only a certain amount of those calories can come from carbs, as carbs become sugar in your bloodstream and thus affects your blood sugar levels.

When you start counting carbs, you realise just how many things are a carb, bananas counts toward carbs, for instance.

But it's a very ideal diet, and if your having beginning stage problems with your blood sugar then it's something to look into with a nutritionist and your doctor.
I'm not following a diabetic diet per se, but it must be close to it. I have been eating bread, but no more than 4 slices per day. The three things I miss most: Chocolate Twinkies, Quisp cereal, and chocolate and peanut butter soda pop. Pure heaven is what it was... Pure heaven!

Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm not following a diabetic diet per se, but it must be close to it. I have been eating bread, but no more than 4 slices per day. The three things I miss most: Chocolate Twinkies, Quisp cereal, and chocolate and peanut butter soda pop. Pure heaven is what it was... Pure heaven!

Here's the thing about carbs.. your body needs a certain amount of them. But what most people don't do is get the right kinds of carbs.

Beans, whole wheat bread, things like chickpeas, bananas, oatmeal etc. are all carbs, but they are the good type of carbs.

You can use honey instead of table sugar for a simple sugar to sweeten your oatmeal, or fruits as your simple sugars instead of things like added sugar cereals.

You need carbs.. it's just a matter of paying attention to what kinds your getting, and in what quantity your getting them daily.

Denying an occasional treat is bad mentally, but if you limit yourself to one bowl of your favorite sweet cereal once a week, and take an extra walk that day to burn off those extra carbs, it's usually fine. Or trade that one week to indulge in a Twinkie.. and skip the honey on your oatmeal that day too.

Eating healthy can be as much of a mental game as it is a physical one, since total abstinence often leads to binging and that is bad.

So figuring out how to get a nice balance of the good carbs, and working in an occasional treat instead of abstinence, is a net positive.

Working out a diet plan with your doctor and a nutritionist, can help you know how many carbs a day you need as well as calories, and get help with working out a meal plan that would be healthy and good for you, and still allow you to work in the occasional treat.

Even my type one daughter whose pancreas pretty much didn't even work had the rare occasional treat, and she was a candidate for a transplant. .

Last edited:
  • Useful

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I've been eating hummus, bananas and strawberries in oatmeal, though it think the oatmeal shot my glucose up a bit. We're using Stevia in the Raw sweetener, so I'm thinking it might be what's responsible for the spike? We have a ton of raw honey which we get locally. It's very good, but I haven't been using it. btw... I put several drops on my cloned (nicotine free) Unicorn Milk liquid into my oatmeal last night. :)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
since this thread is totally derailed already:

Here's the thing about carbs.. your body needs a certain amount of them.

WRONG

I have been eating zero carb carnivore for a few months and haven't died yet. There are people that have been doing it for decades.

bananas and strawberries in oatmeal,
good grief, if you don't have diabetes yet you will soon

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've been eating hummus, bananas and strawberries in oatmeal, though it think the oatmeal shot my glucose up a bit. We're using Stevia in the Raw sweetener, so I'm thinking it might be what's responsible for the spike? We have a ton of raw honey which we get locally. It's very good, but I haven't been using it. btw... I put several drops on my cloned (nicotine free) Unicorn Milk liquid into my oatmeal last night. :)

Well, my daughter was severe, but her doctors always told her to avoid sugar alcohols.(like the plague). Stevia is a sugar alcohol, so you may want to try the sucrolose route to add sweetener and see if that doesn't help the spikes.

And if your BS is spiking over oatmeal with Stevia, you really do need to talk to your doctor and sit down with a nutritionist. ..

After meals your blood sugar will always raise some and then before snack time it will be a little lower etc. so on and so forth, but it shouldn't spike too high..

I think for you it would be most helpful to talk to your doctor. Everyone is different depending on what their blood sugars do..

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

WRONG

I have been eating zero carb carnivore for a few months and haven't died yet. There are people that have been doing it for decades.

You can speak to any nutritionist and doctor and get the same information about carbs that I gave.. carbs provide energy, there are good carbs and bad and while going to low carbs or no carbs won't kill you, it is not a healthy diet as your starving your body of necessary nutrients.

A doctor might recommend a low carb diet for a short time in order to lose weight fast prior to a necessary surgery, for instance.. but doctors don't recommend you stopping carbs altogether for long periods of time.

That's called FAD dieting, and is not healthy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fozzy71

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Actually honey is almost the same thing as sugar. Just slightly less calories, slightly lower glucemic index. Not good for diabetic diet.

I would agree with you on that.. when I spoke of that I had in my head someone still reasonably healthy that had just been overdoing processed foods and such and just needed healthier options .

I don't believe I fully realized the extent til they said their blood sugars significantly raised after oatmeal with Stevia ...

Definitely time for the doctor and a nutritionist I would say. Once diagnosed diabetic their doctor will set them up with one.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Well, my daughter was severe, but her doctors always told her to avoid sugar alcohols.(like the plague). Stevia is a sugar alcohol, so you may want to try the sucrolose route to add sweetener and see if that doesn't help the spikes.

And if your BS is spiking over oatmeal with Stevia, you really do need to talk to your doctor and sit down with a nutritionist. ..

After meals your blood sugar will always raise some and then before snack time it will be a little lower etc. so on and so forth, but it shouldn't spike too high..

I think for you it would be most helpful to talk to your doctor. Everyone is different depending on what their blood sugars do..
Agreed. I drink green tea with the Stevia, but it's a pretty weak mix. I'll just lay off of it entirely and pickup some Sucralose.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009

WRONG

I did it myself and lost a lot of weight. I think I'm going to start with a 20 (carbs) grams per day tomorrow. I wanted to go into it slowly this time. I'm roughly 50 lbs overweight, and I'm 55 years old.

Yeah... I'll wait until I'm down to my target weight, then add treats like this for a 1 x per week cheat feast. I thought bananas and strawberries were low in the GI, but I see that this is not the case.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I use sucralsose as my primary sweetener. I don't use much though, usually never more than one or two drops per ML. I haven't had coil gunking problems. I'd be interested in trying the Erythiritol solution at some point, but it will have to be when I am willing to order more stuff. I've been hesitant because I know sucralose and how my body does when I ingest it. I've been using sucralose for a while, so I also know it's not something I react to. I imagine I could probably find powdered Erythritol though, and put it in suspension myself, too. So, there's that. But so far, at the rate I use sucralose, I don't run into any problems with it.

Other sweeteners include ethyl maltol, though too much can mute flavors, and some folks use stevia. I don't like the taste of stevia myself and can taste it in the most minute quantities... It's got a bitter after taste that I don't care for.

Ultimately though, sweetener is personal preference and comfort level. I don't really want to switch from sucralose ATM as i know how it works, I enjoy the taste, and I don't need very much of it at all. You may be surprised as you DIY that you find yourself using much less flavor and sweetener than in some mixes. My palate has adjusted and now store bought juice will often taste "sickly sweet" to me. I recently re-taste a store bought brandy that I got early on (it lives in my vape emergency kit). At the time I bought it, I found it slightly bitter, it now tastes very strong and slightly over sweetened to me. So, you can certainly experiment with amount and type of sweetener until you find something you like. Some flavors like cotton candy, marshmallow and merengue often contain ethyl maltol already so you'd want to use those "already sweet" flavors judiciously to layer in some sweetness with some underlying notes, just don't overdo it unless you are selecting one as your primary flavor.

Good luck,

Anna
I’m on Nude Nicotine ordering sweeteners this very moment for the first time ever. I didn’t expect to have so many choices. So this thread is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I did it myself and lost a lot of weight. I think I'm going to start with a 20 (carbs) grams per day tomorrow. I wanted to go into it slowly this time. I'm roughly 50 lbs overweight, and I'm 55 years old.

Yeah... I'll wait until I'm down to my target weight, then add treats like this for a 1 x per week cheat feast. I thought bananas and strawberries were low in the GI, but I see that this is not the case.
Low-carb diet worked excellent for me as I lost almost 40lbs gained after 6 months of surgeries and bed... However, when I started eating carbs again slowly I gained back 10lbs. Carbs are my thing though as I don’t digest well. I have to find my daily intake number that works best for me. I workout a lot but couldn’t have done it without my low-carb lifestyle. Best of luck in your journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread