Switching from nickel to titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
As I've been rebuilding my coils (Melo 2 tank, vertical type, using the vaperasso ceramic cartridges that are very well built and easy to take apart and recoil) for a couple of months now, but fiddling around.

I've been using NI200, mostly 28 gauge, with about 17 wraps, I've been in the 0.2 ohm. I've found it easy enough to use, holds it's shape well.

I tried out 30 gauge, getting about the same ohm range with about 12-14 wraps, but the 30 gauge is so flimsy that I found it difficult, being so thin and tends to spring back a lot.

So decided to look at my options and since my mod doesn't do SS, I decided to give TI a try.

At 28 gauge, it's a lot more springy compared to the NI200, similar to the 30 gauge, and a less pliable wire (I find). Rolling at 3.5, it springs out enough to get to about a 4.

So did about 7-8 wraps and getting 0.85 (on the coil I just did), which is fine, but got to admit that the springiness does make it harder to shape and such.

Now, my first impression, settings at 35W, and 460-470F, it's being a bit temperamental, with cool vape at first, then warmth kicking in after a few seconds of a long pull.

Testing it at 45W, 460-470 and it seems a bit better.

But between 460 and 470, the 460 seems to stay cool, while at 470, there's the slow heat then a sudden higher heat change... hard to believe that 10 degrees can make such a difference.

So my question is, is it a case that it needs a while to "break" it in, so that it gets a bit more stable?

It's not that it's bad, but just "odd".

And also, from 0.2 (with the NI200) to the 0.85 with the TI, I don't feel much of a difference... should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread