Temperature control: looking for some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
What can anyone tell me about temperature control? I can't be a whole lot more specific in my question because I have a zero knowledge starting point. I have seen that some more advanced vapers on TouTube have decided not to go the temperature control route and I wonder why. Is it complicated? How does it affect your vape? I'm looking into getting my next mod and want to get into sub ohming. I'm looking at the EVic VTC Mini or subox Mini. Am I right in saying the subox is not a temperature control device? If not would you recommend I go the temperature route?

Any information and advice would be great. I'll check out some YouTube videos but this forum has been my first port of call because so far I've received brilliant advice.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
What can anyone tell me about temperature control? I can't be a whole lot more specific in my question because I have a zero knowledge starting point. I have seen that some more advanced vapers on TouTube have decided not to go the temperature control route and I wonder why. Is it complicated? How does it affect your vape? I'm looking into getting my next mod and want to get into sub ohming. I'm looking at the EVic VTC Mini or Subox Mini. Am I right in saying the Subox is not a temperature control device? If not would you recommend I go the temperature route?

Any information and advice would be great. I'll check out some YouTube videos but this forum has been my first port of call because so far I've received brilliant advice.
Most regulated mods come with both so you don't have to choose. All you need to try temp control is a proper coil. Make it out of stainless steel and it can work in watts or temp mod. I prefer temp mode beause I use drippers and there are no dry hits.

Reactions: Waxxiii

KaiChen

Unresolved Status
Mar 29, 2015
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
The Subox Mini and Nano do not have TC functionality. Options from Kanger for TC are the Topbox Series, the KBox 70/120/200w, as well as the NEBox. There are also good options from JT - the Evic VTC Mini, Cuboid and Reuleaux.

I personally LOVE TC, but it's a bit finicky. Why I like it? I get consistent hits; I can pull long and slow instead of fast, short hits. But, it does require a bit of tweaking to get to where you want. If you get a TC device, look for one with SS support (or programmable TCR like the JT options.) SS works both in VW and TC mode, so it's more flexible. I've personally been using Ti, but it requires some tweaking to get my Ti builds (which are a bit more fancy) to where I think it should be hitting. But, when TC works correctly, I think it's an overall better experience.
When you say that it's finicky, how do you mean. When the TC isn't where you want it what is the result?

Oh, and what is SS support? See, zero knowledge. I feel so out of my depth at the moment but I'm sure it will all become obvious. When I started vaping I thought I would never understand coils, atomisers, clearomisers, variable voltage and wattage etc but I'm nearly there with that now... ish.

What arw your opinions on the Nebox, VTC Mini and Kbox? Is the eGrip any good?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Essentially, it is a means of the mod measuring the temperature of the coil wire and adjusting applied power to hold the temp where you set it. I am one of the advanced vapers who tried it and didn't like it much. Now SS wire is available, however, I am changing my tune. I have been TC vaping all week on SS wire, and I love it.

Reactions: pt91

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
What can anyone tell me about temperature control? I can't be a whole lot more specific in my question because I have a zero knowledge starting point. I have seen that some more advanced vapers on TouTube have decided not to go the temperature control route and I wonder why.

Because most of them are old school and don't want anything restricting the temperature of their vape. They are used to sub-ohming and vaping at high wattages and high heat.

. Is it complicated? How does it affect your vape? I'm looking into getting my next mod and want to get into sub ohming. I'm looking at the EVic VTC Mini or Subox Mini. Am I right in saying the Subox is not a temperature control device? If not would you recommend I go the temperature route?

I see no reason NOT to buy a TC capable mod. The Evic VTC Mini or the Joyetech Cuboid are the way to go for a beginner. Both mods get high praise.

KaiChen

Unresolved Status
Mar 29, 2015
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

zanzi

Jan 18, 2016
How does it affect your vape?
I compared a stainless steel build in my STM on my Evic mini-
same watts.
Above 195°C the vape was richer.
Less battery drain at the same watts on my Evic mini.

It's not quite as simple as VW, but well worth it.
atm, the Evic mini is an extremely good value little mod.

Stainless steel can be used in VW & TC modes, so I'd suggest you get a TC mod which supports SS in TC & some eg 28G SS wire- or thicker.
Easy to work with- no need to anneal.
Absence of kanthal taste on TC wires is amazing.

Titanium has been a bit of a PITA for me, & apparently nickel is worse.

I love using a dripper on TC- no chance of a dry hit unless I set it to some ridiculously high Temp.
I want another TC device asap-
eagerly awaiting reports on the latest Kanger.
Subox has a fixed pin & no TC- waste of money, imo

Hope that helps

Reactions: Waxxiii

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
As said previously, get an APV (Mod) with TC capability and you will be able to do both (VV/VW regular/Kanthal Builds & Pre-mades as well as Ti/SS/Ni200 Builds & Pre-mades). As stated prev. SS Builds can do both so may be desirable to start. I personally prefer Titanium. Also, some people have Nickel Allergies which can be an issue (obviously). Just be mindful when/if you use a Ni200 Coil for the first time to be sure you are not sensitive.
Best of ALL worlds.

I would highly suggest taking a good look at the Asmodus Snow Wolf 75 mini TC for all your needs & desires and considering this will be your initial foray into TC Vaping. Price Point around $61-$70, Well-made and highly tested and proven, TC functions very well with the only setting to be concerned with is the Temp (varies the Watts itself accordingly) and which Wire Mode you desire. It's very capable in simple VV/VW mode as well. It is a great size and the ergonomics are pleasing. It's a single 18650 Unit so you will want to have 2 QUALITY high Amp capable Batts (ie. VTC4, HG2 or HE2, 25R, etc.) so a Back-Up is readily at hand.

Unless you are already experienced with building, would suggest choosing a good proven TC Tank that has dual capability as well (pre-made TC & Kanthal Coils and a Build Deck for Ti/Ni/SS as well). The only thing to be concerned with there is to be sure the Atty/Tank you choose is known to have a very stable Connection. TC is finicky with an unstable/wavering 510/Pos Connector/connection. An Adjustable Pos Pin in either Copper or Silver-Plated is highly desirable for that Reason. That "perfect" Atty can be somewhat hard to find on the cheap ($20-$30 range) but there are some out there. Plenty of Threads and Opinions in the ECF Community to guide ya there.

I listened to the Nay-Sayers and Poo-Poo'ers regarding TC at first too. Wish I hadn't. Now after disregarding all that and taking the TC plunge, with the exception of one RDA and a Russian 3.0 (which I will be transitioning to SS one of these days), ALL my Atties and APV's are TC and will most definitely remain so. There IS a noticeable difference and most who objectively try it WITH proper Gear, Education, Research and Education, prefer it Hands-Down over non-TC.

All the best to you whatever you decide to do :thumb:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    While I have some older VV/VW mods outfitted with SS builds and use in VV mode (just to keep them in the rotation) all the current mods I use are used with TC mode.

Many try "TC" with factory built coils with very mixed results. I would not bother attempting to match the SS TC setting on a new mod with a factory built SS coil - odds are it likely won't work well or at all.

The trouble some have with TC is ether: bum factory coils, tanks/RBA's with high static resistance or overly complicated builds.

With the above said, I mostly stick to single wire, single coil RTA/RBA's that are known to function well in TC mode. This mostly means that to get the most out of TC you'll need to wind+wick your own coils.

TC started with Ni200 wire and evolved to Ti wire and later to SS and other wire types. Just about every TC mod supports Ni200 and now Ti, many of the newer ones (as recommended below) support "manual TCR" where the user enters the TCR of the wire type they are using.

The Evic VTC Mini, the Joyetech Cuboid or the Wismic(sp?) RX200 are decent single, dual and triple 18650 mods which get high praise and can easily be recommended to a beginner.

For tanks I personally use: Kanger STM (rba deck), eLeaf Lemo2 and Smok TSV4 full size (single rba deck).

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    What can anyone tell me about temperature control? I can't be a whole lot more specific in my question because I have a zero knowledge starting point. I have seen that some more advanced vapers on TouTube have decided not to go the temperature control route and I wonder why. Is it complicated? How does it affect your vape? I'm looking into getting my next mod and want to get into sub ohming. I'm looking at the EVic VTC Mini or Subox Mini. Am I right in saying the Subox is not a temperature control device? If not would you recommend I go the temperature route?

temperature control is about keeping your coil temperature constant, or at least under control so that it doesn't get super hot and give you dry hits.

The first generation of temperature control devices require special coils for temperature control operation.
    Furthermore they operate at very low ohms resulting in some issues. (contact resistance).

Look at the ijoy solo mini.
    It does temperature control with regular coils as well as first generation temperature control with nickel.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
    For example, I build twisted and claptonized Ti builds, usually with a two coil setup. So, with a normal nickel or Ti setup, for example, or a stainless steel setup, I get a good vape at 45w and 450F. With a dual Ti build, it tends to hit weak at that point. So, I have to find a way to adjust settings in such a way that my hit works at the expected range.

SS support means temperature control support for stainless steel wire. Not all TC mods have native SS support.

The NEbox is decent. There may be some leaking issues with it. But, it's a great all-in-one device. The Evic VTC is a very good device especially with the software upgrades JT has been rolling out. My issue with it is the battery life; it uses one single 18650. A better option might be the Cuboid or Reuleaux RX 200 which uses a similar, if not the same, chip as the Evic VTC, but has more battery capacity. I haven't messed with the KBox, but Kanger seems to have decent TC chips.
    A massive thanks for the info on the stainless steal coils. That is actually a big deal to me now I know. I would have been kind of ...... if I had bought say a Topbox (I was considering it) which does not support SS (apparently it doesn’t) and then later found out I could have used a device that uses a coil that works in both TC and Wattage mode.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
    Essentially, it is a means of the mod measuring the temperature of the coil wire and adjusting applied power to hold the temp where you set it. I am one of the advanced vapers who tried it and didn't like it much. Now SS wire is available, however, I am changing my tune. I have been TC vaping all week on SS wire, and I love it.
    suprtrkr, you are fast becoming my go to guy in terms of vaping info.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
    Because most of them are old school and don't want anything restricting the temperature of their vape. They are used to sub-ohming and vaping at high wattages and high heat.

I see no reason NOT to buy a TC capable mod. The Evic VTC Mini or the Joyetech Cuboid are the way to go for a beginner. Both mods get high praise.
    Thanks. It seems that the VTC Mini is the way to go.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
    While I have some older VV/VW mods outfitted with SS builds and use in VV mode (just to keep them in the rotation) all the current mods I use are used with TC mode.

Many try "TC" with factory built coils with very mixed results. I would not bother attempting to match the SS TC setting on a new mod with a factory built SS coil - odds are it likely won't work well or at all.

The trouble some have with TC is ether: bum factory coils, tanks/RBA's with high static resistance or overly complicated builds.

With the above said, I mostly stick to single wire, single coil RTA/RBA's that are known to function well in TC mode. This mostly means that to get the most out of TC you'll need to wind+wick your own coils.

TC started with Ni200 wire and evolved to Ti wire and later to SS and other wire types. Just about every TC mod supports Ni200 and now Ti, many of the newer ones (as recommended below) support "manual TCR" where the user enters the TCR of the wire type they are using.

The Evic VTC Mini, the Joyetech Cuboid or the Wismic(sp?) RX200 are decent single, dual and triple 18650 mods which get high praise and can easily be recommended to a beginner.

For tanks I personally use: Kanger STM (rba deck), eLeaf Lemo2 and Smok TSV4 full size (single rba deck).
    Before I make a purchase I'm going to check out the Wismic RX200. I LOVE the way it looks and it's been recommended to me a few times. What can you tell me about it? I'll give the tanks you suggested a look over too. I was initially going to buy the Eviv VTC Mini kit and use the Ego One Mega tank but I've been warned that it's pretty terrible. I plan to start tank searching asap so I'll start with your suggestions.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
    temperature control is about keeping your coil temperature constant, or at least under control so that it doesn't get super hot and give you dry hits.

The first generation of temperature control devices require special coils for temperature control operation.
    Furthermore they operate at very low ohms resulting in some issues. (contact resistance).

Look at the ijoy solo mini.
    It does temperature control with regular coils as well as first generation temperature control with nickel.
    Oh, I DO like the look of this mod, A LOT. I'll look into it.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    - I have no experience with the RX200 - however with its latest firmware it has the same functionality as the single and dual 18650 units from JoyTech, (IE: 3 user settable TCR memory locations) along with 3x18650 battery life and 200W of power. :)

My VTC Mini's came with "Tron" tanks and a few factory coils. Presumably these tanks will fit a CL-R head and allow the user to build whatever fits.

The experience I have with these is very very limited - I just popped a factory TI coil into one and fired it this afternoon. (no +/- review as of yet - however its not 'horrible') All I can say is from the size it is of limited juice capacity. (and no air flow adjustment)

The RX200 is a fine choice, I'd have one excepting that I already spent this months vaping budget on a Cubiod, Cubis and 4 LG HG2's.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    suprtrkr, you are fast becoming my go to guy in terms of vaping info.
    I am delighted I am able to help. That's why I am here. Believe me when I tell you I am very grateful for the help I got-- and still get, I am not expert in everything-- from other vapers more experienced than I when I was lost in the wilderness myself. Remember, though, there aren't any actual rules-- except for safety-- and there are variances of opinion. When these variances appear, I try to point out that mine is opinion and others disagree. This TC debate is a classic example. Some folks love it any way they can get it; others like it with Ti or Ni or SS wire, and not otherwise; still others think it's a gimmick and won't use it. This vaping stuff is highly individualistic. The only real question is, does it keep you off the sticks? If it does, and you aren't doing anything unsafe, then yours is the right way. Finding your personal vape is the hardest thing to do; for many people this changes over time-- as your taste buds heal from smoking, for example-- and sometimes by time of day or mood. I love to subohm and blow cloud (small cloud, not gigantic) but at my age, I can't take it first thing in the morning or too late at night or I get overamped on the nic and can't sleep or breathe. So I blow cloud midday, and shade closer to the tootle puffer side mornings and late evenings. For me, this is easy. I switch flavors several times a day anyway, and I have multiple mods, tanks and drippers. I set some of them up one way, and some the other, and just grab whichever one my mood favors. Those with just one mod, or one and a backup, are more limited. To some extent this can be remedied by several tanks, with different coils and flavors. Pop on the new one, adjust the wattage, and you're good to go. That's the direction I'd point you, at least at the beginning, until (and if) your collection grows. As for TC, give it a try. You might love it. If you don't, no problem: any TC mod can be used with Kanthal coils in regular wattage mode.

Reactions: ShowerHead

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 9, 2015
    Ft. Vape-WKY
    IF, you choose a Device that has the ability/Profile to manually set or adjust the TCR (the Variable that sets the Main Parameter of the Algorithm), then it essentially has the capability to run any TC appropriate Wire accurately .
    At least that's what I understand by the Postings and Logic of the TC Senseis. Maybe Tony, druckle, QM, or the Bloke will see this Thread and chime in to either confirm or correct that Assessment.

zanzi

Jan 18, 2016
    Thanks. It seems that the VTC Mini is the way to go

imo, you can't go wrong with it.
    The Wismec Rouleaux is more or less just a bigger, heavier version.
    (I can't be bothered with keeping 3 batts "paired" & I avoid on-board charging as much as possible)

I'd avoid the TopBox unit- yesterday I had 3 mls leak out of my topfill clone top to authentic Kanger base & RBA-
    had been fine for a couple weeks
    so I'm steering clear of topfill tanks.

You can put together an STM cheaply from authentic parts available on eg fasttech - just means you have to buy your own wire & wicking material.
    The RBA coil head is easy to build- get a spare- authentic only.

A two post dripper is easier, & using a dripper with Evic TC is great-
    stealthy, drama-free little unit.

After you've tried TC- you'll be better able to decide your next step

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Go with one of the Joyetech devices, which include the RX 200 you mentioned.
    Just be aware that the RX 200 is NOT pocket friendly! I have one and it is a homebody, doesn't go out and about with me. Otherwise, just as nice as my eVic-Mini. All the Joyectech devices have updated to version 3 firmware and that is the best menu system on any of the devices I have.
    I'm not a high wattage vaper, I use around 35W and TC with my SS 430 coils.
    I use a Crown with the RBA, but also had good luck with my SubTank Minis with the RBAs.
    I'd avoid any tank that does not have an RBA because I see wildly different results from people using SS factory coils and TC. Some do fine, most have problems.
    Good luck and have fun. Vaping can be as complex as you want or as simple. Main thing is to have a consistent vape. That will let you enjoy it and stay off analogs.

Reactions: zanzi
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread