The Burrito Wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I recently bought and reviewed the iHybrid mods Synthesis atty, and was not very stoked on how it worked with a standard or u-wick setup- at least when compared to a standard iHy. So, after hearing from some friends via facebook and witnessing their success, I went ahead and made my own wick design with some improvements of my own:

SAM_0401.jpg

I call it the Burrito (LOL). It's a dual wick setup with a small piece of mesh wrapped around both of them on the atty deck. Currently, I have it set up as a 2/3 wrap at .7 ohms, although in the photo it was a 3/4 wrap at .9 ohms.

Synthesis, meet the performance of the iHy. My work here is done...for now. :evil:

Ninja

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
Hey Ninja,

Can you provide more details on the process/wicks? It looks like there is silica wick in the tank - but I could be misinterpreting the image. I currently use a "burrito" of SS wrapped around a single silica wick. None of my current atomizers allow for multiple wicks - but I'd like to "bookmark" this idea for when that changes.

Thanks!

Last edited:

thecatanddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Earth
makes complete sense, i mean only applicable to certain setups and really probably only the synthesis, most other DC gennys are able to handle a u wick properly, and a u wick makes more sense (for a few reasons) than this setup does, i don't see a need for this other than with the synthesis. with that being said i think if you own a synthesis and want to run something this would be adequate if other setups have not proven to be worthy.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
I made a setup similar in the use of extra sheets of mesh, but only with one wick. It basically looks like a torch. 3 seperate mesh pieces rolled atop one another around the coil section of the wick, all with the same width (I think about 1cm if memory serves), but each layer in increasingly bigger lenths by 2-3mm - so as to create a taper at the bottom as a gradient to the base wick.

Brand new, it's performing rather well. I'm sure there's better, but this design lends itself extremely well to tilting. That torch-head just seems to suck in the juice with a quick tilt... much better than the few normal wicks I've made so far. With a 2 o'clock tilt, I can actually detect the flavor increasing within a couple of puffs. If I keep it at 3 o'clock between hits, it will flood the coil pretty quickly and I get gurgling. I imagine any good wick would do the same, but this one seems to do it alot quicker... at least compared to the ones I've made. Flavor is pretty decent for a fresh wick, and I'm hoping it will scorch my taste buds in a day or two as it seasons.

Oxidized only the torch head. It's quite a pita to make, and only if it continues to perform well will I continue to make them like this. Have to wait and see.

Attachments

• 136c.jpg
    136c.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 34

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Just an update for everyone...

I still run my burrito in the synth- These days, I make sure to roll and push in the sides of the wick before I install it, to make it round rather than oval-shaped. This improves the airflow and vapor production a bit, and also decreases the diameter of the burrito section. The updated design runs at a lower resistance, and heats up much faster than the original- but the idea is exactly the same.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying it! Vape on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread