Tenergy RCR123 what gives???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
Hey Drozd, why is the max discharge rate of the AW LiFePO4 batts so much higher than the Tenergys? Same chemistry, right?
They are not the "same" chemistry. LiFePo4 batts are actually 3.2v and can charge up to 3.8v. As others have said there is no PCB on the yellows either to limit current output. The yellow tenergy will always seem to perfom better....

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Hey Drozd, why is the max discharge rate of the AW LiFePO4 batts so much higher than the Tenergys? Same chemistry, right?

yeah the chemistry should be the same...that's just the specs put out by the companies and dealers... tenergy says <550mA .....andrew from AW says that AW ones are good up to 10C....even did some tests firing the AW's underwater...
it may even have something to do with protection levels, venting, and temperatures...and I'll admit that I dont have the numbers for when LiFePo goes unstable (I do for Li-Ion and LiMN)

Personally....as for tenergy...well...I think they're junk....worse than *fire even...I won't own them....so I havent torn them apart to examine them

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
They are not the "same" chemistry. LiFePo4 batts are actually 3.2v and can charge up to 3.8v. As others have said there is no PCB on the yellows either to limit current output. The yellow tenergy will always seem to perfom better....

will seem to perform better than what?.....the blue tenergy certainly because of the PCB on the blue tenergy...

but perform better ....that's subjective....one type of trash performing better than other trash...doesnt mean that they still arent trash...

and he was asking about the AW LiFePo4 versus the yellow tenergy LiFePo as far as being the same chemistry....
funny too that the tenergy specs say that their peak max voltage is 3.6V.....and here you say 3.8V...

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
will seem to perform better than what?.....the blue tenergy certainly because of the PCB on the blue tenergy...

but perform better ....that's subjective....one type of trash performing better than other trash...doesnt mean that they still arent trash...

and he was asking about the AW LiFePo4 versus the yellow tenergy LiFePo as far as being the same chemistry....
funny too that the tenergy specs say that their peak max voltage is 3.6V.....and here you say 3.8V...
Guess I should have read the question a little better. More often than not the peak voltage is over 3.6v on the yellow tenergy. I know what the website says. I was refering to the blue v yellow tenergy

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Guess I should have read the question a little better. More often than not the peak voltage is over 3.6v on the yellow tenergy. I know what the website says. I was refering to the blue v yellow tenergy

see I'd have an issue with that...a 3V battery should settle in at 3.2V...and at max be 3.6V...if it's regularly charging beyond specs to 3.8V...I'd say that's a problem... and the OP was saying that his are charging to 4.2V (the blue ones even though they are 3V)....that to me is a big indication that there's something wrong

Rippspeed

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
A, A
the AW 16340 LiFePo4 should perform stronger than both the blue and the yellow tenergy...

look at the specs on the yellow tenergy... see where it says
" Maximum discharging rate:< 550 mA "

that's saying there's a max drain rate of <.55A on those batteries
the amp draw of a 4.5Ω HV atty at 6V is 1.33A

so see where the battery is woefully underpowered and being overstressed by regular usage...

now the AW 16340 3V LiFePo4 has a 10C discharge rate which translates to <4.5A so it's capable of way more than the 1.33A needed
so this wouldnt matter even if you stacked them for 6volt vaping ???

another question Drozd, is if you stack 2 500mah 3volt battery does mean you have 1000mah @ 6volts or does it mean you have 500mah @ 6volts... Sorry I just dont understand these batteries... Because people talk about mah for hours of vaping... So 2 500mah would get me 10hours or 5hrs ???

And will the AW 16340 batteries perform these same even if I use ikenvape's HV 5.2Ω atties ???

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
so this wouldnt matter even if you stacked them for 6volt vaping ???

another question Drozd, is if you stack 2 500mah 3volt battery does mean you have 1000mah @ 6volts or does it mean you have 500mah @ 6volts... Sorry I just dont understand these batteries... Because people talk about mah for hours of vaping... So 2 500mah would get me 10hours or 5hrs ???

nope...the max drain rate wouldnt change...and stacked for 6V the mAh wouldnt double...if you ran them in parralel they'd be 1000mah at 3V....in series (stacked) they're 500mAh at 6V...

the amount of time they last can get tricky... you can actually take the amp draw of the given atty at a given voltage....and divide that by the mAh rating of the battery and kinda rough out the ammount of time they'd last...

I'm going to use the AW LiFePo4 here as an example....stacked for 6V...running a 4.5Ω HV atty....

amp draw is the voltage divided by the resistance... so in this case...6V/4.5Ω=1.33A

now the AW LiFePo4 are 500mAh...
first you can take the mah (in amps) and multipy by the c rating of the battery to get the max drain rating ...in this case....5A * 10C= 5A.....so it's capable of a max drain way higher than the amp draw...

now....as far as time...take the amp draw in mA and divide by the mAh rating of the battery and that'll give you the C rate of discharge....divide 60minutes by the C rate and convert to seconds (*60) .....so here, we have 1330mA/ 500mAh= 2.66C......60min/2.66C= 22.56min....1353 seconds (that would be continuous)

so you break that up by how many sec on average you hit the PV and how many times you take a drag on average...so in this case 270 5second long drags...if I hit that once every other minute that would last me roughly 9 hours (once a minute would be 4.5 hours)

and that math works with any battery really..
for example an 18650 at 3.7V
(I'm going to use my prefered AW 2600mAh for example)

with a 1.5Ω LR atty....3789seconds
with a 2.3Ω 510 atty....5806 sec
with a 2.5Ω 306 atty....6315sec
with a 3.1Ω turbo carto..7826 sec
with a 3.7Ω 901 atty.....9473 sec

EDIT: my point is...that even with the same battery the resistance of the atty or carto changes the lifespan of the battery a lot... and that just stacking batteries won't gain you time or mAh just the voltage gets doubled..

Last edited:

Rippspeed

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
A, A
Thanx Drozd;

I just finished ordering 10 AW 16340 and the charger and 5 HV atties from Ikenvape... Thanx for the lesson ...

Here what I've learn pls tell me if I'm wrong :
Using 2 - AW16340 with the Ikenvape 5.2Ω atty
6volt / 5.2Ω = 1.15A

1150MA / 500mah = 2.3C

60min / 2.3C = 26min

26min X 60sec = 1560sec

1560sec / 5second hits = 312hits

So basically with the 2 - AW 16340 batteries on a 5.2Ω Atty; I should get 312 hits of it correct ???

But anyway if you think AW 16340 are junk whats your preference on batteries ????

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Thanx Drozd;

I just finished ordering 10 AW 16340 and the charger and 5 HV atties from Ikenvape... Thanx for the lesson ...

Here what I've learn pls tell me if I'm wrong :
Using 2 - AW16340 with the Ikenvape 5.2Ω atty
6volt / 5.2Ω = 1.15A

1150MA / 500mah = 2.3C

60min / 2.3C = 26min

26min X 60sec = 1560sec

1560sec / 5second hits = 312hits

So basically with the 2 - AW 16340 batteries on a 5.2Ω Atty; I should get 312 hits of it correct ???

But anyway if you think AW 16340 are junk whats your preference on batteries ????

yep all your math looks right...

I didnt say I think the AW are junk...I think the tenergy are...

My personal battery preference is:
for 18650 at 3.7V my preference is the AW 2600mAh (provided you can use a flat top cell)

for 3.7V in a single 16340 cell I use the AW LiMN 16340 high drain

for 6V stacked 16350 3V AW LiFePo4...

for 7.4V stacked AW 16340 AW LiMN high drain

but I'm using 510 atties (though very recently been moving to 306 atties)

Rippspeed

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
A, A
yep all your math looks right...

I didnt say I think the AW are junk...I think the tenergy are...

My personal battery preference is:
for 18650 at 3.7V my preference is the AW 2600mAh (provided you can use a flat top cell)

for 3.7V in a single 16340 cell I use the AW LiMN 16340 high drain

for 6V stacked 16350 3V AW LiFePo4...

for 7.4V stacked AW 16340 AW LiMN high drain

but I'm using 510 atties (though very recently been moving to 306 atties)
hhhmm one of these day I would like to try 7.4volt ... But what does those 306 atties look like ... got a link ???

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
hhhmm one of these day I would like to try 7.4volt ... But what does those 306 atties look like ... got a link ???

well here's a link....
JOYE306 Atomizer

they're threaded the same as a 510 (so use a 510 fitting)...just a slightly higher resistance (like 2.5Ω instead of the 2.3Ω)... but are exposed wick like the m4xx series...so they make for good dripping (or dipping atties)

mike20

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
ohio
Wondering why the Tenergy is considered junk. Don't have any opinion just limited experience with them [bought them because of the price]. Been using them for a few weeks and they seem OK so far. But maybe they won't last ? If they don't I will try the AW. I'm using the Lifepo4 3 volt stacked for 6.
Was also thinking of paralleling 2 stacks of 2.
Any opinions ?

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Wondering why the Tenergy is considered junk. Don't have any opinion just limited experience with them [bought them because of the price]. Been using them for a few weeks and they seem OK so far. But maybe they won't last ? If they don't I will try the AW. I'm using the Lifepo4 3 volt stacked for 6.
Was also thinking of paralleling 2 stacks of 2.
Any opinions ?

let me be clear....some people like them...

I however think they're crap...
I think their style of PCB in the blue ones with the voltage regulation makes for a weak battery...

and I think that the yellow ones are crap because the super low max drain rate on them of <.55A is really insufficent to really adequately power even the weakest of atties..resulting in voltage sag so you're not getting true voltage....and the overstress of them because of that will severely shorten their useable cycle life (and if you're stacking batteries to get 6V and then because they cant keep up with the amp draw and suffer voltage sag so you're not really getting 6V....well then what's the point)

and personally I think it's silly to spend upwards of $80 for a mod...and then cheap out on the batteries and because of it not get the best possible performance possible

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
but it says here standard is CC 250ma CV 3.6v
does that mean charge it at 3.6volt
lighthound.com/AW-LiFePO4-3-Volt-Lithium-Rechargeable-Battery_p_112.html

it also says in the description:
Charge these batteries with UltraFire 3 volt / 3.6 volt charger on the 3 volt setting only.

3.6V is the peak voltage....meaning that you charge it on the 3V setting...it should stop or settle to 3.2V...and the absolute highest it should ever go is 3.6V....

Rippspeed

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
A, A
it also says in the description:

3.6V is the peak voltage....meaning that you charge it on the 3V setting...it should stop or settle to 3.2V...and the absolute highest it should ever go is 3.6V....

Thanx Drozd;
I've had these batteries for a couple of days and the seem to give me a smoother TH and more flavor. But the yellow tenergy gets more vapor just by alittle bit more but with burn taste...

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Thanx Drozd;
I've had these batteries for a couple of days and the seem to give me a smoother TH and more flavor. But the yellow tenergy gets more vapor just by alittle bit more but with burn taste...

Ah..but like we said you were charging those yellow up to 4.2V...which is more than those batteries should be charged to...so dangerously overcharging them...and therefore more voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread