• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The Crackdown on the Vaping Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Heh. Willing to bet if you follow the money it leads back to the tobacco lobby, or whatever the Canadian equivalent is. It’s possible the representatives in question don’t even know they’re shilling for the tobacco industry.
Most of the money from tobacco sales goes to government as taxes. The objections to vaping come from the people whose funding would decline if everybody stopped smoking. Three years ago one person was vaping where II work. Today there are as many vapers as smokers. It's an emergency. The only solution is to ban ecigs while cigarettes remain for sale the same as always.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Most of the money from tobacco sales goes to government as taxes. The objections to vaping come from the people whose funding would decline if everybody stopped smoking. Three years ago one person was vaping where II work. Today there are as many vapers as smokers. It's an emergency. The only solution is to ban ecigs while cigarettes remain for sale the same as always.

things may be changing then. 5 years ago in the US 99% of opposition came from RJ Reynolds and Galaxo Smith Kline (makers of the patch)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
things may be changing then. 5 years ago in the US 99% of opposition came from RJ Reynolds and Galaxo Smith Kline (makers of the patch)
In the early months after I switched to vaping I got very interested in the public discussion about ecigs. The tobacco companies and related commercial interests seemed quiet but the so-called public health community was spewing garbage. Lately at least one of the major tobacco companies is advocating and supporting smokers switching to vaping, etc. I think they mean it. In the meantime the public health crowd sounds dumber and dumber. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and especially if it quacks the same nonsense as a duck, well then, it's a duck. And now even the Feds are starting to sound sensible thanks to the new FDA boss who says, how about, instead of banning ecigs while cigarettes stay for sale as always lets go easiier on ecigs and take most of the nicotine out of cigarettes. I would have supported that when I was still smoking and didn't have a clue about ecigs. After all that who is still whining? That would be the tax supported institutions whose funding would decline if tobacco taxes go away. Follow the money.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In the early months after I switched to vaping I got very interested in the public discussion about ecigs. The tobacco companies and related commercial interests seemed quiet but the so-called public health community was spewing garbage. Lately at least one of the major tobacco companies is advocating and supporting smokers switching to vaping, etc. I think they mean it. In the meantime the public health crowd sounds dumber and dumber. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and especially if it quacks the same nonsense as a duck, well then, it's a duck. And now even the Feds are starting to sound sensible thanks to the new FDA boss who says, how about, instead of banning ecigs while cigarettes stay for sale as always lets go easiier on ecigs and take most of the nicotine out of cigarettes. I would have supported that when I was still smoking and didn't have a clue about ecigs. After all that who is still whining? That would be the tax supported institutions whose funding would decline if tobacco taxes go away. Follow the money.
Oh they were always quiet. They did their work with back channel funding and offers of “assistance” in drafting legislation. The most elegant one imho was pouring money into a Chicago city election to get anti ecig laws put in for the town that included specifically any resteraunt that was based in town. Chicago you see is the chain resteraunt epicenter. Most of them are based in Chicago. This got an effective national ban on vaping in resteraunts.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Oh they were always quiet. They did their work with back channel funding and offers of “assistance” in drafting legislation. The most elegant one imho was pouring money into a Chicago city election to get anti ecig laws put in for the town that included specifically any resteraunt that was based in town. Chicago you see is the chain resteraunt epicenter. Most of them are based in Chicago. This got an effective national ban on vaping in resteraunts.
Chicago has extravagently high cigarette taxes. I recall may be second only to NYC. May be they would both go bankrupt if everybody switched to vaping. They don't need much encouragement to hate ecigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread