testing your DIY flavors : dda? atomizer type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I use 510 bridgeless atomizers. You can get them in the states but they cost more than from China Buye. Here is a link:

5 Pcs GS-Bridgeless 3-Hole Colorful Electronic Cigarette Atomizer - Random Color

easy to use, just drip about 5-6 drops in and let it sit a few minutes. Drip about 2-3 more drops in and vape away. Every few puffs you will need to add another drop or two. Easy to clean - just rinse with hot water and blow through the 510 connector end. If you use a strong flavor, a few hour soak in cheap vodka and a good rinse as described will usually do the trick to get them nice and clean again. Note: I do not dry burn these attys. For me they last a long time with proper care.

I am sure you will get more ideas. Some use regular dripping atomizers, but for ease of use these work very well for me. JMHO!

Good luck!

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Those seem like a pretty good way to do it.I first started with a couple of bridged atty's,and at the time didn't know any better so i would always dry burn them,they only lasted maybe 5-10 runs before they were shot,just a foul nasty burnt taste.Since then i have 2 regular rda's that i keep wicked with silica,that way i can try 2 mixes then just rinse them out in the sink ,dry burn them,and i'm ready for 2 more.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I just got an Igo-S, the real little one, and I love it! I coil and wick it very similar to what I have in my Kayfuns, and when I tested out the flavor of my regular ADV in it, it was perfect! So I know I'll get a "true" taste. I use rayon for wicking, and if I'm going to change flavors, I just put a new wick in it -- I'm just getting my feet wet with DIY, so I don't do a lot of mixing and needing to taste -- yet. :)

Andria

Tried it all and I found that readyxwick works the best for tasting flavors you get great flavor off of it better than almost any wicking material definitely worth the price because a foot lasts months. image.jpg

dopamine1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
ohio
I use an IGO-L with a tiny wick made from japanese cotton pads, I cut it super short, just a few mm on each side of the wick. That way I can put a few drops on and vape it until it's dry, and that usually prevents the flavors from mixing too much. I don't inhale ever because of the constant dry hits. I re-wick if the flavors start to get 'blurry' if that makes sense, or if my wick starts smoldering...

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Cotton is Cotton
The processing - from growth through packaging is what makes subtle differences.
Japanese = No pesticides while growing and more entailed processing for a more even threading and quality look(i.e. no cotton ball knots)

Rayon is man made seems to have No noticeable back notes and has a greater capillary action.
Rayon strands do not attempt to stick together which allows for more/better liquid transfer.
Properly set up, Rayon seems to last much longer without Gunk build up and coils seem to remain cleaner.
YMMV :)

I switched to testing in the Device I am mixing for. I have found Flavors can change dramatically from device to device.
What taste great in a Kayfun may become very weird in a T3-mini. :blink:

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Cotton is Cotton
The processing - from growth through packaging is what makes subtle differences.
Japanese = No pesticides while growing and more entailed processing for a more even threading and quality look(i.e. no cotton ball knots)

Rayon is man made seems to have No noticeable back notes and has a greater capillary action.
Rayon strands do not attempt to stick together which allows for more/better liquid transfer.
Properly set up, Rayon seems to last much longer without Gunk build up and coils seem to remain cleaner.
YMMV :)

I switched to testing in the Device I am mixing for. I have found Flavors can change dramatically from device to device.
What taste great in a Kayfun may become very weird in a T3-mini. :blink:

That's why I tested the same ejuice I use in my kayfuns, in my new Igo-S... same exact taste, perfect. If my regular, with which I'm most familiar, tastes exactly the same in the Igo-S as it does in the Kayfun, then I think it's a great device for testing anything in. Of course I tried to replicate the coil that I use in the kayfun, though I did have to go down to a 3/32, the Igo-S is so small, whereas I use 7/64 in the Kayfun, but same resistance, and same wick (you're right, rayon is excellent!).

I'm much too new at DIY to make large quantities of anything yet; plus the fact that both my Kayfuns are usually full of my ADV, higher mg for daytime, lower mg at night, so I'd really rather keep them the way they are.

Andria

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I know what you mean Andria. I have 7 Kayfuns and they are always full. I'm a flavor swapper, but have some that are a must everyday.
I trust my IGO-L's and an Omega for coming close for the Kayfuns.
Just found out the hard way - Filled a T3-mini with RWHY4 - that not all devices are equal.(taste wise):(
A few small tweaks and I have an acceptable blend for the T3-mini's<my at work tanks>

While I love the Idea of using a Bridgeless atomizer...........I've never been successful in making them perform for me. I know they work well, just not for me.:glare:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I know what you mean Andria. I have 7 Kayfuns and they are always full. I'm a flavor swapper, but have some that are a must everyday.
I trust my IGO-L's and an Omega for coming close for the Kayfuns.
Just found out the hard way - Filled a T3-mini with RWHY4 - that not all devices are equal.(taste wise):(
A few small tweaks and I have an acceptable blend for the T3-mini's<my at work tanks>

While I love the Idea of using a Bridgeless atomizer...........I've never been successful in making them perform for me. I know they work well, just not for me.:glare:

Same here, if you mean those old-style 510 dripping attys; I could never get anything from them except a taste of hot metal, or [gurgle]. There is about one hair of difference between too little juice (hot metal) and too much (gurgle), and I think I might have found that teensy tiny sweet spot about once... maybe twice... just not worth it to me. Since I learned to build and wick coils, I've really enjoyed my kayfuns, but my Caterpillar just blows -- literally; it's so airy I can't really taste anything from it, and the draw is EXACTLY like sucking air from a straw. I had just about given up on the whole idea of dripping, till Rossum suggested the tiny-chambered and tight-drawing Igo-S -- NOW I begin to appreciate dripping! At least for the convenience of tasting juices; still really don't get why anyone would want to constantly fiddle with dripping as a regular pasttime. Too much hassle! I like 5ml tanks! :D

Andria

Cotton has better flavor than rayon it also holes more juice and it's not as messy rayon gives me a burnt taste when the wick is still fully saturated this is just my experience I only vape sub ohm and I wouldn't recommend rayon if you do it's just not on cottons level as far as wicking juice capacity flavor etc yeah it's cheap but wick material as a whole is cheap so I would rather spend 25$ for 80 cotton pads then buy a box of stuff that feels like it came out of a stuffed animal lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread