• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Teddy Bears - Any collectors/fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Hi all! I just posted a message in the avatar thread and thought I'd start a new thread instead of continuing to hijack that one. :) Our family collects bears. Especially the big, round-headed, pug nose variety. Our favorites were the bears sold by Brandies in the mid to late 80's. Just thought any fans or collector of bears could share their stories.

I have to tell a story. I'm from Omaha and for 7 yrs I lived in Denver. Our 'main' bear, Sweetie Pie (SP), had become old and worn (furless) in many places. She's been all over the country and eaten in many restaurants. She was 19 at the time, well loved, and a sorry sight. I found a doll hospital in Denver and convinced my mother to let me pick SP in Omaha and take her to the hospital in Denver for restoration.

Well, my mother and I were so distraught over leaving miss SP there for 6 weeks that I 'volunteered' for free on Saturdays at the hospital so I could visit her. SP's dad, Teddy, even volunteered some fur for the operation so I had 2 bears to visit every week. We were so happy with her restoration we had pics taken of her in a studio. :D I'll have to post a pic.

Anyway, I had a great time and learned a ton about dolls are bears. Even thought about buying the place when I heard it was up for sale. It's quite interesting work!

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Here's the picture of miss Sweetie Pie clean and newly restored after her stay at the doll hospital about 10 years ago. Of course, she's dirty again. :) She's with her boyfriend Bue.

shivadance-albums-profile-pics-picture2271-sp-bue.jpg

Kelly79

Jul 7, 2009
Alaska
Here's the picture of miss Sweetie Pie clean and newly restored after her stay at the doll hospital about 10 years ago. Of course, she's dirty again. :) She's with her boyfriend Bue.

Awwwww that's soooo cute. My momma is a bear fiend, she has TONS of them. I am still searching for THE perfect purple bear for her (this is a so far 14 year journey so far no luck, some were close but not perfect). I think it's the cutest thing about my momma. I like bears too, but I'm a bunny girl as well, and kitties...and puppies...okay I just like my stuffed animals. I have the most adorable bear though she's so sweet, I got her 4-5 years ago form my dh on valentines day, I'll post a pic of her tomorrow (she's sleeping in my dd's room, her Teddy Bear is my Flora Bear's SO They look cute together.)

Last edited:

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Yeah, our family is always searching for the perfect bears ourselves. Any time we see one that looks like one of the Brandies bears we just have to have it!

But sometimes we take in the homely looking ones as well. They need luv too! I know I prolly sound like a nut, but I like to think my bears have been loved enough to become real, like in The Velveteen Rabbit.

What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

"The Boy's Uncle made me Real," he said. "That was a great many years ago; but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

gutted2

Aug 21, 2009
Sorry to HiJack this thread, but as you are collectors of teddies, im not sure if this is something that might appeal to you or a friend!

UKTV Home series 'GUTTED' is returning. Mark Durden-Smith and the Gutted Team are on the look out for hoarders and collectors for the ultimate home make over show!

Is your house bursting at the seams with stuff you don't need, use or want anymore?

Are you living in clutter chaos?

Do you want take part in the spring clean of the century?

If this sounds like you, or someone you know then get in touch. We'd love to hear from you.

Call - 0870 062 5090
Email - contact@twofour.co.uk

Many thanks

Kelly79

Jul 7, 2009
Alaska
Hi Gutted2, As that is a UK show, I wonder if these gals would fit the bill? They are in the States! Thanks for the suggestion. The Women's Room is always open for a new idea!
Welcome to ECF!

lol I wouldn't fit the bill even if I were in UK, I'm a neat freak and keep my collecting to a tidy minimal. My books are another issue though, if I could afford to buy every book i want to own I would need several libraries to fit them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread