T-Priv Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenmods

Dec 11, 2017
Does anyone know how to fix the problem of a smok T-Priv 220 not turning on without being plugged in?

I’ve been using the T-priv for a while now (yes I know about the problems with smok but I saw it and couldn’t resist) and one day it would not turn on. I plugged it in and tried again and it finally worked. After that, you can unplug and use it as you normally would but once it turns off you have to plug it in to start it back up. I tried different tanks and batteries but I can’t seem to find the problem. While there may be an internal
problem, I don’t know enough to take it apart and find it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Reactions: stols001

AminyWin

Multiple ID Suspension
Dec 7, 2017
China
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
First, sorry for taking this to a very basic level.

I don't have the T-Priv, but have a G-Priv which should operate the same. I tested my theory with it and here is what I found..... When the mod is off, I plugged it into the cable which turned it on. Once it was on by plugging it in, I unplugged it and it stayed on until 5 quick clicks turned it off. Perhaps your 5 clicks to turn it on (while not plugged in) are not being done quickly enough to turn it on?

More importantly:

I have no idea what batteries you are using. I am not familiar with any 18650 battery that does anywhere near 6800 mah and if anywhere near that, the amps would have to be very, very low which may be causing it not to turn on. Those may be flashlight batteries that are not fit for vaping. Please consider not using them in the T-Priv and get some authentic batteries (Sony, Samsung, LG) for your mod.

Perhaps somebody (@Baditude) more knowledgeable in batteries can give a better opinion, but I would take them out of the mod immediately until confirmation can be made.

ETA: A quick search did not reveal any amp ratings, but the LiCB web site states "for flashlight LED light."

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am using LiCB 18650 6800mAh 3.7V batteries and I use the external charger to charge the batteries.
18650 batteries:

...there are none with a true continuous amp rating over 30A.

...there are none rated at 3000mAh with a true continuous rating over 20A.

...there are none rated over-3000mAh with a true continuous rating over 10A.

...pulse or battery company "max" ratings are useless and can't be used to compare batteries.
If none of that makes any sense, you need to increase your battery knowledge.

psb%20(30)-500x500.jpg

You are using the wrong type of batteries. Using the right chemistry batteries in a personal vaporizer is extremely important.

The "LiCB" likely stands for Lithium Cobalt. Notice the chemistry type as ICR (lithium cobalt round). These are designed for low drain applications such as portable radios and flashlights. Although they often have higher capacity ratings (mah), their amp rating (typically under 4 amps) is insufficient for mod usage.

When choosing batteries for a vaping mod, the amp rating is more important than the mah capacity rating.

You need to use IMR or INR chemistry batteries in your mod, which are considered high drain. Although their mah capacity rating is in comparison lower than ICR, their amp rating (continuous discharge rating) is superior to ICR. IMR and INR chemistry batteries typically have an amp rating of 10 - 30 amps, thus they are high drain.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Please read the above articles. Then purchase one of the below 18650 INR batteries.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You need to take this battery stuff seriously. You've been given the information, before you were uninformed.

You are now informed. Only YOU can decide if you are teachable or not. I so hope you are, for your sake.

Best of luck, please do not pass go, do not collect $200, and buy some batteries that are safe.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks @Baditude ! I was concerned about the batteries stated, but unsure just how unsafe using them in a T-Priv could be. I hope @Goldenmods returns to take note!
Probably not an issue of safety in a regulated mod. More an issue of poor performance.

There is also a possibility that there is a defect of the mod itself, since it seems to work if reset with the USB charging cord plugged in. Regardless, he is using the wrong type of batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread