The CORRECT way to use flat top batteries in a Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
A blob of solder makes for a passable button top battery.

OMG, did I say that out loud? Haha. Let the lynching begin...

Sent from my Lumia 1020

To be fair, I thought about it, but I decided that a solder gun on a battery connector could go wrong explosively. I know other people have done it.

I have AAA -> D plastic battery housings that have never given me an issue, so I figured the tinfoil would do the same thing. My science teacher would be so ashamed.

darkgear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Islands in the middle of the sea
I'm not encouraging bad behavior, just saying it would work and it's a leap better than tin foil. ;)

Coming from the world of RC's and Custom flashlights, I've done or seen it all. When Li-ion batts were first introduced we used to charge them in a 5 gallon bucket of sand, even with an intelligent charger. I've seen my share of mushroom clouds before they properly manufactured venting holes in them. Even now, with balanced chargers and multiple protection circuits, most RC'ers still buy charging bags to charge LiPo's in, so when a battery vents it won't cause a fire. (As a side note, IMO, mech mods with venting holes in them are a bad idea. If a batt vents, you don't want that kind of vape or heat to get out so easily. We make flashlights to contain battery vents not to let them out.)

Flat top batts are dangerous because most of them don't have that magic circuit under the button that prevents over current, over charging, shorts, and over discharging. Without the protection circuit they are no more than tiny time bombs.

Just to be clear. I was kidding about the solder :) Buy good batteries and don't take the unnecessary risk.

Best regards,
Randy

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I guess you never seen what a flashlight looks like when it explodes or the amount of damage they do to the person holding it and the surrounding area. one story showed a destroyed coffee maker and range hood while the person received severe damage to both arms.

just a few months back a modder created a homemade mechanical with no vent holes, when it shorted it blew out all of his teeth and part of his lower jaw, at the same time catching his house on fire.

so given a choice i will take the venting mods over the exploding ones. i would rather be given the choice to toss the venting tube across the room as opposed to it just deciding to pop in my living room

there is a reason we use safer chemistry batteries because they vent not explode or burst into flames, and the vent holes in the mod means your not holding a pipe bomb next to your face.

We make flashlights to contain battery vents not to let them out
well sort of, searching just now i had to specifically look for "explosion proof flashlights" houston police says they are changing the design of the flashlights they use now that an officer has been injured by an explosion.

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Even now, with balanced chargers and multiple protection circuits, most RC'ers still buy charging bags to charge LiPo's in, so when a battery vents it won't cause a fire.

I have one of those. I figured a bunch of smoke was a far better risk than flames that would burn the house down if something went wrong with one of my chargers.

It's a cheap way to minimize that risk.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
kitty does not look amused.

5jhh.jpg

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
i put a piece of tinfoil on top of the battery, it worked and i vaped it, but it kept getting hotter. i took out the bottom cap and sparks flew everywhere.

hmmm...

any good mods that take flat tops? my batteries still work but it feels like a waste for the three i just bought.

I was hoping this was a joke.

By any chance did you read ANYTHING on Provape's site; ESPECIALLY the section regarding batteries?
Silly me.....of course he didn't.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Greek,

Avail Vapor has a Magneto clone for relatively cheap (for a brick and mortar) that telescopes. I bought one for 50 bucks as an anniversary present and it works great. Takes anything from 18350s all the way up to an 18650 button top.

This thing is solid too with stainless steel construction and a magnetic switch that should theoretically last forever.....or until the poles shift :)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
well sort of, searching just now i had to specifically look for "explosion proof flashlights" houston police says they are changing the design of the flashlights they use now that an officer has been injured by an explosion.

I know I'm getting into this late in the game, but working in the industrial gas industry, this is a subject near and dear to my heart.
Certifying a flashlight "explosion proof" does NOT mean it will not fail catastrophically if the battery vents violently. It ONLY means that the flashlight, in good condition, is safe to use in an explosive atmosphere.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
i put a piece of tinfoil on top of the battery, it worked and i vaped it, but it kept getting hotter. i took out the bottom cap and sparks flew everywhere.

hmmm...

any good mods that take flat tops? my batteries still work but it feels like a waste for the three i just bought.

Anything that is telescopic, such at K100, M16, and like a million others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread