The BEAST is here NOW- Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah Battery for your eVic, eGo-T mod and others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I keep seeing the Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh advertised on "some" sites as "protected"and others don't say. I have been led to understand that protected batteries should not be used in VV/VW devices.
Can someone enlighten me?

That is because the Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah comes in both a protected and unprotected models.

When it comes to batteries in general, sometimes it's very hard to dig up the exact specifics they have. When it comes to MOD's ( VV, VW, regulated or unregulated ) which battery you choose will depend on the capabilities of the MOD... You want the battery you choose to exceed the requirements that you are going to ask of it. This battery is capable of putting out between 3-3.4 amps of current ( probably closer to 3 since many of these are slightly overrated, so play it on the safe side )... as long as your MOD doesn't pull more than what the battery is capable of... you can use whatever battery you choose ... protected or not.

In MOD's that are expected to have high amperage loads... you will likely want at least one of these types if not a ICR or similar high drain battery but it will still depend on what amps you are going to be asking of the battery. For instance, Smoktech's Bolt is technically considered a mechanical mod but the switch and internal wiring won't allow higher than 3a loads at best where as a high end mech mod may be capable of over 10a or more ( just depending on the construction of course with some going up to 30-50a ). On the otherhand... you'll typically find that most standard VV / VW mod's are rated up to 3-4a with the exception of some of the newest high end ones such as the ones with the DNA20 ( and up since they've released newer higher power ones now ). So most of the standard VV/VW mods will just need modest batteries capable of providing 4a-5a of load... and the higher end ones may need batteries capable of providing 30a-50a.

So really it is getting hard to generalize... and finding info about specific batteries ( or the mod's themselves ) is sometimes tough since many of the reseller's don't provide complete info about the products... not to mention that the choices we are seeing now have expanded so much.

Reactions: metalic

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I actually did post the info I had found... if you didn't see it, you must have skimmed over it, didn't read it or ignored it...

The amount of current a battery can deliver isn't determined by what voltage it can be discharged down to which is a completely different attribute that batteries have... Each battery has a max recommended discharge rate which is called its "C Rating" and it is related to the total capacity of the battery itself... In this case the total battery capacity is 3400mah ... a 1 C rating ( if that is what it had ) would mean it could deliver 3400mah, in otherwords 3.4 amps of current. I was unable to find the discharge C rating on Panasonic's website but a 3rd party had tested it to be at 2.9a or just under 1C .

Rechargable batteries also have a charge C rating in addition to the discharge C rating...

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
1C is incorrect, I do not know where did you get it.

ncr18650 b is 2C

6.8A

There is no official source for the info ( ie from Panasonic )... there is only that which is tested on forums such as the various flashlight forums etc. The page you linked to mentioned to not charge over 4.29v which is incorrect and should be closer to 4.2v or 4.21v. If it is any consolation, I have seen that number ( max charge voltage ) listed in many places but most have been recanted later... I think it started out as a typo but I can't say for certain... but it does bring question about any other info listed about the battery anywhere you look. In situations like this, I go by the most pessimistic value which are safer. All questions could be avoided if Panasonic would release their own full specs and we didn't have to rely on third parties

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
PS... virtually every lithium battery I've seen has shown at the least a 2C amp load limit... so I'm not so much arguing that info as much as saying I'm not accepting it until I've also found testing results that indicate otherwise due to of the lack of official info... I'll choose the safer limit unless and until I see enough tests from enough other 3rd party sources to say otherwise.

3a on an ecig is a lot of power and would be sufficient for most vapors other than the minority of the sub-ohm group... for the sub-ohm group I don't think 6.8a ( 2c ) is enough to maintain a good safety margin... so this battery should be fine for most people. Panasonic makes a good quality battery that lasts a long time ( lifespan )... So the only question would be which category does the vapor fit in... the average or the sub-ohm one...

Last edited:

Azagtoth502

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
Tomball, TX
Greeting folks......well more reading has me curious.
I bought the protected version of this batt & have been using it in my Vamo for a few weeks now with no trouble.
Someone mentioned it's best not to use a protected batt with a VV mod such as my Vamo.

Now to clarify for me....is this safe or no?
Would I better off using the unprotected version instead or should I just use an IMR instead. ( I do have an Efest as well)

Many thanks!

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
On the Vamo's it isn't a matter of safe or not... it is a matter of the amperage limit that a protected battery may impose on it. The v2 Vamo is rated at up to 4a... later models can go to 5a. I'd go with an IMR ( which are unprotected ) so you don't limit your potential output.

BTW... if you vape at lower amperage limits than what the protection ( in the battery ) is set for... you could still use a protected cell.. it just doesn't gain you anything to speak of since the protection in the electronics are also there.

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
Greeting folks......well more reading has me curious.
I bought the protected version of this batt & have been using it in my Vamo for a few weeks now with no trouble.
Someone mentioned it's best not to use a protected batt with a VV mod such as my Vamo.

Now to clarify for me....is this safe or no?
Would I better off using the unprotected version instead or should I just use an IMR instead. ( I do have an Efest as well)

Many thanks!

If you have protected cells with Orbtronic label on them you are OK.
90% of other protected cells will not let you go above 4-5 amps.
Orbies are set to cut at 8-12 amps.

Last edited:

Slose

Jan 8, 2013
Portland Oregon
The 3400's can easily do 0.5ohm coils (6-8amp ) Cause those 2c statistics are for continuous discharge till dead. They even tested it at 5amps continuous and it still brought over 3000mah so it's not even straining at 5amp continuous. We don't use it like that and just pulse it for a 3-5 sec and let it sit for awhile big difference. Even on orbittonics site they say 12amp pulse current. 3.25amp is a joke lol but truthfully most people think these 30amp batteries are best for sub-ohm but truthfully the 2900mah Pany NCR18650PD's when pulsed can pull the same amps with more amp hours and are a better cell then anything sony or efest could ever create. Panasonic is the only battery you should run with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread