Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Yep there’s a GT CCELL .5 coil but I don’t see what it’s made of on this website. So probably not ss.
3-Pack of Vaporesso GT CCELL 0.5ohm Coil
I don’t know why the CCells are so hard to find. I’m glad I ordered them awhile ago. I may order more since a lot of stores don’t plan on carrying them.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I usually set the temp to something just over 400 F and go up or down from there based on flavor.

Most well designed TC-capable mods allow you to set the initial wattage a good bit higher than you would normally vape using a particular coil in a particular tank. Those that do it well use buck/boost logic to keep the wattage at the level necessary to maintain your set temp.

Those that don't do it well just turn power off and on. Setting those too high is like trying to power a motorcycle with a jet engine. The average speed might be ok...

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
Dallas Texas
I usually set the temp to something just over 400 F and go up or down from there based on flavor.

Most well designed TC-capable mods allow you to set the initial wattage a good bit higher than you would normally vape using a particular coil in a particular tank. Those that do it well use buck/boost logic to keep the wattage at the level necessary to maintain your set temp.

Those that don't do it well just turn power off and on. Setting those too high is like trying to power a motorcycle with a jet engine. The average speed might be ok...
After a good start with TC, a problem arose later in the day with my Lost Vape DNA75 with an OBS Engine RTA and 316 SS coils (0.22 ohms). With temp set to 350 F and watts at 25, after several hours the mod entered Temp protection. Allowed an hour cool-down but temp protection still active. As 316 SS coils can be used in wattage mode, switched to wattage mode at 35W - vapes OK. What could be activating the temp protection mode?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
To the best of my understanding, temp protection kicks in once the coil has reached maximum temperature and will be throttling back on wattage. It really should go away once the coil and vape has cooled though, and it shouldn't take that much time. I'd suggest removing and reinserting your batteries, and if it asks "new coil" I might say yes, just to see if you can get the "temperature protection" setting to go away. It does bring up the question of whether there is something electrically going on with the mod, as really, temperature protection shouldn't remain on if the coil is cooled, but it could also be something in your settings with your mod just as equally. I'm not familiar with that mod, so I'm not the best person to trouble shoot for you, but hopefully someone more familiar with this mod/issue will be along to help.

Best of luck,

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
After a good start with TC, a problem arose later in the day with my Lost Vape DNA75 with an OBS Engine RTA and 316 SS coils (0.22 ohms). With temp set to 350 F and watts at 25, after several hours the mod entered Temp protection. Allowed an hour cool-down but temp protection still active. As 316 SS coils can be used in wattage mode, switched to wattage mode at 35W - vapes OK. What could be activating the temp protection mode?
There is something going on with the resistance change in your build. Resistance is rising far faster than it should be, which means that there is a hot spot in one (or both) of your coils, or a coil lead that isn't making a good electrical connection until it heats up or maybe a hot leg that's about to pop on you. Your chip is reading the resistance change, calculating what the temperature should be given the starting temp and resistance, and then changing the power accordingly.

Remember, in the temperature control model on your chip, temperature is a calculated value. There's no device or sensor measuring temperature in the chamber. The chip is programmed to read resistance, compare it to starting resistance, use the TCR value for the coil's material and estimate temperature.

I always lock cold resistance if the mod can do it. Some people don't (I have no idea why; none of my business), and some mods just set the cold resistance to whatever it was when the mod first read the coil in a TC mode.

Separate issue: I can't get a very satisfactory vape at 350 F on any of my builds with SS coils (dual). But I don't have an OBS Engine (yet!). My TC run atomizers are two Battlestar RTA's, two Moonshot RTA's, two Goblin RTA's and two TFV8 RBA's. Oh, and two drippers. All are set between 420 and 450 F.

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
Dallas Texas
There is something going on with the resistance change in your build. Resistance is rising far faster than it should be, which means that there is a hot spot in one (or both) of your coils, or a coil lead that isn't making a good electrical connection until it heats up or maybe a hot leg that's about to pop on you. Your chip is reading the resistance change, calculating what the temperature should be given the starting temp and resistance, and then changing the power accordingly.

Remember, in the temperature control model on your chip, temperature is a calculated value. There's no device or sensor measuring temperature in the chamber. The chip is programmed to read resistance, compare it to starting resistance, use the TCR value for the coil's material and estimate temperature.

I always lock cold resistance if the mod can do it. Some people don't (I have no idea why; none of my business), and some mods just set the cold resistance to whatever it was when the mod first read the coil in a TC mode.

Separate issue: I can't get a very satisfactory vape at 350 F on any of my builds with SS coils (dual). But I don't have an OBS Engine (yet!). My TC run atomizers are two Battlestar RTA's, two Moonshot RTA's, two Goblin RTA's and two TFV8 RBA's. Oh, and two drippers. All are set between 420 and 450 F.
Moved the OBS Engine with 316 SS coils to my Smok Alien set to TC 390 F/30 W. Ohms reading 0.235 and amps reading at 14.76. When firing, temp reads 77 F, ohms 0.204, volts 2.45, amps 13.86. Vaping well. I'm stumped why it works on the Alien and not on the Lost Vape DNA 75C.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Moved the OBS Engine with 316 SS coils to my Smok Alien set to TC 390 F/30 W. Ohms reading 0.235 and amps reading at 14.76. When firing, temp reads 77 F, ohms 0.204, volts 2.45, amps 13.86. Vaping well. I'm stumped why it works on the Alien and not on the Lost Vape DNA 75C.
Don't have an Alien, either. It doesn't have a good reputation for its implementation of temperature control. @Eskie probably has more knowledge on it.

Resistance should not fall when the device is being fired. That leads me to suspect the build even more. Is resistance also falling when the DNA device is powered up?

You can ignore the amps on the display for battery drain purposes. What you see there is the current between the chip and the atomizer.

• Useful

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
Dallas Texas
Don't have an Alien, either. It doesn't have a good reputation for its implementation of temperature control. @Eskie probably has more knowledge on it.

Resistance should not fall when the device is being fired. That leads me to suspect the build even more. Is resistance also falling when the DNA device is powered up?

You can ignore the amps on the display for battery drain purposes. What you see there is the current between the chip and the atomizer.
Thanks Coastal Cowboy! I accept your diagnosis and I'll rebuild my RTA using new SS coils. Will post once I've had a chance to try TC on the DNA 75 with the new SS coils. You've been a real help as I try to switch from VW to TC.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Thanks Coastal Cowboy! I accept your diagnosis and I'll rebuild my RTA using new SS coils. Will post once I've had a chance to try TC on the DNA 75 with the new SS coils. You've been a real help as I try to switch from VW to TC.
No problem and good luck!

Let us know how it all turns out. :pop:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The temperature protection message isn't a warning, it just shows that tc is working. As the coil reaches the set temperature the mod will throttle down the wattage. Just keep on vaping.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
TC is a bit of an enigma. Seems like nearly every mod claims to do it while in reality some do and some don't. Of the ones that do, each seems to have a different definition for TC. Next problem is that very few commercially made coils are made with TC metals. There are a ton of starter kits that show "full suite of TC" on the package but the sub-ohm tank in the kit only has kanthal coils available. So now were talking about RTA's and RDA's for the most part where you can put TC metals in them. One thing you can try is go to DJLSB vapes Youtube channel and see if he has done a review on your mod. He is usually pretty thorough regarding TC. Often times he will recommend modified settings for mods that perform a little out of spec in TC. Even DNA mods are often shipped with the TC perimeters set incorrectly. That's a whole new bag of worms setting the mods temperature profile, internal resistance, and optimal TFR for the coil used. It can get deep if you want to go there.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread