Taifun GT Discusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetTides

Sep 28, 2013
Hawaii
My first "true" rba and I don't regret it a bit...no sir. $$.. Best build yet : microcoil w/ 7 wraps, 28 Gauge (1.3 Ohm) with organic hemp/cotton yarn

I suspect they are getting it from here ...ordered six rolls and some ss mesh :banana: Not a dry hit or drip yet...

rbqUOOXh.jpg

X1P1o9zh.jpg

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
My first "true" rba and I don't regret it a bit...no sir. $$.. Best build yet : microcoil w/ 7 wraps, 28 Gauge (1.3 Ohm) with organic hemp/cotton yarn

I suspect they are getting it from here ...ordered six rolls and some ss mesh :banana: Not a dry hit or drip yet...

rbqUOOXh.jpg

X1P1o9zh.jpg

Looks good, although I cut my wicks a lot shorter. I trim them just a couple mm beyond the side of the chamber.

SweetTides

Sep 28, 2013
Hawaii
Looks good, although I cut my wicks a lot shorter. I trim them just a couple mm beyond the side of the chamber.

Thanks! I have some strong menthol in there "Arctic Wolf", so I am using the Stainless Steel cover to prevent the plastic one from cracking. My thought was if the juice is running low, since I can't visually see the level, leaving my wicks long will help soak it from the bottom, but this is just a theory. The tank reservoir is so large I'm not sure if I will ever get to know if this would work. I always just top off the next day.

SweetTides

Sep 28, 2013
Hawaii
For some reason I was getting a bit of flooding when I built a microcoil using a 5/64 drill bit and cotton. My guess is, I didn't have enough cotton plugging the chamber holes. Anyone else experience that?

I never went that small, I tried a 1/8 which I found to be too big (also leaked) and then went down to the 5/64 bit. I used what i think is about 2mm cotton yarn and doubled up so four strands sticking out each end = 8mm worth of cotton. Stays really juicey and vapes well. I think this thing is just a bit fussy. try blowing through it every time you set it up, wipe, and then see if it leaks more after that. If it does I add more wick, and if that doesn't work I try a new size. hope that helps.

Last edited:

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana
First build on the GT:

1.8 micro coil w/ single strand of SnC yarn

==Leaked!

1.8 micro coil w/ single stand of SnC yarn w/ another single strand laid on top

==Leaked!

Wick thickness is obviously the key. If I run too thick on the micro it won't feed as well(restriction).

Thinkin of going with the standard cotton balls for the next build.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
For some reason I was getting a bit of flooding when I built a microcoil using a 5/64 drill bit and cotton. My guess is, I didn't have enough cotton plugging the chamber holes. Anyone else experience that?

I ise a 1/16 dia. micro coil in both of mine, with cotton wicks from sterile cotton balls. I don't twist the cotton very tight. Leave it 'fluffy' at the ends. Use just enough cotton so that you feel some slight resistance when pulling it through the coil. Trim the cotton off about 2mm from the side of the chamber. I get absolutely no leaking this way.

Alchemy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2013
SoCal
Finally got my Taifun GT today:) My first build was a success well mostly a success only problem I had was using too much cotton in the coil. Wow this thing vapes like a champ i'm getting the flavor I thought was only possible from dripping.
It looks great on my Stainless Steel Just GG and my GV M16. I'm really impressed with this thing so far thought I would share. BTW I'm using .8 micro coil with cotton and a piece of 1.5mm eckowool to prevent flooding.:D

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana
Finally got my Taifun GT today:) My first build was a success well mostly a success only problem I had was using too much cotton in the coil. Wow this thing vapes like a champ i'm getting the flavor I thought was only possible from dripping.
It looks great on my Stainless Steel Just GG and my GV M16. I'm really impressed with this thing so far thought I would share. BTW I'm using .8 micro coil with cotton and a piece of 1.5mm eckowool to prevent flooding.:D

How did you set up your wick? Let's get some specifics. When you say cotton AND ekowool, how did you run them?

Alchemy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2013
SoCal
How did you set up your wick? Let's get some specifics. When you say cotton AND ekowool, how did you run them?
I used approximately 5 wraps of 28ga kanthal around a 2mm precision screwdriver and I used one piece of 1.5mm eckowool on top to prevent flooding I ran the coil just standard vertical and ran the cotton through it with the eckowool sitting on top. I cut the eckowool so it was just barely in the wick channels.:)

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana
I used approximately 5 wraps of 28ga kanthal around a 2mm precision screwdriver and I used one piece of 1.5mm eckowool on top to prevent flooding I ran the coil just standard vertical and ran the cotton through it with the eckowool sitting on top. I cut the eckowool so it was just barely in the wick channels.:)

Thanks Al. I just received my supply of silica, so maybe I will attempt that style. I know my first build resulted in massive flooding, but I was only using cotton. Obviously the holes weren't plugged enough just using enough cotton to run through 1/16" micro coil. I also laid a piece of cotton on top of the setup to fill the holes, but it jus wasn't enough. Perhaps the rope will provide enough filler for that problem.

Alchemy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2013
SoCal
Thanks Al. I just received my supply of silica, so maybe I will attempt that style. I know my first build resulted in massive flooding, but I was only using cotton. Obviously the holes weren't plugged enough just using enough cotton to run through 1/16" micro coil. I also laid a piece of cotton on top of the setup to fill the holes, but it jus wasn't enough. Perhaps the rope will provide enough filler for that problem.
I think the trick to bottom coil devices like this is to completely fill up those wick channels without cutting off the circulation to the coils so not too much wick and not too little.

SweetTides

Sep 28, 2013
Hawaii
Got the SS mesh in today and I think my wife has officially lost hope. First round mesh success. Used 45mm piece of 400 with 28 gauge Kanthal, had to remake the coils from the cotton builds I had so the mesh would not make contact with the screws, probably better that direction anyway. Came out to 1.3 Ohm with seven wraps as before. N̶o̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶.̶ Oxidized and folded mesh as flat as I could, and when I was done I shoved a needle through the center and rolled it around my fingers (needle inside) for about five minutes each wick, to make as round and wide and close to my coil size as possible. sits in the bottom base flush, still loose until the top cap comes down, then its snug and slightly crushed with no gaps. I also poked the outer bits with the needle and spread them out as much as possible (not much) I used a 2.25mm crochet hook to make my coils this time, no drill bit. They did not come out as tight but this was a good thing as it was easier to roll the mesh through and trim it down, it took several times to get that size just right with scissors.

***I found the crochet hook or a drill bit too is great to shove through the coil in the tank after tightening down/securing one screw and then raising the wall before tightening down the other side to estimate the exact height for your mesh***

The taste is really great but to me it is not better than the cotton. I think the hemp/cotton I have is totally on par with mesh taste wise but maybe its just the juices I have going att. The mesh advantage for me I see is trying new flavors on the fly and not having to change it as much/ever. After awhile I think I will change one back to cotton for my ADV and keep mesh on the other for my new flavors or when Im sick of something and want to change it out....

So glad that Pbusardo posted his review after they sent him one and I found the posts written first by Fury83 of this forum here after watching. (Big thanks to both) Otherwise I don't think I would have known this existed, that it would be any good, or that you get what you pay for... (although I am looking hard at the $20 kayfun replica lol) couldn't be happier. :vapor:

RLlWKnPh.jpg

First one (one on bottom came out prettier) both hit great anyway.
lC3nzsjh.jpg

rJ9FHrTh.jpg

N̶O̶T̶ ̶A̶ ̶D̶R̶I̶P̶

*Update, drove to work this morning with it in my pocket, developed a gurgle...tried to fight through it by blowing backwards....No. Had to unscrew from TANK and blow out and now its 100% again. (No sideways transport I guess which was no problem with cotton...dern)

*2nd update. it was all a dream....LEAKS.... Disappointed.

Last edited:

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
I had a problem trying to replace the airflow tube. When I pulled it up the white plastic came out and I managed to completely destroy it :facepalm: I'm wondering if I can get a new one in the maintenance kit? Any help is much appreciated.

Yeah the maintenance kit has replacement plastic tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread