Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Happy New Year to all dog lovers! :D

712VNQvYFZL._SX425_.jpg

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Happy new year!

I swapped out the o-rings on my SXK Doggy. I think the originals were nitrile (buna 70) and I replaced them with silicone. With the original o-rings, the air flow was sometimes getting stuck closed off--not something you want to mess with during a break in freezing cold weather. Now the air flow adjustment ring moves smoothly and consistently even when dry.

o-ring sizes
16x18x1 (air flow and deck)
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3057/10006772/9651371
8x10x1 (chimney)
6x8x1 (stock drip trip from SXK -- I don't use it but I measured anyway)

One of my doggys - my fave sjmy has an airflow ring that is so tight, I have to use a screwdriver to adjust the airflow ;)

The rest of my doggys have spinners though

Might be worth trying a silicone o-ring on the tight SJMY.

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Happy new year!

I swapped out the o-rings on my SXK Doggy. I think the originals were nitrile (buna 70) and I replaced them with silicone. With the original o-rings, the air flow was sometimes getting stuck closed off--not something you want to mess with during a break in freezing cold weather. Now the air flow adjustment ring moves smoothly and consistently even when dry.

o-ring sizes
    16x18x1 (air flow and deck)
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/3057/10006772/9651371
    8x10x1 (chimney)
    6x8x1 (stock drip trip from SXK -- I don't use it but I measured anyway)

Might be worth trying a silicone o-ring on the tight SJMY.

Yeah, I bought that exact pack of o-rings with some other extra doggy stuff a while ago. I'll try 'em out :)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm hoping there s some of us doggy lovers left ;)

Anyway me again with yet another newbie question :rolleyes:

What the easiest way to remove the chamber and top screw thingy? I want to swap an acrylic tank for a replacement clear PC one.

This is for the 2k16 old-school doggy :wub:

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018

What the easiest way to remove the chamber and top screw thingy? I want to swap an acrylic tank for a replacement clear PC one.

I asked a similar question a while back. Mine wouldn't budge at all. Some said they used pliers. I ended up just forgetting about it and then one day it fell off on its own when I was cleaning it--haha! Aside from the chimney, there's nothing holding it on the tank. It just fits snuggly.

If yours doesn't come apart easily with some gentle coaxing, then you might use a pliers. If you are worried about scuffing, then you could put a cloth napkin over the pliers jaws.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL

I haven't actually removed one yet. But I do have one a little loose, and been meaning to tighten it. The chimney has a little waggle to it. And oddly - it still doesn't leak!

But early on, I did see a good idea for unscrewing the chimney without damaging it. Push a rag firmly into the chimney end, and then leave the drip tip in, and unscrew from the top. If it's really tight, you may need pliers with a rubber grippy thing on the top piece. But using the rag in the chimney end grabs the slots without damaging it, like a coin or something might.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
    The tops actually come off easily enough (I strip all my new tanks right down on arrival to remove any remaining machine oil, especially those from china). I just use pliers to grip the chimney and hold the tank firmly at the top (a little strip of that non slip rubber easy grip netting material is ideal to hold the tank with if you have some handy). Use just a tiny bit of gentle force with the pliers to twist and it unscrews anti-clockwise no problem.

As for still using the Doggy, I just haven't found anything to beat it yet. Someone here hit the nail on the head in a previous comment, in that the Doggy simply delivers a high quality vape at low watts even when the airflow is severely restricted, and for me, this is still unmatched in any other modern tank. The Kayfun Mini v3 and Ubertoot UTA2 were very similar in this respect, but the Doggy nailed it.

I have a Coppervape Spica Pro coming this week as I have read so many glowing reports for it, but having tried so many I'm honestly at the point where I don't expect anything to beat the Doggy now. It doesn't stop my looking/hoping though :)

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
    Which Doggy are you using, if I may ask? SXK? SMJY?

I'm using the SXK (14 of them at last count, 6 working daily with different NET tobaccos). Whilst I have never tried the SMJY version I'm sure the inner airflow would be too much for my restricted style of vaping.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    As for still using the Doggy, I just haven't found anything to beat it yet. Someone here hit the nail on the head in a previous comment, in that the Doggy simply delivers a high quality vape at low watts even when the airflow is severely restricted, and for me, this is still unmatched in any other modern tank. The Kayfun Mini v3 and Ubertoot UTA2 were very similar in this respect, but the Doggy nailed it.
    You haven't tried this one. Doggy lover thru and thru here, and True is just better...by a good bit.
    Calling all Dog lovers - The Ehpro True MTL RTA

Here's what Vic has to say about it...."Best MTL tank of 2018, f-ing phenominal flavor." And it has top fill and a real afc ring.

Last edited:

Rockford

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2018
    BC Canada
    I have to admit, the simplicity of the doggy with it's smooth and quiet air flow, easy build deck and great flavour make it one of my top 3 right now. I have it in rotation along with my very sweet berserker mini and the EHPro True and they are all really good mtl tanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread