Not open for further replies.

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
Hmmm, not getting any input here....
Anywho, I found a brass tube at a hobby shop that'll work for the 901 atty. Ask for K&S 5/16 Round Brass No. 133 or get it here.
It is quite tough to get the die on, I messed up one end. But once you get it strated it cuts threads ok.

Now, gotta find a tube that will accept the 8 X .75 tap.

That material is .014 wall thickness, that's less then 1/64" of an inch, how are you even threading that? I would love to see a sample picture

The problem with brass tubes, in the diameter that you need, have a very thin wall, brass rod is a better candidate but needs to be drilled out also.

Cisco...

muldrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Easton, MD
Ya' I got this Friday, Friday evening I messed with it and I got it threaded, I was like "awesome"!!!. Threaded like 2" of it.
Today I get back to it and I'l darned if I can get it threaded again, even when tapering it down. It start, goes a little, then brakes. (Not sure if I burred the die???)
It even broke the part that I originally threaded Friday night.

We need a tad smaller tube, but where can we get it?

EDIT: Oh wait, you're saying to use a metal, steel tube?

sio2

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Brooklyn
www.flintweisser.com
No, I believe what Cisco is saying is that the wall thickness of the tube is far too thin to thread correctly. I didn't even look at the link until just now. It is no wonder you are having trouble with threading this. The depth of the thread is probably more than the thickness of the wall of the tube you are cutting into.

Try using a solid rod, instead of a tube. It should make very little difference whether you use a 5/16" rod or an 8 mm rod. 5/16" rod is actually .002" smaller than 8mm (.002 is about half the width of a human hair). Brass will be far better to use than steel (machines easier, and you can solder to it).

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
Oh, and then drill a hole down the center? (still confused)
Laredo7mm was talking about how he used tubes to cut into. (here, post #22.)
Cisco said "alloy 260 or 330 Brass" in the same thread.
(It would be much easier to use a tube)

ADD/EDIT: I used a 5/16 brake line from Autozone. It works

Hey muldrick,

Not sure if the tube that Laredo used was brass or not. Here is a link to some brass tube that has the correct O.D. .3125 to thread for a 901 and also has a much thicker wall .042 then the brass you used which was .014. Its a very close match to the dimensions on a standard connector.

Order Brass Brass Tube in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

Here is another that should work for a 510 and also an 801 connector. This also has a nice thick wall .065. The inside diameter is a little to small for the 510 and the outside diameter is a little to big for a 801 but shouldn't be enough of a difference to cause a problem.

Order Brass Brass Tube in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

I haven't threaded these myself so I cant guarantee they will work. maybe I will pick up a few pieces and check them out.

Cisco...

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey Guys,

I put this list together with the links to purchase taps and dies.........

(deleted text irrelevant to my question)

.....................I made a reference to a bar for pulling battery connectors, The pics are below

Cheers

Cisco...

Stupendous.............. thanks so much for the research and offering

You mention "bar (size?) for pulling batteries connectors. The pics are below" .... Am I missing something? Couldn't find them. Can you list the bar sizes for us (if it's handy) for the dies listed?

Thanks a bunch (and excuse my laziness... LOL ... I could probably find them with google as fast as I typed this post..... but to consolodate every ones time in doing so -- you saved us .... what?.... a sum total of a week of manpower? :oops:

Last edited:
I made reference to a bar for pulling battery connectors, The pics are below

Cheers

Cisco...

Anybody still have these photos? Now that I'm building up piles of dead/worn out bits I'm interested in tearing them down for repair/re-use. If I can see how it's done ahead of time that'll save me sacrificing one or two to to the dremel gods. :)

reallango

Sep 22, 2009
901 Tap and Die 8mm x .75

901 Die: Used for making your own battery threads for connecting an atomizer.

Amazon.com: 8mm X .75 High Speed Steel Round Die 1" OD: Victor Machinery Exchange

901 Tap: Used for threading a round bar to use in pulling battery connectors or making atomizer threads

Amazon.com: 8mm X .75 High Speed Steel Round Die 1" OD: Victor Machinery Exchange

901 Bottoming Tap: used for thread finishing to the bottom of a blind hole like on the atomizer threads

Amazon.com: 8 MM x .75 High Speed Steel Bottoming Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

Thanks for this great info. I put in an order for some of these and can't wait to get them in.

I was just making a list of the taps and dies I didn't order this time when I noticed that the first 2 under 901 are the same Die when the 2nd one should be a tap if I'm not mistaken. I think this is the one the 2nd link should point to.

Amazon.com: 8mm x .75 High Speed Steel Plug Tap: Victor Machinery Exchange

if I'm wrong please let me know.

(edit) Ah it feels so nice to be able to post links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread