Status
Not open for further replies.

Harleybarbie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Wonderland
VG mutes flavor in very high VG concentrations (>80%) only right after mixing and takes much longer to steep. But In lower concentrations (<60%) you will notice an increased flavor presence right after mixing. The reason is PG is a better flavor carrier because it helps desolve and disburse the flavor molecules more efficently allowing for quicker distribution within the entire mix. If you let a higher VG mix steep long enough there will not be much of a flavor difference between a higher VG concentration and a higher PG concentration. But you will notice that you will wind up with a sweeter mix because VG has a stronger natural sweetness to it. Much more so then PG.

I do believe this statement...

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You could make your own by super saturating VG with Splenda. Heat your VG, then dissolve Splenda into it until just won't dissolve any more. Filter out the undissolved crystals and bottle. When it cools, it should be practically hazardous material sweet. Worth a try.

I Wouldn't recommend using Splenda to make a DIY Sweetener. Splenda contains a Very Small amount of Sucralose.

Splenda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Health and safety regulation

Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose (D-glucose) and maltodextrin which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of mostly indigestible sucralose. Sucralose is made by replacing three select hydrogen-oxygen groups on sucrose (table sugar) molecules with three chlorine atoms. The tightly bound chlorine atoms create a molecular structure that is remarkably stable.[15] Sucralose itself is recognized as safe to ingest as a diabetic sugar substitute,[16][17] but some Splenda products may contain sugars or other carbohydrates that should be evaluated individually. Research as of 2003 suggested that the amount of sucralose that can be consumed on a daily basis over a person's lifetime without any adverse effects is 15 mg/kg/day,[18] or about 1 g for a 70 kg (150 lb) person. This was revised downward in 2008 to 9 mg/kg/day, or about 0.6 g.[19]

A repeated dose study of sucralose in human subjects concluded that "there is no indication that adverse effects on human health would occur from frequent or long-term exposure to sucralose at the maximum anticipated levels of intake".[20] Conversely, a Duke University study conducted on rats (funded by The Sugar Association[21]) shows that at sucralose consumption levels of 1.1 mg/kg (below the FDA 'safe' level) to 11 mg/kg, throughout a 12-week administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, increased fecal pH, and enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of nutrients and orally administered drugs.[22] These effects have not been observed in humans,[20] and the relevance of this animal study to human health is unknown. The study has been the subject of some controversy, with experts disagreeing over the validity of its conclusions.[23] The other ingredients in Splenda, dextrose and maltodextrin, are listed as generally recognized as safe because of their long history of safe consumption.[24][25]

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Thank you Danny,
I read your blog about steeping also... Nice info on both!

I do have a small ultrasonic cleaner on my watch list on eBay.. It will be my next upcoming purchase...

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Watch what you get on ebay. I hope you read my blog on steeping. Most importantly remember "Penny wise pound foolish" If you buy cheap you get what you pay for.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
You could make your own by super saturating VG with Splenda. Heat your VG, then dissolve Splenda into it until just won't dissolve any more. Filter out the undissolved crystals and bottle. When it cools, it should be practically hazardous material sweet. Worth a try.

Powered splenda is not recommended there are to many impurities in it. You can buy crystal sacarlous and use that. I beleave you can get it at TFA. Others use liquid ezsweet that you can find at walmart.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
You can also add Vanillin. It's usually sold as a 10% solution. I use about 0.5% of that solution in some mixes that I like sweet and lightly vanilla (about a "drop" per ml of liquid.) I also use a greater percentage of VG, and add Sucralose. Too much Sucralose makes my nose run!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread