Switching to Vaping TOMORROW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Ferrara

Feb 20, 2018
Hi all!
So today is my day to trash cigarettes once and for all and make the switch to vaping 100% I’ll admit? I’m nervous...I’ve tried switching a few times in the last and felt like I just couldn’t get into it. More recently I tried slowing transitioning to vaping but it didn’t work at all, found myself having a lot of trouble with the difference inhaling from a cigarette vs my vape. So tomorrow I’m just going to do it and not look back...any advice, encouraging words, etc would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to being a part of this forum and the vaping community as a whole!

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Damn @nicotineisbomb beat me to it....
Oh well, it’s the thought that counts.

Welcome!

Btw, I’m using net ejuice a lot (pretty much all the time)
I vape 11 watts at 12 mg nicotine. You may need more at first.

Gives me the throat hit and I’m not about that direct inhale and big clouds.
More like a cig. I enjoy it so much more though.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Hello and Welcometo ECF Jennifer.
Sounds like going cold turkey is going to work for you.
I did the same. I told myself "this is all that you have from now on".
If you have any questions you there is an entire world of people here to help you 24/7 practically.
Starting an app to keep track of your progress really helps too.
03f5c16556229e72f5cd9ec7efa67c87.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

G-Fog

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2016
Canterbury, New Zealand
Hi @Jennifer Ferrara and welcome.
Unfortunately you don't say what you have tried in the past, however judging by your comment that it did not replicate your smoking experience, maybe you started out on a direct lung hit type of device, as opposed to a mouth to lung (MTL) type. MTL is closer to the way you would draw on a cigarette, so I would suggest you start on this type of device, then it may also be worth starting on a higher nicotine content, maybe 18mg, and see how it goes. A good basic MTL tank would be something like a Nautilus Mini, tried and tested.
All the best in your attempt to quit the stinkies forever.

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2016
Orlando, FL
socialonlinebydesign.com
I went cold turkey, too, over 5 years ago. Some tips: don't focus on your slip ups, but instead focus on how much less you're smoking than before... I had a few slip ups when switching and the best advice I got was that "every cigarette you don't smoke is a success... every one you do smoke is not a failure." Second, drink LOTS of water to help cleanse the tar out of your system quicker. Third, don't be surprised if there's a time period during which you cough more. It's just your lungs clearing all that yucky tar out... it won't last long.

Congrats on your decision to quit! You've got a really supportive forum here to help you through it! :headbang:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I duel used for a couple days, when my pack ran out I told myself that was it and I wasn’t going to buy any more. A year and a half later and I still haven’t. Wishing you all the best tomorrow. Try not to dwell on giving anything up, but on the positives you gain instead.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Welcome to ECF, I dual used on and off for years, before finally returning for my "quit attempt." It was hard, I'm not going to lie, but I'm so happy I did it, and you can too. Just put the other "quits" out of your mind, keep focusing on this one and what you will gain by transitioning completely. If detox is rough, WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid juice) may help you. It contains some of the same alkaloids found in tobacco besides nicotine, they are substances that can be anti-anxiety forming and anti-depressant as well. So, expect a bit of the quitting blues but they pass. If you continue having trouble, I'd suggest looking into WTA to see if it can help you transition. Best of luck this time around and welcome to ECF!

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You can make it Jennifer !

Keep Telling yourself your Doing This because you Don't Want to Smoke. And want to live a Better Life.

Stay Busy. Drink a lot of water. Chew Gum. And if it seems like the World is starting to cave in around you, take a Short Walk or Call a Friend.

And Just take it One Day at a Time. Don't worry about Tomorrow. Or how things are going to be Next Week. Just concentrate on Today.

:)

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Good luck! There is a lot of good advice on this thread. Just want to reiterate - make sure you have enough nicotine in your liquid. I started at 24mg and honestly never experienced severe physical cravings. Drink lots of water. Most importantly, keep vaping even if you smoke again. I have concentrated more on acquiring a solid vaping habit rather than getting rid of my smoking habit and that has worked for me.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all!
So today is my day to trash cigarettes once and for all and make the switch to vaping 100% I’ll admit? I’m nervous...I’ve tried switching a few times in the last and felt like I just couldn’t get into it. More recently I tried slowing transitioning to vaping but it didn’t work at all, found myself having a lot of trouble with the difference inhaling from a cigarette vs my vape. So tomorrow I’m just going to do it and not look back...any advice, encouraging words, etc would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to being a part of this forum and the vaping community as a whole!
Welcome and glad you joined.
When I smoked, it was all about relieving my craving for nicotine. Could go to a B&M vape shop and test some flavors until you find a few you like. Get them with enough nic to satisfy the craving and you should be on your way. I looked for two things when I first started, nic and flavor gratification. If you fail, no big deal, just keep trying until you find the right flavor/nic combination. Any time you spend vaping instead of smoking, is win situation.
Could check out:
Guide: The Beginners Guide to Vaping | onVaping

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I dual used during my first week. I knew from past experiences that I'd most likely have strong cravings for a cigarette.

I allowed myself to vape as much and as frequently as I desired. If I felt a cig craving, I vaped more. If that didn't help, I allowed myself to smoke HALF of a cigarette, and saved the rest for the next strong craving. Turned out that I smoked 4 whole cigarettes per day.

As the week wore on, I found myself to depend upon the cigarettes less and less. When the pack was finished, I vowed to never buy another pack.

The cravings are more than the desire for nicotine (you're getting that with your e-cig). Cigarette smoke has hundreds of toxic chemicals which your body is also addicted to and also craves when absent. Should take at least a week to detox from those chemicals.

I was a 35+ year smoker and never thought that I would be able to quit. Nicotine gum/lozenges/patches, prescription meds, and hypnosis all failed me. Vaping helped me to finally become tobacco-free, but I still had to be DETERMINED TO QUIT. Why vaping helped me quit:

Vaping replaced my physical dependence on nicotine via a safer nicotine delivery device. No combustion, no tobacco.

Vaping replicated the behavioral "hand-to-mouth routine that was so ingrained into my habit.

Vaping replicated the act of "inhaling and exhaling" a physical substance, which was also ingrained into my habit.
Those other so-called aids to help stop smoking didn't touch all three factors.

Other tips:

For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are generally determined by how much you smoked, and are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg

Figure on consuming at least 3 - 5 ml of liquid daily. Bottles are usually 10 or 30 ml volume.

Tips for Novices Seeking Tobacco/Cigarette Flavors

A Word on Vaping Technique

Smoking vs Vaping Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread