Teens Love Vaping Flavors, and It’s a Regulatory Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Do they really think that the youth is too stupid to import all kinds of vape stuff and make their own juices?
In general they are better at using the internet than the older generations.

In general, they know how to Abuse the internet... I have to teach every young person in my section how to use the internet at work. And while my 13 yo twin boys are great at finding games, they have no clue how to shop/search unless it's an app for their phone. Same with the 17 yo daughter as far as shopping.

Now, my 29 and 33 yo sons can tear a computer apart, load an OS from a usb thumb drive and reconfigure the whole thing to do what they want to do. As well as figure out how to get supplies they need.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is impossible to know how many "kids" would be "saved" from vaping by reducing flavors. No one really knows exactly how many kids are even vaping currently.

I will say this, when my kiddo approached with his smoking habit, I got him vape gear and supplies. He vaped a few years, then quit. He (guilt, IMO) gifted his setups back to me at a time when I REALLY needed to stop, COPD diagnosis was gonna be in about a month.

My ALLOWING my son to vape OMG flavors saved HIM from a life of smoking, and my willingness to accept his HARM REDUCTION and OMG FLAVORED vape equipment saved him from a lifetime of smoking.

Because vaping carries NOWHERE near the harm of smoking, quitting was pretty easy and he didn't reduce nic, just stopped.

HOWEVER, his quitting vaping enabled me to START. I was like, "Here I am dying, and I can't stop smoking, but my KID gave up smoking AND vaping? I suck." Was a sufficient motivation to get ME to stop smoking, and become a vaper.

And, it wasn't the flavorings that did it, either, although having them available certainly helped.

My question is, how many kids who vape for a while may ACTUALLY HELP their own parents to STOP smoking, because that is how my story went.

I could give a rats ... about "age". IMO, it's about maturity and a kid mature enough to disclose his own smoking and request harm reduction is "old" enough to vape.

Children have nothing to do with flavoring. And, I guess I'm a child abuser for letting my child vape. SO be it, FDA.

I'm sure if I sent my "heartwarming" story in to the FDA, they would not feel the way I feel about it.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't much care how teens as a group act out.

And I do find myself agreeing with Kent re: rhetoric and how it is used to control the masses.

What might happen if we ALL rose up and told those who want, above all else CONTROL, where to shove their "labels."

He was my child. Buying him vape equipment was not "abusive." It was actually DAMAGE control from my inability to quit smoking myself, and if the government had been present to arrest me, well so be it. Children should NEVER be used as pawns for government control.

Dilletante teens just out for a good time will have an easier time stopping vaping than they would stopping smoking. A certain number will become vapers for life, and that is also preferable to a lifetime as a smoker. Flavors are irrelevant EXCEPT that if only tobacco and menthol are allowed, I'd imagine more kids would choose smoking, because the novelty of it not tasting like crud would cause them to be more likely to turn to smoking instead.

That IS what the government wants if you ask me--- a new generation of smokers. They are not alarmed about the fact that vaping is RISING in teens. They are dismayed that more teens are not getting addicted to tobacco.

It's all lies. Every last thing is a lie. I'm to the point with this issue that if some kid wanted me to buy them a vape, I'd consider it. Simply because I am so ...... off! I'm not going to, but if I could, I would enter my nearest HS, and supply anyone who wanted it with vape gear. It's a form of activism I'm not going to engage in (I'm not fan of prisons) but IMAGINE if we all began treating the issue as so irrelevant, we no longer needed to mention "kids."

We shouldn't. Those kids are their PARENTS problem, and they get to decide what their kids do, including if they break laws or not.

Unfortunately, the government is dismayed because kids are breaking the WRONG law, not that the law is being broken..

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do they really think that the youth is too stupid to import all kinds of vape stuff and make their own juices?
I'm not convinced many of them would want to be bothered with all that, and if they're still living at home, will their parental units put up with them DIYing?

I think they'll take the path of least resistance instead, which is to buy from a supplier who's making bank in practicing counter-economics, or they'll simply do what previous generations did; get a pack of regular smokes.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There are a few questions the researchers forget to ask the kids.

1. Do you own a vaping device or did you take a few puffs off one that belongs to someboy else?
2. If you own a vaping device did your parents help you get it?
3. If your parents didn't assist you do they know you have a vaping device and are they okay with that?

Digging deeper might discover that a lot of kids have their parents active support. Are we going to make it a crime for parents to protect their kids from smoking by letting them vape?

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I don't really think kids should drink coffee, but as far as I know there's no laws against it. I also don't feel it's my right to tell another family not to let their kids drink coffee. That's their personal decision. I think the same approach should be taken if parents decide to let their kids vape. It is safer than smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread