Status
Not open for further replies.

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
So I've decided that it's time to start taking the Rebuildables out with me as I roam the earth.

I already have a little pouch to keep my clippers, mini-screw driver and needle-nose pliers, etc in. Been taking juice along for a long time, so that's covered. Taking cotton is an easy no brainer.

I've wrapped up 4 pretty little micro coils (hopefully none of them will be needed). Gotta take along pre-wrapped coils, as I'm certain TSA would greatly frown upon a butane torch. Been scratching my head a bit, as to what the best way to transport and store these things would be. I'm thinking about using one of those plastic battery boxes that hold 2 18650's.

What other ways do people accomplish this? I can always rely on the ingenuity of the folks here to come up something that's just awesome! Thanks in advance for the replies ;)

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
Listening to these has me thinking twice about taking the rebuildables out with me.

I didn't mention, that I'm usually gone 10-14 days at a time. I don't think carrying a torch with is possible, and buying a new one every two weeks defeats the purpose.

Maybe I should keep using the aspires when traveling and keep the rebuild stuff at home?

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
I travel a lot for work, so I too have been wondering what is the best way to bring my RBA's with me....

As of right now, I have relegated my iTaste VTR to 'travel duty', and use my Protanks & Davides on the road. Still, I think I would like to start bringing stuff with me to rebuild coils.....It would be nice to vape my Kayfuns & Taifun on the road....

I was thinking; have you guys ever seen those little boxes that they keep circuit board chips in? I work with EPROM chips a lot at work, and they come in these neat little cardboard boxes with foam padding inside that the legs of the chip stick into...I think one of those would work excellent for bringing pre-made coils on the road with me....you could stick the legs of your coils into the foam padding.....if I find a link for these boxes I will post it here...

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
I agree with Watt, I would just keep a few of them stacked on a blunt needle or whatever was used to wrap with.

However, this is what got my attention: "I'm certain TSA would greatly frown upon a butane torch"

a simple bic lighter would do the trick, why not keep the butane torch at home, bring some wire and a small lighter? or even a small torch lighter?

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
I agree with Watt, I would just keep a few of them stacked on a blunt needle or whatever was used to wrap with.

However, this is what got my attention: "I'm certain TSA would greatly frown upon a butane torch"

a simple bic lighter would do the trick, why not keep the butane torch at home, bring some wire and a small lighter? or even a small torch lighter?

All great points and observations!

As far as the butane torch lighter goes, I had TSA "graciously accept my donation" of a really nice Ronson butane lighter I would use for stogies about 6 months ago in Seattle. It had been riding along in my backpack unused for at least a year without being nabbed previously. Honestly, I'd forgotten it was even in there. Learned that lesson painfully ;)

While it's true that a regular old Bic will do the trick, I've found that they tend to leave a residue on the wire that I'm just not a fan of.

I'm going to try fitting a few pre-wrapped heaters to a drill and see how well that goes! I'll attach pics when I'm done.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
A well built coil can easily last 2 weeks with regular dry burns. A well built microcoil can last months, and cotton can be bought virtually anywhere. The only time you really have to worry about popping a coil is when using stainless steel mesh, but as long as you set it up right to begin with, this shouldn't be an issue when out and about (I've only ever popped coils when pulsing right after being freshly wrapped). If a hotspot reappears after use, or when dry burning, it usually doesn't pop. You just adjust as normal.

As long as you're confident with your rebuilds, and you know how to clean them, carrying extra coils shouldn't be an absolute necessity. When I travel up to Massachusetts, about once a month for no more than a week, I normally bring one mod and two RBA's (at least one tank for the drive), but no rebuild supplies (maybe just a keychain screwdriver if I need to tighten down a screw somewhere). I do, however, pack plenty of juice!

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Rob, coils rarely go bad. If it vapes right and is short free when you build it, your prolly gonna be good to go.

I've never had a micro coil fail and I've left em on for a month or more.

Now cotton is something you may wanna take if your juice gunks it up.

I'd also recommend a spare completely built RBA and DT in each vehicle you roll in. Then your covered :)

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
If you're bringing a blunt needle then you don't need a torch. Cut a notch on the plastic end of the needle. Then secure your wire with that notch. You can put as much tension as you want, eliminating the need for a torch. Here's a pic:
IMAG0215.jpg

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
Rob, coils rarely go bad. If it vapes right and is short free when you build it, your prolly gonna be good to go.

I'd also recommend a spare completely built RBA and DT in each vehicle you roll in. Then your covered :)

Thanks for the insight sXd! That's a lot of what I think I've been needing to hear...

I guess I'm more concerned about being draggin aYsss tired or half-in-the-bag (or both), needing to re-wick and trashing a perfectly good coil in the process. Don't matter how many coils I had at that point, I couldn't fix stupid ;)

If you're bringing a blunt needle then you don't need a torch. Cut a notch on the plastic end of the needle. Then secure your wire with that notch. You can put as much tension as you want, eliminating the need for a torch. Here's a pic:
View attachment 307190

Cool idea scrappy! Might give that a try too!

You guys ARE awesome!

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
So I've decided that it's time to start taking the Rebuildables out with me as I roam the earth.

I already have a little pouch to keep my clippers, mini-screw driver and needle-nose pliers, etc in. Been taking juice along for a long time, so that's covered. Taking cotton is an easy no brainer.

I've wrapped up 4 pretty little micro coils (hopefully none of them will be needed). Gotta take along pre-wrapped coils, as I'm certain TSA would greatly frown upon a butane torch. Been scratching my head a bit, as to what the best way to transport and store these things would be. I'm thinking about using one of those plastic battery boxes that hold 2 18650's.

What other ways do people accomplish this? I can always rely on the ingenuity of the folks here to come up something that's just awesome! Thanks in advance for the replies ;)

I use one of these for all my rebuildable stuffs: Vaultz Storage Case I paid less than that link, but I did get it from Amazon. Works great, stick everything in there I need (wire, cotton, torch, clippers, syringes, tweezers, 510/510 adapters, extra drip tips, ohm meter for rebuilding, even extra juice!) I take it when traveling on road trips and to work with me.

Yes, TSA (or equivalent) will frown on the torch. Just buy a cheap lighter when you get to where you are going. IMO, no need to pre-wrap coils to take with, more of a PITA IMO.

Storing and transporting spare pre-built coils could be tricky...

Maybe something foam, or line the inside of a small case with sponge? Retaining the integrity of their shape - even if they are 'contact-coils' - might prove difficult.

Even though I think it's more of a PITA to transport pre made coils, something like this might suit your needs.

Listening to these has me thinking twice about taking the rebuildables out with me.

I didn't mention, that I'm usually gone 10-14 days at a time. I don't think carrying a torch with is possible, and buying a new one every two weeks defeats the purpose.

Maybe I should keep using the aspires when traveling and keep the rebuild stuff at home?

HECK NO!!! As others have said, if you do a good micro coil, it will easily hold for WAY longer than 10-14 days. If you are like me, and like to have multiple builds for multiple flavors at the same time, then you'll definitely be good to go.

a simple cheap butane lighter (read, refillable, not a bic) would do the trick, why not keep the butane torch at home, bring some wire and a small lighter? or even a small torch lighter?

Yup, keep the torch at home, buy a cheap lighter.

All great points and observations!

As far as the butane torch lighter goes, I had TSA "graciously accept my donation" of a really nice Ronson butane lighter I would use for stogies about 6 months ago in Seattle. It had been riding along in my backpack unused for at least a year without being nabbed previously. Honestly, I'd forgotten it was even in there. Learned that lesson painfully ;)

While it's true that a regular old Bic will do the trick, I've found that they tend to leave a residue on the wire that I'm just not a fan of.

I'm going to try fitting a few pre-wrapped heaters to a drill and see how well that goes! I'll attach pics when I'm done.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Residue? You can torch, then wipe it down, then wrap. After that, mount and dry burn the coil. Shouldn't be anything left on the wire.

A well built coil can easily last 2 weeks with regular dry burns. A well built microcoil can last months, and cotton can be bought virtually anywhere. The only time you really have to worry about popping a coil is when using stainless steel mesh, but as long as you set it up right to begin with, this shouldn't be an issue when out and about (I've only ever popped coils when pulsing right after being freshly wrapped). If a hotspot reappears after use, or when dry burning, it usually doesn't pop. You just adjust as normal.

As long as you're confident with your rebuilds, and you know how to clean them, carrying extra coils shouldn't be an absolute necessity. When I travel up to Massachusetts, about once a month for no more than a week, I normally bring one mod and two RBA's (at least one tank for the drive), but no rebuild supplies (maybe just a keychain screwdriver if I need to tighten down a screw somewhere). I do, however, pack plenty of juice!

What that guy said, but I'd add in extra cotton (if that is what you are using), tweezers (to recompress the micro if you jack it up any), and nail clippers to trim the cotton wick.

Super is absolutely right IMO. A well built coil rarely ever goes bad. You shouldn't have to worry if you built it right the first time. Pratice a lot, get good confidence in your coil building techniques, and then rock a pair of RBA's ready to go. You'll be fine IMO.

Whew! Multi-quote ...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread