The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Swine Flu

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by Mary Kay, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mary Kay

Mary Kay ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    I thought we could use this thread to keep up with cases in your county or in my case the next county over.
    Orange Co. has 12 kids out with Swine Flu..in several different schools. Hospitals are beginning to ask people with any symptoms of flu to wear masks in the general waiting areas.

I found this posted:
    State Of Florida

August 12, 2009: Laboratory tests confirm H1N1 Swine Flu deaths in the following:
    • A 33-year-old male in Broward County
    • A 59-year-old female in Miami-Dade County
    • A 73-year-old male in Miami-Dade County
    • A 50-year-old male in Hillsborough County
    • A 36-year-old male in Pinellas County
    • An 18-year-old female in Seminole County
    • A 21-year-old male in Walton County.
    • A 29 year old female in Osceola County
    ORLANDO - There are new confirmed cases of swine flu in Central Florida.
    Among those new cases are a 6-year-old boy in Osceola County, a 7-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy in Brevard County, a 17-year-old girl in Marion County, and a 29-year-old man in Lake County.
    There are now 55 swine flu cases confirmed across the state of Florida. That number is expected to go up because technicians at the Centers for Disease Control clearing a backlog of samples submitted from across the country.

2. Liscab

Liscab Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2009
    Miami fl.
    I am quite sure that I was infected with the S flu(reading the symtoms) but it never last me for more than a week,I am very inmune to any disease, I have never seen a doctor in the last 40 or more years ( I am 51) only dentist, and I never take medicine,

does the PG save me from the S flu?

3. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Liscab..maybe it's your healthy diet! Did you have some Pastelitos de Guayaba and cuban coffee? How about arroyo con pollo?..may be a nice Cuba libra!
    P.G. is supposed to be good for warding off germs..but these are hearty little fella's. Take care!

4. MissVapor

MissVapor Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    My 4 yr old , 2 yr old, and husband just got it..but my 7 yr old daughter and I didn't.. It takes like 2+ weeks to get over it .

it isn't that bad..just like a normal cold..everyone is exagerating it.. my dr said she is getting 10-15 kids a day with it.

5. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    From what I read you are right. But if you have any kind of health problem, like heart problems or copd..it could be fatal. The old and very young are at risk too. I am thrilled it's not bad for your family! That is encouraging news!:D

6. greyeyes

greyeyes Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2009
    Florida
    And pregnant women. On the news about the woman that's in a medically induced coma from the swine flu. They delivered the baby and it's doing fine but nobody knows if she'll pull through or not.

IMO I don't think it's an exageration for those that could die from getting this flu.

7. MissVapor

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    Yeah, I guess it is bad for those with a weaker immune system..didn't mean to make light of it.. my 7 yr old and I started getting a runny nose and we started taking grapefruit seed extract 3 times a day and it went away before getting any other symptoms..

I always keep GSE at home but it works best if you catch a cold with the first sign of symptoms to kill the germs right away before they have a chance to mulitiply..

You can get GSE at any healthfood store.. Use 1 drop per 10lbs of body weight w/ a glass of milk.

8. rocketvapor

rocketvapor Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2009
    Rockledge, FL
    I was riding in an elevator today with 4 guys from work (I didnt know them). One guy mentioned that his wife had called him today and told him that they'd just come from the doctor's office, and that his 2 kids had Swine Flu.

And I'm thinking, Wow, that sucks. Then I'm thinking, And I'm riding in an enclosed space with you??? 8-o

You do get kinda paranoid!

9. MissVapor

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    I called my hubby at work and told him about my 2 yr old having swine flu..his work sent him home for 2 weeks..he went back to work on Monday and is still blowing his nose!

10. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    At least the employers are taking this seriously! We are at 70 people in Florida dead from this flu..granted, we have a large elderly population, but quite a few are children. I would be willing to bet a lot of those kids are not in the best of health to begin with.
    I don't do needles or flu shots, so my best bet is to stay home..a lot! But hubby has a bad heart, he will get shots from the V.A. It's 2 shots this time, a month apart.
    You guys stay safe!

11. rocketvapor

rocketvapor Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2009
    Rockledge, FL
    MK - You're right- if you're not getting the shot, stay away from crowds and carry hand sanitizer. Everything, from shopping cart handles to ATM machine buttons, are potential germ carriers. I'm not normally that germ-paranoid, but if you're not getting the shot, you have to be extra-vigilant.

And good on your hubby for getting his. It's a pain, but better than the flu. Good luck!

12. greyeyes

greyeyes Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2009
    Florida
    I'm such a germ-o-phob I use the hand sanitizer all the time and have two bottles of it in my purse and one in the car. The first thing I do when I let go of the grocery store buggy is use the hand sanitizer, and after I read the menu in a restaurant I use the hand sanitizer....etc. etc.

13. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    I must be one strange person! I don't even worry about the 3 second rule when I drop something! I wash my hands when I cook, or eat..but other then that..unless I get dirty, I have never worried about germs!:p

14. FL-Eagle

FL-Eagle Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    I have been trying to be so careful at work. Being in IT I am at different computers all day, I carry a small bottle of sanitizer in my pocket and I have a mega jug of it on my desk to refill my portable sanitizer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.