Tatroes 50w atlas box mod: any owners out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Hey Reef, just wanted to mention a few things, Ive had the Atlas a few days now and realllllly like it. I was a little disappointed you cant "manually" change the Wattage, that you are always on a memory preset. But that is a non issue now, Im so fast with the gravity settings that if I want to change wattage to get to another preset, it is faster than manually changing it LOL. I have 12 watts in M1 for the kayfun, and 16-28 in the other presets for my Plume Veil, and Zenith toppers.

One thing I would keep an eye on that I ascertained from your post I quoted, is about that NCR battery. (at 3400 Mah I assume?) It is a great battery BUT has a max amp output of 6.8 Amps continuous. With that configuration your running around 6.2 amps which I imagine is enough of a buffer, albeit on the edge. But if you up the wattage a little to 38-39 watts, or drop the resistance to .6 you will then be over 7 amps of draw; Over the NCR's limit

I have 4!! Panasonic NCR batts from my SVD days that still work great and I want to use them, but Im careful to not put the lower resistance attys on when they are in there. Since I can mess that up easily as I like to change attys on the Atlas, I decided to stick with the VTC4 or 5 (30 amp limit) and use the NCR's for lighter vapeing like the SVD/kayfun combo at 1.7 and 12 watts. anyhoo

I keep a Ohms law app on my iphone now to quickly check my resistance/wattage combos. Works great, lasts a long time lol, and free

P.S Come to think of it, I haven't seen many conversations about this point, that these new generation of HIGH power REGULATED devices are fantastic, and take away some risk by having protections built into the board. EXCEPT that the Atlas (and dna Sigelie etc) does not know the battery amp limit of any particular battery so there is no protection there. If we put a 6.8 amp battery in a regulated device and then a RDA build that is drawing 9 amps, we WILL have a problem, or venting.

thanks. While I didn't have an issue, I was uncomfortable at .8 ohms and pulled the battery after it was down to around 3.7v
i opted back to my trusty vtc5 and will stay with those for now until I run a higher ohm build.

I appreciate everyone's concern and advice.

happy vaping

Samsung 25r is a 20amp flattop available at illumn.com that supposedly holds up quite well.
But it's a 20 amp battery so you have to build to ensure you're not exceeding that

Yep, absolutely crucial we keep an eye on the basics of Ohms law. A quick calculation shows 50W (max for my Atlas) at .2 (lowest an Atlas will fire) will draw 15.8 Amps. That should be as high an Amp you can draw on the Atlas, (Barring a short where other protections kick in). So seems well within these new batteries that seem to be more popular for Vapesters. Here is a great Ohms calculator page.....
Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Also looking around, seems another great battery for what we are discussing here is on the Orbtronics page at 22 Amps....I will prolly order some of these soon......
22 Amps Ultra High Drain 18650 Orbtronic SX22 battery li-ion cell

laramik

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Chicago
I think it may be an issue with the button. It does not have a tactile "click" at the point when it activates, and it has a pretty long throw, so it's easy to do a half-press instead of a full press. And sometimes when you do a half press it may be oscillating in between the "on" and "off" state and registering it as multiple clicks.

Well, let me just say that I love Cigtechs and had this device on a waiting list for over 2 weeks to get. Got it last night finally in copper. While I was on the wait list I also happened to pick up a Sigelei 100 watt.

I was super excited to pick up the atlas as I don't ever really go above 50 watts on the sigelei and I like the outside build of the Atlas better. After picking up the atlas last night here are my thoughts.

1.) 510 connection - I don't know where they got this cheap connection but this thing is garbage. It isn't adjustable and mine is personally extremely loose. You can actually push it in and out of the case a few millimeters with just your finger.

2.) Battery door - mine does not line up well at the top. Definitely a different door was on this case when it went in for anondizing. Secondly, what were they thinking here. One little drop of liquid will seep right down this and into the fully exposed innards.

3.) Gravity sensor- Ok, I get the idea here, but really, it just kind of sucks. It would be one thing if this scrolled somewhat quickly up the watts but it doesn't.

4.) Battery life - Even when you have a half charged battery in here, it won't fire above 20 watts. I mean, I don't get much use out of this device at all.

5.) Button - This button is not good. Super long throw and doesn't always want to fire. Not clicky.

6.) Overall build quality and battery sleeve tearing - after cleaning off all of the crap on the contacts for the battery, I finally inserted my battery only to find out that I can't remove the battery without damaging the skin. And the contacts seem of extremely low quality, and the wiring and solder is quite flimsy.

Overall, very dissapointed in this product, the new ones that are shipping now have a standard phillips to remove the battery door which I suppose is good but really, this is a very very big dissapointment to me. My Cana clone is better built that this and it doesn't leak all into its own compartment. I will post side by side photos against the sigelei and to me there is no real question as to who has a better product. Too bad. I really wanted to like this product, but when I compare it side by side to the sigelei which cost 100 dollars less, it's a total no brainer. :facepalm:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/A49c-7t_YUhxlCsa3Db2FzrNybGc8yPC6fTAiJmd2QU=w415-h553-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-.../h1unqUlVPR4/w415-h553-no/20141003_133314.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-.../A0dq6yHGclc/w737-h553-no/20141003_133749.jpg

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
A place some call paradise
Well, let me just say that I love Cigtechs and had this device on a waiting list for over 2 weeks to get. Got it last night finally in copper. While I was on the wait list I also happened to pick up a Sigelei 100 watt.

I was super excited to pick up the atlas as I don't ever really go above 50 watts on the sigelei and I like the outside build of the Atlas better. After picking up the atlas last night here are my thoughts.

1.) 510 connection - I don't know where they got this cheap connection but this thing is garbage. It isn't adjustable and mine is personally extremely loose. You can actually push it in and out of the case a few millimeters with just your finger.

2.) Battery door - mine does not line up well at the top. Definitely a different door was on this case when it went in for anondizing. Secondly, what were they thinking here. One little drop of liquid will seep right down this and into the fully exposed innards.

3.) Gravity sensor- Ok, I get the idea here, but really, it just kind of sucks. It would be one thing if this scrolled somewhat quickly up the watts but it doesn't.

4.) Battery life - Even when you have a half charged battery in here, it won't fire above 20 watts. I mean, I don't get much use out of this device at all.

5.) Button - This button is not good. Super long throw and doesn't always want to fire. Not clicky.

6.) Overall build quality and battery sleeve tearing - after cleaning off all of the crap on the contacts for the battery, I finally inserted my battery only to find out that I can't remove the battery without damaging the skin. And the contacts seem of extremely low quality, and the wiring and solder is quite flimsy.

Overall, very dissapointed in this product, the new ones that are shipping now have a standard phillips to remove the battery door which I suppose is good but really, this is a very very big dissapointment to me. My Cana clone is better built that this and it doesn't leak all into its own compartment. I will post side by side photos against the sigelei and to me there is no real question as to who has a better product. Too bad. I really wanted to like this product, but when I compare it side by side to the sigelei which cost 100 dollars less, it's a total no brainer. :facepalm:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/A49c-7t_YUhxlCsa3Db2FzrNybGc8yPC6fTAiJmd2QU=w415-h553-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-.../h1unqUlVPR4/w415-h553-no/20141003_133314.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-.../A0dq6yHGclc/w737-h553-no/20141003_133749.jpg

Damn man that sucks. The first one I got was messed up too and I contacted them and they sent me a new one. I sent mine back, sent them the tracking number and they sent my new one back. It's been flawless. I've used it everyday since the 3 days after they came out.
The battery door lines up perfectly, but I don't like the screws. It fires at 39.9watts almost all day for me.
Sorry you're not having as good of an experience as the rest of us, but I'm almost certain that cigtechs would fix it

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
And you were right. No questions asked they took it back and offered a replacement. Good guys especially in the Algonquin location. Love those guys.
Wow, ouch!
Bad experience, but it happens from time to time with many reputable vendors & glad they took care of you. My 510 is snug as a bug and sealed fine. I also haven't found an atty yet that has been loose in the connection or hasn't fired. The only issue I would see with an atty on mine is if the center pin on the atty was recessed and I won't use those. The gravity sensor grew on me pretty quick. I have no need to fiddle with wattage. Once I find my sweet spot on a build, I set the pre set. I switch out three different toppers that I REALLY LIKE on mine and just go to my pre sets for each.

Happy vaping

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yeah the fixed 510 has been screwing with me lately. My magma is my favorite atty but on the third run they shortened the 510 (used to be the longest one out there). It takes forever for it to be recognized by the atlas and when it is I don't think it's getting an accurate reading of the ohms which is making it inaccurate on the creation of watts. I think the build I have on it now is .75 which is like at 30.1 watts. But the atlas thinks it's at .9. So in order to create the 30.1 watts at the resistance it has to apply a higher voltage than it really should be. It's creating a messed up vape. I don't know if this is possible or of thats what's happening but I know it's not the correct vape

laramik

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Chicago
Yeah the fixed 510 has been screwing with me lately. My magma is my favorite atty but on the third run they shortened the 510 (used to be the longest one out there). It takes forever for it to be recognized by the atlas and when it is I don't think it's getting an accurate reading of the ohms which is making it inaccurate on the creation of watts. I think the build I have on it now is .75 which is like at 30.1 watts. But the atlas thinks it's at .9. So in order to create the 30.1 watts at the resistance it has to apply a higher voltage than it really should be. It's creating a messed up vape. I don't know if this is possible or of thats what's happening but I know it's not the correct vape
Is it a legit magma or a clone? I'm guessing real but I had a nearly identical situation with a clone magma.

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
It's an authentic. The clones had an absurdly long 510 and for some reason the v3 release of the magma they shortened it considerably. Seems to be just a bit too short for a fixed 510. It works but I'm fairly certain im getting way higher wattage out of it than the screen is suggesting. It's applying close to 6 volts to achieve the 30 watts. 5.85 volts on a .75 coil is closer to 50 watts than 30.

I have had my Atlas for about 4 months maybe longer and I only have 2 issues that really bug me. The first is the damn hex screws that I am unsuccessfully searching to find a tool for. That sucker is really small and so far I have not found one small enough to fit and the other issue is the battery life. Most of the box mods that came out in the first Hana/ZNA/T5 type mods wave only have one 18650 battery. If one wants to use a cleromizer or a 510 atty then the single battery should be ok but like most of us who love our RDA's the battery life is a far cry from ok. This could have been a more tolerable short sight but the Hana with screws the Atlas with impossible to find hex screw tool are a pretty big deal. My battery must have come loose inside my Atlas and now I can't get inside to change the battery. Does anyone know where to get a tool that fits? Once I get past those two issues everything else about the Atlas is top notch?

Hex Screw Tool Anyone know where to gat one? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

I Strongly Suggest an All or MAX VG Juice. Look for juices that are made for Drippers. I was floored at the difference on Quacks Goose Juice. I was using HH357's for about 2 years and tried the Goose juice and it just had no flavor but when I switched over to RDA's (it is 100% VG) and dripped some in my magma atty I was floored. 1000% difference. In a very good way that is. High VG juices seem to be much better across the board on RDA's and a lot of Dripping specific juices are becoming more available each day.

I had to look into my shipping time but I did find everything. I always screenshot the USPS tracking Screen when any vapemail arrives. I had my mod in hand in three days flat. I guess I was lucky

Im a few months into my Atlas and have to make a few points. It is definitely still my only vape machine.

1-Looks cool in Blue and feels nice and solid. Maybe a lil heavy for some with smaller hands but I like the solid feel of it. I also pack it into a back pocket of a travel bag for frequent trips and gives me some confidence. (I always lock the fire button, as we should all be doing when traveling w a mod.

2-Very accurate board from what I can tell and delivers VERY stable power. (I have a MECH that is supposed to be delivering 32 Watts on this ATTY and isnt as warm as 22 Watts on the Atlas) May need a cleaning tho lol. I sport a Plume Veil, Zenith, and a Magma on the Atlas and all work great. (.4ohms, 1.1 and .5 respectively).
Be advised tho the Atlas is a FIXED 510 and SOME attys will not reach all the way down (it is lower than others) to make a connection, like an igo RDA. The magma with its loong 510 connection fits great on the Atlas, although I imagine I do not have a Magma V3 like the previous poster cause it fits perfect.

3-I must have gotten one of the last Atlas V1's (SN 248) cause they came out with V2 a week or so after I got it. I would have liked to have the upgraded wire, the 4 philips head screws on the back panel (Instead of HEX) and...what else did they upgrade, maybe 60 watts? MEH I never go above 34. (So really the upgraded wiring is not a big deal either, BUT the back door with normal screws would've been great.) Oh Well. I was considering getting a second one in another color for traveling but I really dont want to have Shiny MOD syndrome, just dont need it, one is enough. I MAY look into an rDNA in the future as an adjustable 510 pin can be very helpful.
And on that note, Cigtechs doesn't seem to even be selling ANY Atlas Mods at the moment, V2 or V1. (Some blemished ones are on the site bit OUT OF STOCK) So not sure what is going on there.

I have had my Atlas for about 4 months maybe longer and I only have 2 issues that really bug me. The first is the damn hex screws that I am unsuccessfully searching to find a tool for. That sucker is really small and so far I have not found one small enough to fit and the other issue is the battery life. Most of the box mods that came out in the first Hana/ZNA/T5 type mods wave only have one 18650 battery. If one wants to use a cleromizer or a 510 atty then the single battery should be ok but like most of us who love our RDA's the battery life is a far cry from ok. This could have been a more tolerable short sight but the Hana with screws the Atlas with impossible to find hex screw tool are a pretty big deal. My battery must have come loose inside my Atlas and now I can't get inside to change the battery. Does anyone know where to get a tool that fits? Once I get past those two issues everything else about the Atlas is top notch?

Hex Screw Tool Anyone know where to gat one? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Not sure if you found one yet, Tatroe/Cigtechs fixed that by the time I ordered one and I received a Hex screw that worked for the back panel, BUT if you have a set of Allen keys; normally the smallest one is 1/16 IN or 1.5MM Those are still too big. Sucks, but I imagine a quick run to a hardware store with Atlas in hand to try em out will solve that. Get some spares! LOL. In fact I think I will do just that

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
Hi, purchased an Atlas 50w about 2 weeks ago and have been enjoying it immensely - Yesterday I flashed the latest yihi firmware to it (12-08-2014) because it was there to be honest, but I prefer the own custom 'tatroe mods' logo to the yihi one, and the way I vape am never going to need 60watts! Also, for some reason their latest update offsets the voltage by about 0.2-0.4 volts for some reason (comparing to ohms law), flashed their older firmware from August onto it in case It had always been that way and I hadn't noticed, but it was bang on. I was just wondering if anybody has the 50w firmware for the Tatroe Atlas?, so I can flash it back to how it was originally! Have emailed cigtechs (who I got it from) and Tatroe mods direct but haven't had a reply....

Many Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread