The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Taps and Dies For 901-801-510-4xx

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by Cisco, Aug 4, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cisco

Cisco Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 13, 2009
    NY, State of denial

That material is .014 wall thickness, that's less then 1/64" of an inch, how are you even threading that? I would love to see a sample picture

The problem with brass tubes, in the diameter that you need, have a very thin wall, brass rod is a better candidate but needs to be drilled out also.

Cisco...

2. muldrick

muldrick Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Ya' I got this Friday, Friday evening I messed with it and I got it threaded, I was like "awesome"!!!. Threaded like 2" of it.
    Today I get back to it and I'l darned if I can get it threaded again, even when tapering it down. It start, goes a little, then brakes. (Not sure if I burred the die???)
    It even broke the part that I originally threaded Friday night.

We need a tad smaller tube, but where can we get it?

EDIT: Oh wait, you're saying to use a metal, steel tube?

3. sio2

sio2 Full Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Brooklyn
    No, I believe what Cisco is saying is that the wall thickness of the tube is far too thin to thread correctly. I didn't even look at the link until just now. It is no wonder you are having trouble with threading this. The depth of the thread is probably more than the thickness of the wall of the tube you are cutting into.

Try using a solid rod, instead of a tube. It should make very little difference whether you use a 5/16" rod or an 8 mm rod. 5/16" rod is actually .002" smaller than 8mm (.002 is about half the width of a human hair). Brass will be far better to use than steel (machines easier, and you can solder to it).

4. muldrick

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Oh, and then drill a hole down the center? (still confused)
    Laredo7mm was talking about how he used tubes to cut into. (here, post #22.)
    Cisco said "alloy 260 or 330 Brass" in the same thread.
    (It would be much easier to use a tube)

ADD/EDIT: I used a 5/16 brake line from Autozone. It works

5. Cisco

Apr 13, 2009
    NY, State of denial

Hey muldrick,

Not sure if the tube that Laredo used was brass or not. Here is a link to some brass tube that has the correct O.D. .3125 to thread for a 901 and also has a much thicker wall .042 then the brass you used which was .014. Its a very close match to the dimensions on a standard connector.

Order Brass Brass Tube in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

Here is another that should work for a 510 and also an 801 connector. This also has a nice thick wall .065. The inside diameter is a little to small for the 510 and the outside diameter is a little to big for a 801 but shouldn't be enough of a difference to cause a problem.

Order Brass Brass Tube in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

I haven't threaded these myself so I cant guarantee they will work. maybe I will pick up a few pieces and check them out.

Cisco...

6. mp166

mp166 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2009
    london
    For UK folks try googling Traceytools, they do good selection taps and dies

7. Cisco

Apr 13, 2009
    NY, State of denial
    Good call mp166, cant forget the UK members...:)

Cisco...

8. Cisco

Apr 13, 2009
    NY, State of denial
    moved post to main area

9. muldrick

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    I used a 5/16 brake line from Autozone. It works good for the 901.
    Now, what size tube for the 801 atty?

10. Cisco

Apr 13, 2009
    NY, State of denial
  11. muldrick

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Doh! :oops:, Errr...let me put my glasses on.
    Thanks Cisco.

12. seadooman

seadooman Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2009
    socal
    Anyone Know? Is the 801 the same thread diameter/pitch as the M201??

13. wdave

wdave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    How about a quick "for dummies" step-by-step for rethreading a 510 battery. All I have now is a portable electric drill. I'd prefer NOT to re-thread the atty's. Please start me from a trip to the hardware store to the finished re-usable battery :)

TIA,
    Dave

14. funkybozu

funkybozu Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2009
    oups wrong thread edit

15. RjG

RjG Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 16, 2008
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Yes it is. (old question - I'm sure you know by now, but somebody else might be wondering too)

16. Hangtime

Hangtime Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 3, 2009
  17. SurvivorMcGyver

SurvivorMcGyver Ol' Timer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Stupendous.............. thanks so much for the research and offering

You mention "bar (size?) for pulling batteries connectors. The pics are below" .... Am I missing something? Couldn't find them. Can you list the bar sizes for us (if it's handy) for the dies listed?

Thanks a bunch (and excuse my laziness... LOL ... I could probably find them with google as fast as I typed this post..... but to consolodate every ones time in doing so -- you saved us .... what?.... a sum total of a week of manpower? :oops:

18. Spork!

Spork! Full Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Myerstown PA

Anybody still have these photos? Now that I'm building up piles of dead/worn out bits I'm interested in tearing them down for repair/re-use. If I can see how it's done ahead of time that'll save me sacrificing one or two to to the dremel gods. :)

19. reallango

reallango Full Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks for this great info. I put in an order for some of these and can't wait to get them in.

I was just making a list of the taps and dies I didn't order this time when I noticed that the first 2 under 901 are the same Die when the 2nd one should be a tap if I'm not mistaken. I think this is the one the 2nd link should point to.

Amazon.com: 8mm x .75 High Speed Steel Plug Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

if I'm wrong please let me know.

(edit) Ah it feels so nice to be able to post links

20. MDGiest72

MDGiest72 Full Member Verified Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Indiana
    Just a thought but if the tube for 510 and 801 is same couldn't you thread outside for 80 and inside for 510 and use 1 connector for both 510 and 801 atties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.