Switch from regulated to mech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Gotta agree with all of the above. If you calculate the wattage simply at 4.2V you should be getting around 76 watts. Obviously you are not. Either the mod is dissipating a good portion of the voltage or the battery is struggling and sagging. Regardless, not safe. Something is going to heat up and in this case it will probably not be your coil.

Fightinggoat

Dec 30, 2017
What gauge and what kind of wire are you using?

Also your Mech may be due for a cleaning, take it apart and clean all the threads, contact points, and the switch mechanism, dirt and grime can rob battery power and keep the full voltage from getting to your coils, you need a clean and well adjusted Mech to maximize performance.

Some mechs are better than others in this regard, my manhattan clone is SS hits noticeably softer than any of my other mech tubes with the same battery and atty, had to be due to design or materials, just doesn’t have as much conductivity and has greater voltage drop than say my broadside or smpl mod.

Sounds like a little too much wire mass may be the culprit as well depending on the wire size and type used.

I prefer 2.5mm on my single battery mechs, I get a more responsive vape and less ramp up time. Also, prefer 4/5 wraps over 6/7, again for faster ramp up and a more powerful hit.

My go to simple build for my single battery mechs currently is 4/5 wraps of 24ga Ni80 over a 2.5mm bit, comes out to .17, might be lower than you are comfortable with as its right at the amp limit of most batteries, no issues with mine as I use quality batteries and I know what to look for, if you are unsure of your batteries amp rating I suggest doing some research and getting some Sony, Samsung, or LG batteries for your tube.

You could always use the same build as above with 26ga Ni80 or Kanthal for a little extra resistance to play it safe.

Keep the wire mass low and keep the builds simple and small for best results on a single battery tube Mech.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Also your Mech may be due for a cleaning, take it apart and clean all the threads, contact points, and the switch mechanism, dirt and grime can rob battery power and keep the full voltage from getting to your coils, you need a clean and well adjusted Mech to maximize performance.
Great advice here. I picked a brand new Hades clone and it performed terribly. Ran it through the us cleaner and this orange gunk was left in the water. Works fine now.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It can be extremely difficult to get a satisfactory vape on a single battery mechanical mod if you are used to vaping at a high wattage setting on a regulated mod.

Mech mods are limited to the power (amps) of the battery and the resistance of the coil. You must understand Ohm's Law in order to make this setup work safely.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Recently revised to be even more simple.
Assuming your total resistance is 0.23 ohm, your amp draw from the battery is just over 18 amps and you'll be asking the battery to put out nearly 77 watts. The watt limit of a decent single 20 amp battery is about 60 watts.

If you're using an aftermarket battery (Efest, AWT, MXJO, Imren, et all) it will be less than that.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I run a .23 on my regulated Mod at about 95-110 watts. On my mech im running a .09 or .1 (depending on what RDA). That means Technically i am getting 176.4 watts out of my mech. I know some people that run a .05 on their mech. Im not that ballsy just yet.
"Ballsy"? Give yourself some credit.....it's not "ballsy" running a .05 on a mech. There's far better terms that are more accurate for running a.05 on a mech.

Donald Dennewitz

Apr 9, 2018
No, see how low you can go without blowing up your mod. LOL. Just a thought. :D. Glad you are starting out safely, but mech's aren't a game of "limbo". Heh.

Anna

Oh i know , I wont do stupid. And whenever I try something new I will have someone there with me who knows what they are doing. Ive seen to many videos of stuff blowing up.

• Love
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
On my mech im running a .09 or .1 (depending on what RDA). That means Technically i am getting 176.4 watts out of my mech. I know some people that run a .05 on their mech. Im not that ballsy just yet.
With a single battery mech?

tmimn.gif

Please tell me those numbers are typos. How in the name of Ohm's Law can anyone do that?

Using a 0.09 ohm resistance with a newer high quality 30 amp cdr battery will have an amp draw of over 46 amps. That's 16 amps over the cdr. That is misuse/abuse of the battery.

Using a 0.05 ohm coil with a newer high quality 30 amp cdr battery will have an amp draw of 84 amps. That's 54 amps over the cdr of the battery. That's hardcore abuse of a battery.

Just-because-you-jsskkh.jpg

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
LOL well for me being a newb its ballsy, however I have a couple new unregulated mods that Im gonna be tinkering with here will soon , so maybe lets see how low can I go...LOL
Why see how low you can go? Who are you trying to impress? Call it ballsy if you want, but it's just plain dumb. If your so called experienced friends contribute to this nonsense, find new friends.
What's wrong with trying to find a vape that suits you without ignoring battery capabilities? What a silly path you're choosing.... especially since you've yet to learn anything about using a mech . Vaping gets plenty of bad press as it is....thanks for setting up the next headline. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread