Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Try telling that to their parents and the rest of the public.

I could be wrong but I don't think the number of kids who used an e-cig for the first time in a month is going to alter the percentage of the "current use" figure to a significant degree.
Regardless these are the figures that the FDA will use when they try to ban online sales. It is also the figure that parents and the general public will believe when the antis tell them their kids are trying out e-cigs.
Oh I definitely understand that, I'm just not very happy about it.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Why do I get the feeling that teenagers who are picking up e cigs are actually trying to quit smoking analogs? What kind of teenagers are the article talking about? The 14 or 15 year olds hiding behind a bush puffing on their first e-cig (sorry, don't see that happening) or 17 year olds who have been smoking for a little while and would like to quit because performance is lacking in sports, and they need to get into college, or they are working and supporting a car, paying rent to the parents, and found they have better things to spend their money on than cigarettes?

Excellent questions. I don't think we are getting our money's worth from our Federal employees.

The CDC claims that "use" has doubled. In their survey they asked "During the past 30 days, how often did you use...?" regarding 6 different products. Yet they failed to ask "How often did you use..." about e-cigarettes. "Ever use" and "Current use" (as defined by the CDC) don't tell you anything about regular use.

The CDC claimed that youth will become addicted to nicotine by using e-cigarettes. Yet they did not bother to ask "Does your e-cigarette contain nicotine?"

The CDC claims that students will start with e-cigarettes and then move on to life-long use of regular cigarettes. They could identify those who had selected both "cigarettes" and "e-cigarettes" in the questions about ever use and past month use. Yet they failed to ask this group, "Which product did you start using first?"

As you surmise, some youth might be smokers looking to find a low-risk alternative. We can't know whether this is true, because the CDC failed to ask e-cigarette users, "What motivated you to use an e-cigarette?"

There are all kinds of accusations about e-cigarettes targeting children, with the proof supposedly being that e-cigarettes are available in non-tobacco flavors. Yet, they failed to ask, "What flavor is your e-cigarette?"

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I agree, they really do need to research the facts before they go public with such rubbish! It is just as hard for a kid who has been smoking cigarettes for a year or two to quit smoking as it is for an adult who has been smoking 20 or so years! It is almost like making M-th-d-n- illegal to give to h----- addicted teenagers because they are "kids". Kids still get into bad stuff whether it is legal or not. That's a fact. Sometimes we have to do something that is questionable to get rid of a worse habit.

Papadragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Omaha Nebraska
Well a big cloud from a ecig is better than a cig or a .... rip and if ther using rba rda tooling with stuff thats better than them making bongs better have them so somthing constructive with ecigs than smoke cigs drink and smoke pot maybe cloud chasing with help them from doing other more harmful things to there body's IMO

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I saw this on the news last night on NBC. What really killed me about it, is that they wanted to ban ecigs from teenagers, leaving them the alternative to smoke analogs. That to me is dumb as hell.
Sure the teens shouldn't start at all, but if they do, an ecig is a lot better for them than a burning stick.
What I got from it was that ecigs are the devil, and they should be banned, but not analog cigs.
I see a tobacco company conspiracy here.
I've been deep in researching about vaporizing, for another thread that has my interest peaked.
You are on to something...
Come to find out, many many ahem roll your owns, were cut with tobacco, sometimes cut as much as half! , in attempts to stretch the greener stuff.
I am having so much fun diving into the naughty world. I keep looking over my shoulder lol.

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
i laugh at these reports teens using e cigs in record numbers , same song when computers hit the market , same song on anything in life , teens are people too it did not take a genius to figure that one out now what would supprise me would be e cigarette use up in record numbers in infants , just got one question when do most people try smoking....when there teens

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
The weirdest part? Many of them became addicted to tobacco via stretched out roll your own ahems. Yep. The more they needed to stretch the ahem at their parties, the more addicted to tobacco they became. They, of course, turned to the eCigs to help them stop the tobacco cravings-however, the ecig needs to be used as needed, and they cant always do that. The solution? Unstretched ahem stops the excess cravings! (For reals) Using the ahem vaporizer is popular for that purpose. However, the ahem vaporizer can heat both tobacco and ahem, so, it's still being stretched unknowingly at times. A vicious circle. The eCig can not be used for that, only for eliquids. Put eliquids in the other one and you'll go crying home to mommy, it's that burnt awful. But, the good news is, while they are trying to fight their way out of their box, they at least have given up the tar and toxins that started this whole stop smoking campaign in the first place.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
Some great points here! One of the first things to pop in my head when I saw the article was to wonder how many of the kids trying e-cigs are the same ones who would have tried analogs if vaping wasn't an option. We know that teen smoking has been declining for years, so who's to say vaping hasn't contributed to that trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread